It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

Librarygal59 HB User
Aricept/Namenda

Well, my 82 year old Mom who was getting worse (slowly) with memory was also having a horrible time with running sores all over her body. This went on for several months and coincided with her new med: Namenda. If you read or remember my post, I was frustrated with doctors not having a clue what to do about this. Well, I got online and found an immunologist who, basically said that this is an allergy (for sure!) and put her on a regimen of prednisone and a routine to topically treat the systemic skin mess. But along with that, he encouraged us to either pull back on the aricept, discontinue the namenda (if the GP agreed). This is the surprising result : Keeping her other meds the same but stopping Namenda and cutting the Aricept to half (every other day...and yeah, I know my dad shouldn't do that w/o a doctor's OK, but they're hard to get to see!).....mom is BACK!! I mean her memory is much, much better for the short term stuff that was LOST (or seemed so) before. It's early to draw conclusions, I know, since it has only been a week since she started the prednisone and halved the Aricept. (Doctor highly suspected Aricept, and or Namenda on her skin condition). This result was totally unexpected and I think we will just find a neurologist we like (as the immuno-guy suggested we do)--to monitor the Aricept (if we even continue with it). Have any of you heard of anything like this? I am very suspicious of those two meds now, just from our (unusual, probably) experience! ~ Librarygal59

The following user gives a hug of support to Librarygal59:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Librarygal59 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Aricept/Namenda

I'm glad the skin condition cleared up, and it is GREAT to have improvement in memory. Amazing. I almost think the whole thing may have been caused not by Alzheimer's or another dementia but by some systemic disease that is responding to the steroid. I never heard of anyone getting their memory back on either of the drugs above, or by stopping them ...

I hope you get to the bottom of all this.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 06-03-2008 at 03:33 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Martha H:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Martha H For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I'm with you Martha. It sounds like some underlying condition, other than dementia, is responding to the steroid treatment. There are many conditions that mimick dementia and many conditions that can be treated with steroids. Both seem to be a catch all... as is dementia. For whatever reason I am glad your Mom's skin condition and cognitive abilities are better Library. I hope it stays that way.

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

Librarygal59 HB User

DGabriel and Martha:

Thanks for your input. I have to remember that I've posted and need to check this message board. (Maybe it's ME we need to be getting the neurologist for, huh? LOL!).....But thanks for that. I am so very, very lucky. Both parents really not CLOSE to needing round the clock care and they're 82/83 yrs. old. I realize that can happen OVERNIGHT almost, though. This board will be a huge help to me THEN!! Thanks, you 2~ Librarygal59

The following user gives a hug of support to Librarygal59:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Librarygal59 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread