It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Alzheimer Support Groups...

The Dir. of Nursing at the NH where my mom resides suggested I go to the support group meeting that is held there once a month. She is a childhood friend and feels that I could benefit to speak with others who are going through the same thing.

My question is, have any of you done this; and have you felt it does ease your mind to be with others in the same boat?

The meeting is this Monday night, and my brother and his wife will be attending with me. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 03-15-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

gemini1961 HB User
Re: Alzheimer Support Groups...

In my humble opinion, I think it's worth testing the waters *so to speak*.

I actually started a support group at a NH however it wasn't very successful because *nobody showed*. As much as they requested help (education, strategies etc) their loved one was already in care and they didn't actually NEED much more help.

So ...... give it a whirl, be actively involved .. it can't hurt!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I do not have quick access to a support meeting. Wish I did. But if they can do anything close to what this support group does it is definitely worth it.

Love, deb

Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User

When DH was first diagnosed, we tried a support group at our regional AD Assn. Unfortunately, the usual group coordinator wasn't there our first session. The substitute totally took over the group and did all the talking. The other families complained that it was a bad session as we were leaving. The second time, everyone went around the table talking about their loved one's status. I was at the end of the table, and realized that most of the patients were elderly. Their issues revolved around coordination of Medicare benefits, medications and giving up homes. We didn't seem to have much in common with them at the time, and since I had to pay for parking it didn't seem worth doing.

I recently decided to try again. The original central group has apparently been replaced by local groups at NHs (I guess people complained about having to pay for parking in the city, or the group got too big). I was told that DH was too advanced for a new early onset group. I got the phone number for a group in my area, but they didn't call me back for this month's meeting. They meet in the evening and it will be necessary to make alternative caregiving arrangements. Some groups have arrangements for either a patient group or patient caregiving, which I think is a real plus.

I believe that a support group might be useful just like this Board is useful. The success of the group will depend on the people who are in it. I'm going to try again next month.

Closed Thread