It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
(male)

tonykarma HB User
Face Rubbing Habits

My grandfather is 86 years old and could possibly be suffering from Alzheimer's. He is most definitely suffering from dementia and I have noticed in the past few months that he has a habit of rubbing his face for long periods of time. Sometimes it's his nose, other times his chin or his cheek. He seems to not even notice that he's doing this. Does anyone have any recommendations of some type of tool that we could give him to take his mind off of rubbing his face and keeping him occupied?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Re: Face Rubbing Habits

The repetitive behaviour of face rubbing could be caused by medication or medication reactions ........... he could have pain .......... he could anything wrong facially .... and everything should be ruled out.

As for interventions ..what does he like to do with his hands? How far advanced is he? Could he sandpaper some wood? Paint? Use a spanner to screw/unscrew nuts from bolts?

I would get him checked out medically whilst putting in the above interventions.

Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Definitely check out any possible cause for pain or itching. Dad's rubbing was eventually diagnosed as an abcessed tooth.... TWICE! That was the only symptom he showed. Beyond that he picks and scratches at his face consistently. He has major sun damage to his skin and ever little rough place is scrated until it bleeds. Twice a day applications of vasoline helped that problem greatly. My dad does not pick at his face when his hands are busy. So give him something to occupy his hands once you have ruled out medical causes.

Love, Deb

Old 11-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
(male)

tonykarma HB User

Thanks Deb! That was more of what I'm looking for.. ideas to occpuy his hands. He is blind and not able to do woodwork and such as was suggested. I should have added that as well.

Thanks!

Closed Thread