HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alzheimers-disease-dementia/)
-   -   end stage dementia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alzheimers-disease-dementia/554793-end-stage-dementia.html)

zonk 11-21-2007 02:38 AM

end stage dementia

terminal stage dementia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

got a call from NH this evening

Mums urine output is decreasing and very dark
oral intake decreasing

Do I want to call the doctor or just keep her comfortable

BTW I hate the phrase "resting comfortably"

my dad, when terminal, was often "resting comfortably"

my instinctive reply "call the doctor"

then DH and I went into the palliative care discussion..does it include calling the doctor?

I rang my old time nursing friend who told me to find out what pain relief measures were in use...I was pretty sure I knew that already.

end result, I rang the NH back and confirmed they are using paracetomal (sp) and opiate? patches

nurse confirmed that pain relief didnt seem to be adequate, so my instructions were to ask doctor to increase pain relief to morphine and no hospitalisation.

can anybody speculate on how long my mums piece of string is?
kind regards,
Jo
ps
where is the "crying smiley"?

spoiler 11-22-2007 11:17 AM

Re: end stage dementia

Hello Jo,
Nothing I can say will make life any easier for you, but all strings are not the same length. My wife Joan reached the stage were she had trouble being able to distinguish between opening her mouth for food & putting a cup to her lips to drink. From that point her decline was quite rapid, she lost weight as she lost the ability to eat & drink .

From your post I think this might be about the point you are at the present time, dark strong urine. Although Joan wet the pad at night, She would go all day with out passing water. From about this time Joans abilities started to fail her at a faster rate and it was obvious that the end of Joans suffering was near

As a family My two sons and I had already decided to let nature follow it's own course, so sad to say Joan passed away in October, age 62.

So Joans piece of string was quite short, about six weeks.

Jon

Still no crying smilie

zonk 11-23-2007 03:17 AM

thank you for replying Jon.
I am so sorry for you and your family...Joan was SO young.
Every scrap of information and experience helps me cause I am in that intolerable stage of "waiting, waiting"
I have financial decisions to make, and family to inform
its seems from varying replys I have had that mum probably has weeks, rather than days or months.
kind regards,
Jo

Martha H 11-23-2007 08:21 AM

Dear Jo,

I pray that you will find the strength you need to get through this terrible time.

Love,

Martha

zonk 11-24-2007 02:05 AM

hi martha,
thanks for your post....I do have the strength (sally has been helping me)
considering yr mum, maybe I am being a drama queen re how long...none of us ever know for sure
my mum has a cathetar, is barely speaking and now on morphine, and bed ridden
not sure how her swallowing reflex is (it was checked in hospital by speech person)
but no reports from the NH re: aspiration
does yr mum have the dark urine output?
I know yr mum is end stage and she has held on admirably for months
kind regards,
Jo