It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User
Grandmother not doing well....

Hi,
My grandmother is 93 and suffers from dementia (lewy body we believe).
She is still eating well, but these last few days, she is very "low". She's sleeping more and hallucinating more than usual. Doctor tried to take her blood today, and she wouldnt let him. He said her color wasnt good. I'm worried that this is a sign of "the end days".....
Can anyone give me some input as to how dementia patients are just at the end?

So worried right now....
Carsam

Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Grandmother not doing well....

Dear Carsam,

My mother is in the same condition. A lot of hallucinating, very much sleeping or dozing, no interest in food, no interest in company, sad, but too sleepy to think about it much. Very much trouble swallowing. Even water has to be thickened to go down. Has lost around 20 pounds in the last 3 months. The prognosis is that she may live a few more weeks or even months. It has been a long hard road. She was ready to go over 2 years ago, but it was not meant to be.

Sorry your Grandma is also having this problem.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Martha,
Thank you so much for your response...I have been in touch with you before, not sure if you remember me, I know you post to so many people here.
I too feel for you...you obviously love your mother very much, and have been dealing with this along time. I guess we will never know the day will we?

I hope you yourself are keeping well these days!!!
love,
Caroline xo

Old 04-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

savv55 HB User

Dear Carsom:

I understand your concern about your grandmother. When a loved one is suffering any sort of terminal illness the worry is always there about when and how the end may come.

I have just lost my Dad due to a complication (infection) and had been told beforehand by the Doctor that this is how it often happens as I was worried he was progressing through the stages of AD so quickly. Medical doctors and staff never like to make any predictions as to when the end will come as every person experiences it differently. The staff in the hospital agreed with me one day that my Dad was likely hours away from passing, but he did not go for five more days. The nurses said that happens often - a person may just not be ready (emotionally or spiritually) when all the signs appear to be there.

Two years ago we lost my mother-in-law to a brain tumour. The same was true, no indication from medical staff of how long she may have. In her case it was about 5 days from the last time she ate. She became very agitated and the hospice started administering morphine, she never became conscious again after that. I had expected my Dad to react the same way but he remained conscious (on and off), though he could not communicate.

It is such an incredibly difficult and sad time for you. How nice for your grandmother that she has such a caring and loving granddaughter. I hope your grandmother will find peace soon.

Shirley

Old 04-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again,
Just wanted to give an update on my grandmothers condition. Her blood sample showed no sign of infection. She is still eating and drinking okay but has barely spoken in almost a week now. Her hallucinations are very bad and last night she did not sleep for one moment. Other family members are trying to help now (about time) - not sure what's going on. With this illness, you never know if the person is going to come out of it for another while or not....I just hate it.
Thanks Martha for your responses, and I just saw your other post....what your sister said, let it go in one ear and other the other - you know in your heart how much you love and have cared for your mom. Dont let anyone, especially her, tell you anything different!!
Savv5 - thanks also for your message. I also read your post and my goodness, you've had more than your fair share of heartache recently. I too had an uncle die from a brain tumor - horrible horrible way to go. Remember the old days when you were blessed enough to be old and just go peacefully in your sleep? No such luck anymore.....
I think you said now your mom was in a nursing home....I hope and pray things will go well, god bless her, she must really miss your dad.

You know some people say they are scared of "dying".....I am scared of "getting old" even more........I read these boards and although I see so much love and caring....I see so much pain and anguish. I hope to God I go before I ever get in these kind of states. I know thats awful to say but its just how I feel these days...

It's just too sad to think about sometimes....

This is a wonderful place to post, I post on a few of the different boards - there's no way anyone could not find support on this site, it is truly a blessing!!!

Carsam

Closed Thread