It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Wonderful day with Mom

Hello to all,
Just a short note to say how much I enjoyed the day with Mom. She was forgetful, impatient, angry that she can't have alot of cash in her apartment but she was great today. I actually had fun with her trying on clothes. We had lunch.
She has been so sick I wasn't sure what the day would bring. She can still fool me.............I love it. She is happy at her AL facility. Great people there. We are so lucky to have had her move in when she did. Its been 15 months now. There is no way she could still be alone.
I'm here so much leaning on you great people I thought a good report from me would be refreshing.............LOL
Love Chris

Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
(female)

Janie5301 HB User
Re: Wonderful day with Mom

Chris,
So nice to hear good news. It seems that almost everyone here lately has had good visit with loved ones. I remember toward the end with my DH we would be having a good day and then something would come out of his mouth that would just make me laugh so hard and it also reminded me he was still in there and could fool me as well. Such great memories...I cherish them all.

Love Janie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am so happy for you Drew. Thost wonderful moments can wrap you in a smile. It's phantastic that she likes where she is, has rallied from her illness, and was able to spend a day of fun with you. Hold on to that memory and cherish it. Yes, they do have the ability to surprise.... good or bad. So grab this good surprise and keep smiling. Hopefully there will be many more

Love, deb

Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well today is another day on Planet Alzheimers. Mom lost her walker. Her new one with wheels and a seat. Well not exactly new, got it 7 months ago. She had it when I left last night. She wanted to know how she was going to go down to eat. "Do I have a walker"? "Yes Mom. What did you do with your walker"? "What does it look like"?
This went on forever. After talking to everyone there.....still no walker. Its about 25 minutes away. Guess its up to me to find Moms walker. We found it in Lucilles' apartment. She has no idea how it got there. Mom was with her when I left last night. Your guess is as good as mine..........Mom said thanks to Lucille for finding her walker and we left. How did Mom get from Lucilles to her apartment on another floor?????
Now Mom was in a tizzy about this walker. It was easier to just go see about things. When I got there she was completely surprised to see me. "What are you doing here"? "I'm here to find your walker"! "Is it gone"? "What walker"? Oh no I'm not having this conversation again. I had to laugh. It was like "Whos on first, whats on second and I don't knows on third"..........Some of you may be too young for that one.
Love, Chris

Old 06-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Smile Re: Wonderful day with Mom

Thanks for a good laugh. I remember ''Who's on first" very well. Yes, my conversations with Mom often sounded like Abbott and Costello ....
or was it Laurel and Hardy???

Still laughing,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 06-18-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Thank you Chris for the good laugh. Hope you took your towel to planet Alzheimer with you. Seems you needed it. I was told there's a map on the back somewhere but haven't had time to find it yet. Don't you just love those conversation. Somewhere in the middle you decided you are the one that has lost it and by the end you KNOW you are gone. One reason I have learned not to jump when Mom whines is just what you described. The whine will shift, morph, and change into something entirely different before you can start to act. Sometimes it's difficult to keep your focus in the middle of the chaos but if you can find the humor it somehow makes it better.

You were right on the first quess Martha. It was Abbot and Costello. I remember it well also Drew's version is who's got the walker!

Love, Deb

Old 06-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, the routine is still going on today. You know the one don't you? Whos on first, Whats on second I don't knows on third. For some reason Mom cannot remember she has a walker..........after all of this time. I know, I know why but this is driving me crazy. I had her hair done today at AL after noon meal. She called and was upset that she could not breathe very well and her legs hurt. "Where is your walker Mom"? "What walker? Do I have a walker?" "Somebody has it because I don't. What does it look like"? I called the Dr. and I'm having her checked for a UTI she is not sure where she is right now. This decline has been just too rapid. She was OK Tuesday. I mean as OK as Mom can be right now. I can hear it in her voice. She is frightened. I'll just bet its another UTI. They make her so much worse so fast.
Anyway just thought I'd let you know about the "walker" saga......it continues. They are looking for it now.
Thanks for listening. I know its not a big thing, a lost walker, but something is going on here. When I get this feeling it usually means ER. Lord, I hope not.
Chris
See ladies, here I go again. Being negative. Think positive. Right???? OK,working on that one. I need to work on so much now. Mom used to say,"I'm running so far behind, soon I'll think I'm first".

Old 06-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yep, have your Mom tested for a UTI and let's hope that is the problem. I know you are tired of chasing down the walker but what is really nagging at you is a reason why Mom has changed so rapidly. Since you caught it early, she can be tested and if it is a UTI then they should be able to prescribe an antibiotic without a trip to the ER. How's that for positive

We are one step ahead of you. Dad's antibiotics for his UTI is now causing diarreah. Even Mom laughed when telling me about Dad making a mess. According to her she took off his cloths downstairs at the bathroom near the dinning room and then brought him upstairs to take a shower. I don't think that's the way it happened but that is her story and she's sticking to it!

Drew, as long as you are in front it's ok. Doesn't matter if you are a lap down or not. The next time everybody else makes a pit stop you will catch up . We do what we can and be happy with what we do. You are doing good!

Love, Deb

Old 06-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Deb. I needed that little peice of encouragement. Its always something, everyday. You have to watch them like a hawk. Don't you? I'm always a little afraid I'll miss somehting and she'll get really sick. Moms Dr. did give me and my sister a very nice compliment. He said "You do know, don't you, if you didn't watch her and take care of her like you do......she wouldn't be here. She is not a well woman. You do very good with Mom". That was sure nice to hear. Anyway the walker has returned to Moms...Yet again. Yeah!!!! Tomorrow is another day.
Love, Chris

Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Believe the doctor and believe in yourself. You are doing good. Yes, there is something every day and you learn to be observant. We tune in to every change and quirk. It is amazing how quickly you can pick up on a problem even over the phone.... just by the tone of the hello you receive. We just have to put it in perspective. The walker is an annoyance (you need to buy a leash for that walker) but she is able to use it. Dad made a mess in the dinning room rest room but at least he's still walking to meals. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully the walker will not walk off again

Love, deb

Old 06-20-2008, 05:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm #2 daughter and my younger sister is #3 daughter. We have decided to take a couple of days and go to the lake house. We will be leaving #1 daughter in charge of Mom. Something she does not like I might add. #3 sister really needs some time off. We all have kids and grandkids that drain us also. Of course we don't mind that so much. They are our babies. Once in while everybody needs us all at once. Then we say "time out. We're out of here. Need a break". As soon as I find out about that UTI I'm leaving with my Sis. She has had a tough week.
So wish me luck in getting away. Should know soon if we can go. If not, there is always next weekend.
Love Chris

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope all goes well and you are able to get away with your younger sister for the weekend. I am sure it will do you both good. Older sister can handle the weekend and then maybe one of you can go somewhere with her later. If you work it right then all of you can end up with two weekends out by taking turns. Area all of your sister's local to you? With my three sisters two are close to Mom and two are not but the two that are not take a weekend or more a month. Let us know what the Urinalysis tells you...

Love, deb

Don't forget to take you towel to wrap up your worries while you were there and leave the walker leashed so it won't walk off again

Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deb,
Sister#1 could go if she wanted. We tried to talk her into going." Not this time" she said. Our place is only an hour away. We know all about Moms meds, her illnesses, the ins and outs of the ER. Just alot of things she chooses to let us handle. She is just minutes away from Mom. Sister #3 is also very close. I'm about 25 minutes away. Mom lived here for 12 years in one of our apartments until the AL facility. So she was with me for years before the move. Older Sis depends on us in a way. She says "your younger you handle things". She took care of us when we were younger. Mom had some breakdowns and Sis took over at times. Then when she married, that job became mine. Mom has always been fragile. Great Mom, just fragile. She sure went without to give to us. You know the story about the Mom that never seemed hungry, she ate a big lunch, she would say. Now we know it was so we would have more to eat.
I told Sis,"We will not worry......we will not talk about the future with Mom". We've made a promise and we're sticking to it.............I hope. LOL
I know....the dreaded walker....good grief. The urinalysis is being looked at now. We should have an answer soon. We're almost out the door......don't blink something will stop us!!!! LOL
Love, Chris

Old 06-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Then you have to respect sister 1's choices and go have a good time with sister 3. It sounds like sister 1 is burned out. Being the oldest I do feel a sense of responsibility to see that everything gets done. I'm sure it drives my younger sisters nuts at time. I do hope with TLC you can draw sister 1 back into the family fun with her sisters and then back to helping. You have definitely done your share with Mom and I know you will continue. I say run out the door NOW!! Take your towel to gag any unwanted talk and just concentrate of having a wonderful weekend. Have confidence that the walker won't walk far away while you are going.

Enjoy your weekend......

Love, deb

Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

My sister and I had a great weekend at the lake. Old friends and new friends to take long pontoon rides. We rode the sea-doo all over the lake in past years.... Not now. Too much wear and tear on the old back. LOL
Mom had a good weekend with Sister #1. They went to lunch and shopping. We found out that Mom does have a UTI. Not a real bad one but enough to really mess with her brain. She called last night and wanted to know when she is getting her "own" apartment. She doesn't like this one anymore???? I think I've figured out why? We removed all of her throw rugs. She took two falls because of those things. She knew about it, told us to get rid of them, now that memory is gone. She likes angel food cake with peaches on top. I got that for her before I left. She does not open the fridge so she forgot that she already had them. She said last night she wants to go home.......didn't see that one coming. Hopefully when this UTI is gone she will be better.
Chris

Closed Thread