It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

Missy2001 HB User
Alzheimers Stages

In reading the 7 stages of alzheimers, in general how quickly do these stages progress? With my husband's dad, we would see a decline, then level off for a while, until now he basically sleeps most of the time, regardless if he's lying down or sitting. Is this common for late stage dementia/alzheimers??

Old 04-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User
Re: Alzheimers Stages

Missy...what I've seen in this disease is that there is no absolute time line. For several years, I had only my mothers disease to observe...now both inlaws have been diagnosed also. Each seems different.

I pay attention to other "clients" at the Alzheimer's facility in Toledo where mom has lived for the past 9 years. Many others have come and "gone"...each individual being ravaged in somewhat the same manner, but in different time lines. When mom first went to live there, she could still walk down and get the paper. She watched TV, played her mandolin (really!), and could even hold a somewhat decent conversation! Her nouns seemed to be the first obvious indication...often forgetting the word or replacing it with a word that had absolutely nothing to do with the sentence! Some of my siblings had a more difficult time accepting these "mom-changes" and she did seem to realize their disdain...having even MORE trouble in conversations with them. I work with several special needs students, and knew I needed to "go to her world"...this DID work!! It was easier to simply pick one of the jumbled words she would say...repeat it back to her...and she believed I understood what she was trying to say. Understanding...or pretending to understand...seems to give them such comfort.

The excessive sleeping seems to be a main indicator for late stage. Hope this helps.......Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

My Mom now sleeps most of the time, day or night. She lost interest in eating a few months ago. She is losing weight. It is nearing the end for her. It has been a long hard road.

Petal Pusher, I wish I had known about 'entering her world" when Mom first got sick. I tried so hard to get her into the ''real' world. I was even short tempered with her at times. I finally understood that no amount of reasoning or argument could 'bring her back' ...

Love,

Martha

Old 05-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
(female)

Missy2001 HB User

Martha, How is your mom now? I don't visit this site often, but was reading through posts tonight.....I know your mom seems to be similar to my husband's dad in that he no longer talks and sleeps most of the time. That has not changed. Someone said that a move to another location such as a daughter's home or a nursing home makes their situation worse. Do you think that it's a permanent deterioration? Or simply makes the stages progress quicker. There are no easy answers....especially when the drs and nurses tell you they can't really evaluate when they don't talk.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

My Mom is pretty much the same as in late December. Eats little, sleeps a lot, is not very clear on who is who or where she is. But she is still cheerful, thankful, and pleasant to be with. It's hard for me to say whether it was transferring her to a NH or the hip fracture and operation that caused a sudden decline - those things all happened at once. No, it never got better, only worse .. slowly.

How is your dad doing now?

Martha

Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
(female)

Missy2001 HB User

He is doing really the same (just a slow decline). I wish I could say that he's sweet, pleasant, thankful (as you can with your mom (that in itself is something to be thankful for)...but I can say none of those because the disease has taken away his personality. He no longer has a personality, doesn't socialize at all with the others in the facility, he seemingly justs exists. It's difficult to know where someone is when they are unable to communicate. I've accepted that part, but it's still hard. It breaks your heart.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
(female)

Missy2001 HB User

He really is about the same (just a slow decline in his mental state). To be able to say your mom is still cheerful, thankful and pleasant is something to be thankful for. The disease has robbed him of a personality, he no longer smiles, laughs, or gives any kind of expressions (in fact, I can't remember the last time I saw and expression (just kind of blank). He doesn't (can't) socialize with any of the other people in the facility. It's very sad when we visit. I just think the days must be so long for him or any person in this state, as he's long past the day of doing any reading, activity or whatever. He is in his wheelchair a few hrs a day, but sleeps A Lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha H View Post
My Mom is pretty much the same as in late December. Eats little, sleeps a lot, is not very clear on who is who or where she is. But she is still cheerful, thankful, and pleasant to be with. It's hard for me to say whether it was transferring her to a NH or the hip fracture and operation that caused a sudden decline - those things all happened at once. No, it never got better, only worse .. slowly.

How is your dad doing now?

Martha

Closed Thread