It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
A Little AD Humor....

Three sisters live in a house together. They're all well up there in age and none have ever been married.

The first sister yells out "Help me! Help me! I've got one foot in the bathtub and I can't remember whether I was going in or out!"

The second sister says "Hold on. I'll be right there." She starts climbing the stairs up to the bathroom.

The third sister is in the kitchen steeping a bag of tea in her cup. As she's steeping, she's hitting the table with her hand. Suddenly, the second sister yells out "Help me! I'm on the stairs and I can't remember whether I was going up or down!" The third sister says "I'll be there as soon as I answer the door."

My friend told this to me today and I thought I'd share it with you. I know that many of you are facing AD in or near the end stages with your loved ones. My dad is pretty close to that as well. It helps me cope with this a little better if I can find a little humor in it.

Love, Barb

Old 04-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User
Re: A Little AD Humor....

Barb....I'm glad you posted this. We often overlook the simple fact that for some of us, a little HUMOR is the crutch we need to tread on to the next day.

I mentioned "humor" in one of my posts and was worried about offending someone.....but, for me, there are many ways to look at this horrific disease...and humor seems to lighten the load.......Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

There was a thread a while back where people posted some humorous and heartwarming stories about their loved ones. I can't remember who started it or what it was called but I got quite a few laughs out of that.

I think we need a sticky where we can post these.

Love, Barb

Old 04-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Mom used to 'fool the doctor." For quite a few years she always managed to bluff her way through the mini mental test. Mainly the doc excused her errors because she was so old he didn't expect anything much. But the closest family members knew there was something wrong, not just old age.

Anyway one day my cousin called, and Mom was having an animated discussion with her, telling her lots of things that hadn't happen that day as if they had. She did mention her checkup and said, 'I showed that doctor today! He tried to trip me up on who is the president .. but I got it right ! I said Ronald Reagan!" (this was as recently as 3 years ago and it was of course George Bush.)

At that same examination in February she had told the doctor it was April, and it was Fall. That was the time he laughed it all off, saying to my brother, I hope I am as sharp as she is when I am 94 ....

Now I am not sure if this is funny or sad. ... seemed funny at the time ...

Love,

Martha

Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Here's another one with humor in it:

At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . . having friends.
At age 16 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is . . having money.
At age 50 success is . . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . . having friends.
At age 80 success is . . . not peeing in your pants.

I'm not sure how far along this spectrum I am but it's not 'having money!"

Love,

Martha

Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Martha...I remember taking mom to her Dr. visits with her "practicing" all the way too! She would count out in what she expected would be required...name her 6 children over and over; trying to get 'em in the proper order! Sometimes she would pretend to recognize houses we would drive by...or say something about the person in the car next to us to try to impress me with her memory. She was just so darned scared of what was happening to her.

So many strange actions surfaced! My brother was upset when mom wanted a little teapot from her home. What in the world did she need THAT for?!? When I saw her lovingly water the bedragled little African violet by her bed...I understood exactly her reasoning.

I learned not to question her actions...just by waiting and watching, sometimes her rationalization seemed apparent...other times it DID escape me!

One day, I carefully peeled a banana and laid it on the table in front of her. She carefully looked it over...snuck a side glance at me...then picked it up and gnawed back and forth on it like it was an ear of corn. She recognized the SHAPE...but couldn't remember exactly how to eat it!

Just an afterthought...none of us here are "making fun" of any actions...but, perhaps by sharing, this can be a little help to those with similiar situations.

Pam

Old 04-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sandyspen HB UserSandyspen HB User

Oh I agree. The humorous moments give us a smile and warm feeling at a very trying time. Usually when I come here I'm distressed and distraught and venting. But there are so many good moments, too, that slip out of memory too soon.

The entire time mom was in the hospital last week, she thought she was at a party. Trying to be kind and not rude, she kept dropping hints about my "big house and partying ways." :::: I couldn't have so many people at one party, if my house wasn't so big. She really liked everyone but was really tired. She didn't want to ask them to leave, but she was pooped:::

We could hardly keep her in the bed because she kept saying she needed to get up and cook for everyone. She would hold the nurses hands and says, "If you didn't live so far away, we could visit more often." She thought all these people had made a special trip to see her and she should "know" them. So she did, she pretended to know them all.

I couldn't help but notice that no matter how confused she was, or distraught, or scared; she was totally polite and never forgot her manners when she thought all the doctors, nurses, aids and sitters were my friends.

Closed Thread