It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 04:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Mom did everything right

Dear friends,

I wish all of you who are Christians a Happy Easter, and Happy Spring to everyone! I looked out of my window this morning to find a winter wonderland of snow ... somebody got the seasons wrong! I'm still planning to drive to church for an 8:15 breakfast (everyone brings something) and then the service.

But I wanted to start this thread as a way of saying, "Don't worry about the future, what will be will be."

My Mom did everything right to prevent Dementia. Until the age of 96 she still went swimming 2 or 3 times a week. She read books, did crossword puzzles, went to the opera and Broadway plays, movies. She had an active social life, was on several committees (political party, church and senior center) and did volunteer work. She took a lively interest in the lives of her children and grandchildren and then great grandchildren.

There is no history of AD in the family except one uncle who was 'an in-law."

Yet starting around age 90 or a bit earlier, her mind began to wander. I just saw an 102 year old woman hit a hole in one playing golf. They interviewed her and she was completely lucid. So it cannot be age alone, although Mom's doctors call it 'senile dementia' or old age dementia.

My advice is to live your life doing what makes you feel happy and useful, and relax. Have fun with your family and friends, and do not waste any time worrying about the future!

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 04-08-2007 at 04:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

zonk HB User
Re: Mom did everything right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha H View Post
Dear friends,

I wish all of you who are Christians a Happy Easter, and Happy Spring to everyone! I looked out of my window this morning to find a winter wonderland of snow ... somebody got the seasons wrong! I'm still planning to drive to church for an 8:15 breakfast (everyone brings something) and then the service.

But I wanted to start this thread as a way of saying, "Don't worry about the future, what will be will be."

My Mom did everything right to prevent Dementia. Until the age of 96 she still went swimming 2 or 3 times a week. She read books, did crossword puzzles, went to the opera and Broadway plays, movies. She had an active social life, was on several committees (political party, church and senior center) and did volunteer work. She took a lively interest in the lives of her children and grandchildren and then great grandchildren.

There is no history of AD in the family except one uncle who was 'an in-law."

Yet starting around age 90 or a bit earlier, her mind began to wander. I just saw an 102 year old woman hit a hole in one playing golf. They interviewed her and she was completely lucid. So it cannot be age alone, although Mom's doctors call it 'senile dementia' or old age dementia.

My advice is to live your life doing what makes you feel happy and useful, and relax. Have fun with your family and friends, and do not waste any time worrying about the future!

Love,

Martha

Old 04-08-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
(female)

zonk HB User

my mum did everything right too,
after dad died in sept 2002,mum aged 64, I became very involved in her life. she took ginko bilboa, multi vitamins, ate lots of fish, did the daily crossword, did the weekly puzzles in the magazines, etc etc but to no avail...none of it made the slightest bit of difference...went on aricept in 2004
five years on she is in a NH home unable to shower,dress,read ,write,recognise loved ones etc etc
at the tender age of 70
just like the people that dont smoke etc get cancer
its a lottery, and I am a smoker
To quote you "what will be will be"
Hope you have a nice trip,
warm regards,
Jo

Old 04-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
(female)

zonk HB User

oops didnt mean to quote you