It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

marypar HB User
Rita Hayworth - actress

I saw a special on actress Rita Hayworth - actress very popular in the 1940s' and 50's. When she was only 42 she started losing her short term memory and couldn't remember inviting people to her house, she would also lose her temper for no reason. When she was older the press printed that she was drunk when she was seen coming off an airplane, but instead she was showing signs of advancing alzheimer's. At that time alzheimer's was not so prevalent and she wasn't diagnosed until she was in her sixties. Her daughter Yasmin took care of her up until the end. She died totally in advanced stage of alzheimer's at the age of 68. She had this disease for 26 years - I never heard of anyone with the disease for that long.

My mom is 86 and is in middle stage living with my two brothers, alternating months. So far she is doing fine - she is a happy, perky little thing who still is pretty functional, and likes to help around the house doing chores. My dad was taking care of her but he passed away in january at 91 years old. I basically was the one who visited weekly and did their chores for them while my brothers were more in the background. But I have to say they are pulling their weight and my sisters-in-law are both stay at home wives who enjoy taking care of her. I am very lucky right now. My mom visits her house that she shared with my dad but really doesn't remember him unless you go into detail about what happened and she gets sad by forgets fast and I think that's a good thing. She loves to clean and putter around the house and we take her out to eat and she enjoys it. Thanks for listening. I thought the story about Rita hayworth was very interesting - saw it this morning on turner classic movies.
maryann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Rita Hayworth - actress

Thank you for sharing this, Mary. I never knew that about Rita.

Sounds like you have a wonderful family who pulls together when the going gets tough. Glad to see that your brothers and sisters-in-law are such a great help and that you are not alone in caring for your mom.

Love,

Barb

Old 04-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Rita Hayworth - actress

I remember seeing her movies when I was just beginning to go to the movies, in the late 40s, early 50s. She was so beautiful and a gifted actress. Sad how her mind went, so young. And people who didn't understand thought she was drunk.

Now we have a good excuse for many young starlets of today (who may be REALLY drunk!!)

Love,

Martha

Closed Thread