It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

Music No Lyrics HB User
Grandmother has Alzheimer's

My great grandmother has Alzheimers, and her mother had it. I was just wondering if it was genetic and if I would also get it.

Edit: I'm 14, my Mother doesn't have it. [Not now anyways]

Last edited by Music No Lyrics; 01-01-2008 at 09:55 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Music No Lyrics:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Music No Lyrics For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 01-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Grandmother has Alzheimer's

The answer to your question is it tends to be genetic but hard to say if you will absolutely get it. You didn't mention whether or not your mother had it?

The following user gives a hug of support to AnnD:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to AnnD For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

There is a genetic component.

BUT, there is so much research going on, they are on the brink of a treatment and even CURE for this dreaded disease. Your mother may never get it, and if she does, she might be around when the new cure comes out. You yourself, at your age, are almost 100% certain to have a cure or even a vaccine out whenever you get that far along.

My advice is to stop worrying. Neither you nor your mother will probably ever get it.

Love,

Martha

The following user gives a hug of support to Martha H:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Martha H For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 01-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Hi MNL. There is just so much we're still learning about Alzheimer's. I'm so glad your Mom has you to be helpful with your Great Grandmother...and concerned about her.

When my Mom was first diagnosed...(9 years ago)...I tried to read everything I could find about this disease. It is one of several different types of dementia...but seems to be the one we hear the most about. I was told there are more than 60 different kinds of dementia!

One of the first things I found out is that there is "familial" Alzheimer's...that means it is genetic in some cases. Several articles suggested that if a parent has it, it is more likely to show up in larger families...and the older siblings are more prone than the younger ones. I would think this suggests that as more children are born into the family, there are parts of the brain of the oldest kids that are not stimulated as much???

There is also proof that a very hard bump to the head can bring on this disease as a person ages. (Of course THIS was my biggest worry when I fell forward on the icy cement sidewalk a few years ago! Two big black eyes...broken nose...broken teeth...broken arm...ARGH!!) ....(Have to admit, I had a pretty good time telling people it was a skateboarding accident!)

When my own 5 siblings and I were first aware of the changes in our Mother, we all started noticing our OWN challenges...so much that some of us asked our doctors about it. Lots of "stuff" going on in our lives brought on extra stress...and we were told we WERE acting "normal"! (Yep, you're right...there are six of us...and I'm up near the top...another thing to worry about!)

I've found worrying about something I don't know for SURE just makes life worse! So much effort is going into Alzheimer's research! We have to just look for miracles around the corner. Bless you for being concerned...and stay around here a while...you'll find some great answers and ideas that will help both you and your Mom with your Great Grandma's care. Hope I helped a little.......Pam

Old 01-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

My grandmother had ALZ as did two of her sisters. My mother has ALZ as did one of her sisters. My Dad has vascular dementia. I am next in line and the oldest. But I have also decided that I will not worry. By the time I get to that time in my life, if I get there, there very well may be a prevention or a cure. So I will live each day to the fullest without that worry. Sure my chances may a little better than some other's but Mom had breast cancer, Dad had 3 heart attacks and 5 bypasses, and on and on. I just hope to live as rich and full a live as my parents have. To do that I cannot waste my time worrying about what might be......

Love, Deb

Old 01-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
(female)

Dingoes HB User

My grandmother is 92 and was recently diagnosed with ALZ. Neither of her brothers showed any signs of the disease. One died at the age of 90 and the other is currently 96. I think part of it is genetic and part is luck and part is level of education/profession. But what do I know for sure, I'm still new to this.

-- Tracie

Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I think genetics, life style, and luck are involved but not level of education or profession. Ronald Ragen, Aaron Coplan, Charles Bronson, Barry Goldwater, Joyce Chen, Charlton Heston, Rita Hayworth, and Harold Wilson all had Alzheimer. My mother is well educated and was an Accountant/Financial Wizard. Intellegence may help hide the early symptoms a little longer but doesn't stop you from having Alzheimer. Brain activities my delay the effects but not sure that stops the progress either. At one time it was thought that alumiumum from deodorant and aluminum pots was to blame. I can't wait for them to unlock the final keys and cure or prevent this horrible disease so we can all stop guessing why it is.....

Love, Deb

Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
(female)

Dingoes HB User

I stand corrected, Deb...maybe I just assumed this with my grandmother because one of her brothers was a doctor and the other a musician, and while she was very intelligent I never really saw her use it. I shouldn't assume.

Closed Thread