It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User
Well, I am taking your advice...

Hello dear friends,

Well, I leave tomorrow for my little vacation with my family. Dad is "missing me already", and he understands that Kathy is coming in to help, but he doesn't like the idea. I told him that I need to relax and this is the only way I can relax is to know that someone is looking after him. He seems to accept it. Or not. Depends on when you ask.

And wouldn't you know it, 3 days ago, I got sick sick sick. Went to the doc yesterday and I have bronchitis, sinus infection and I am one miserable girl. Coughing, sneezing, nose pouring, miserable all the way around. Hopefully, the vacation will set me right.

Those of you that pray, please pray with me that all goes well here with daddy. He will be in my every thought and prayer.

Thank you for the encouragement, my friends. I will talk to you all when I get home!

My prayers, as always, are with you all and your loved ones...

...deb

Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Well, I am taking your advice...

Sending prayers that everything goes okay for your dad while you're gone, and that you get over your illness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

You have been missed the last few days deb. Sorry you have been sick and hopefully you will be feeling better by the time you get to Vegas. Your Dad will be fine. Kathy will be there and all will be well when you return.... it will be even better because you will have a little fun and relaxation behind you. Enjoy your daughter, your son, and especially your husband. Call your Dad occassionally and keep him in the back of your mind but let yourself be fore for a few days. Have a blast and know we are all with you in spirit encouraging you to enjoy your time.

Have fun......

Love, deb

PS..... the prayers are always there

Old 06-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User

Well, thank you, y'all. Thanks to some heavy prayer and a little rest, it looks like I am a little better now, so can fly without worrying about my ears exploding off my head. Getting sick was a real bad idea. I have not been this ill for 3 years. Just miserable.

Part of the "getting ready" for this little vacation was not just the packing and cleaning and laundry - there was so much to do for the caregiver. Light instructions (meal times, etc), copies of med cards and POA, discussions, exchanges of all of HER phone numbers and all of OUR phone numbers (cell phones rule - but I have one, my DH has one, my son has one, my daughter has one...), and then the keeping of the routine with daddy. He looks so sad. He knows I am going away, but hopefully it will occur to him that I am coming back really soon. Kathy is going to keep a "Deb returns" count down on the day/date whiteboard so he can be hopeful. I will call him twice a day, and just remind him of how much I love him.

I think I have covered all the bases. If I missed some, I will bet all will be ok.

And deb, this is the first time I can remember anyone saying, "You have been missed the last few days..." Made my little heart just swell. Thanks.

I have to go find a few hand towels now. I know I put them somewhere.....

...deb

Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

It is amazing how our bodies tell us when it's time to slow down.... and then makes sure we do. Take your antihistimine/decongestant before you get on the plane and you should be fine.

And stop worrying. You need to remember what your Dad won't remember. As soon as you are back the fact that you were gone will leave his head. You will be left with great memories and a much needed respit. It is going to be a great vacation.

Love, deb

Old 06-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Deb...good for you taking that first hard step...most of us know how difficult that first little vacation is to take! It's hard to remember that in order to help our loved one...WE have to stay healthy...and time away now and then helps.

Early on in my own Mom's Alzheimer's, I cut down on my 2 yearly visits to my far-away daughter. When I bravely decided to go ahead...I even paid extra for the insurance that would allow me to come home quickly if needed. That was 10 years ago! I know now that life does continue. I was proud of myself last summer for taking a week all by myself in Michigan's Upper Peninsula...just needed some time alone.

This disease takes so much out of all of us...not only the helpless victim. I had a few months of shingles...brought on by lots of stress...and just this week seem to be fighting that same "bug" you are! (lots of people around here seem to have this stuff....ARGH!)

Have some much-needed time just for you and your family!..........p

Closed Thread