It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
(female)

cyt HB User
Finally - but way overdue

I ran into my cousin today at Church, who was in town visiting. He has been gone from here for 4 years. His mother (who lives alone and has no other kids) began having memory problems then. Of course it has worsened over the years. He still lets her live alone, still lets her drive, which really upsets me. Today, finally, he told me he has her name on an Assisted Living facility waiting list because she fell at home and hit her head and because she repeats questions several times in one conversation - well, duh! She's been doing that for the past couple of years! I've told him in the past what I thought and how bad I thought it was for her, but he just woulnd't listen, or didn't want to. I'm glad he's finally doing something to help her! My gosh, she's 82 and has dementia (probably AD) and yet there she is, still living alone and driving! And yes, she is still driving. I hope and pray he takes her car, I feel like he will after she is moved. I sure hope he goes through with it and gets her moved. I hate to turn him in for Elder neglect if he doesn't, but I don't want her driving around on the streets along with my kids out there! And everyone else, Oh, I get so steamed just thinking about how irresponsible that is! Thanks for listening and God bless you all. C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Finally - but way overdue

So glad he's finally beginning to come aroud. That certainly is one step in the right direction. I understand about being worried about driving and living alone. My biggest fear is that my dad will get in his car and get lost and wreck. He still has his car and keys but thinks his car is broken down. That's the reason he isn't driving it. My BIL put blocks under dad's car so it won't move. Dad hasn't driven it in 3 years.

Maybe that's something you can do for your aunt. Have someone take a wire out or something so that the car won't start.

Love, Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

cyt HB User

Barb - thanks. Her son tried that last year and she proceeded to call her maintenance/yard man to come and fix it! We could have croaked! The car looks like a tank and all you see is the top of her head as she drives down the road. She's had several fender benders! Oh, and she spray painted the car a few years ago, so you can imagine! Here's hoping she forgets where she put her keys!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyt View Post
Barb - thanks. Her son tried that last year and she proceeded to call her maintenance/yard man to come and fix it! We could have croaked! The car looks like a tank and all you see is the top of her head as she drives down the road. She's had several fender benders! Oh, and she spray painted the car a few years ago, so you can imagine! Here's hoping she forgets where she put her keys!
Try to do more than hope she loses her keys ...you could save her life and that of anyone she may hit. Maybe you can lose the car? Take it to a vacant lot somewhere and tell her it's in the repair shop? Most AD patients forget things that are not in plain sight.

Good luck!
Martha

Closed Thread