It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User
Need some advice re: My Grandmother

My grandmother is 83 years old and we have been told by her doctor she shows signs of Alzheimers. She does seem to forget lots of things that she never used to forget. There is no dementia at this point but she will lose money, lose her glasses, forget things that happened in the past, forget to take a shower, etc.

Also she sleeps a lot. She goes to bed at 8 pm and sleeps until at least 10 am when someone has to get her up, and she sleeps during the day also. She is not on any medications that would cause this and this is not like how she used to be.

Is this a side effect of Alzheimers? I told my mom I would try to find out, mom is living with her right now and reports to me how she is doing.

It's amazing the difference between her and my grandad, he has heart disease and prostate cancer yet gets up very early and works out at the YMCA. I am worried about my Gabby (my pet name for her) and hope to find out more about this.

Thank You,
Angela

Last edited by AngieBaby77; 06-21-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Need some advice re: My Grandmother

Every case is different, so it does help to find a competent doctor who can take some tests.

Sleeping a lot is not a symptom of Dementia. Often the person is agitated and sleepless, wandering around the house or outside at night, looking for something or someone.

Dementia symptoms can be found at the top of the Board, labelled "The Seven Stages of Alzheimers."

There are drugs which might slow down the progrss of this disease, so if she has it, or any ther serious disease, she relly needs to be in the care of a good neurologist or geriatric physician. Good luck!

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Need some advice re: My Grandmother

Dementia is impaired cognitive function. It may manifest itself in losing things, repeating herself, forgetting what has happened or who people are. There are also many other reason for the symptoms you described. Your Gabby needs a full medication work up to find the reason for her excessive sleeping. Is she depressed? Some depressed people sleep. I would also suggest an examination by a neurologist to examine her neurological processes and/or psychologist that can do cognitive testing.

I agree with Martha. Sleeping is not usually a symptom of ALZ. My Dad has dementia (Vascular) and does sleep alot but it is related to his vascular problem as is his dementia. Sleeping could be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency or a medical condition that is treatable. So as Martha suggested, be sure her doctor is fully aware of her symptoms and be sure he is very thorough in his examination.

Welcome to the board. I hope Gabby's problems are not caused by ALZ. Glad you are researching what it could be. Keep looking for answers and keep typing. There are great individuals here that have been where you are and have been so beneficial to me in my journey thought this disease.

I will keep you, your Mom, and your Gabby in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, deb

Closed Thread