It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User
I am back!

Hello friends!

Well, the Las Vegas vacation has come to an end, and we are home now. The last load of laundry is drying (where oh where does it all come from?), supper dishes are done, DH and son are both passed out cold from exhaustion, and I cannot call it a night till I update you all on our vacation/daddy's reaction.

As you probably remember, I hired a neighbor (that daddy likes - rare) to take care of him. She seemed competent, likes daddy and he likes her. So, with hugs and kisses, copies of all important papers to Kathy and a million prayers, we were off.

We left at noon on Saturday, and I did not call him till Sunday. He answered the phone after 10 rings (takes a while to get out'a the chair and figure out what's making that noise), and was able to tell me that he was ok and it was hot here. He asked where I was. I told him I was on vacation and would be home soon. 'Nuff said, I guess, cuz he seemed ok with that.

We got home today, and you guys, it was the cutest thing - he was standing at the end of his driveway, Kathy by his side, just standing there leaning on his cane. When we rounded the corner, he waved. DH stopped the car, let me out, and I ran up to him and threw my arms around him, and said, "Daddy, I am SO GLAD to see you!" And he laughed. Out loud. It was magic.

ibake, I think it was you that said I would see a difference in him when I got home. You were right. He looks older. Thinner. His lips are real purple. He seems like a little fragile flower. And he can't really converse, but he can listen. Sorta. He was just flat glad to see me.

Kathy, standing right there with daddy, gave me the "net-net" - the bottom line, so to speak. He ate everything she gave him. He came outside when she asked him to. He asked 4 times a day when I was coming home. He was....ready for this?....FINE. Just FINE.

And here's the really cute thing, y'all. In daddy's kitchen, I have put up a white board. I use it for orientation - every morning, I change it so it says the day/date/weather...any thing I want to remind him of...and when I walked into daddy's house today, it said,

"Wednesday. June 25, 2008. Cloudy (with a handdrawn picture of a dark cloud). Deb comes home TODAY!!!! 93 degrees."

Kathy is an angel. Daddy is old and infirm, demented and failing. He poops on himself, and pees on the floor sometimes. But that man knows who he likes, who he loves, and Kathy respected that, and kept it rolling.

Our vacation was great. And it is so much better now - cuz there's no place like home.

Thanks for all the prayers, the thoughts and good wishes. The suitcase of handtowels I took with me all got used, and they are laundered and ready to go again.

I will talk with you all tomorrow....and thanks again. I really felt your prayers. I really did.

...deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: I am back!

Can I say I told you so I am so pleased for you that the trip was a success and your dad was "just fine!" What a blessing Kathy is for you. Now you have to promise me one thing..... that you WILL do it again! The first rule of caregivers should be.... take care of yourself first so you will be able to care for those that need you. Glad you are back. You were definitely missed.

Love, deb

Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Good Job! I'm glad you went, had fun, and your Dad was fine. What a blessing!

Love,

Martha

Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

So glad it all worked out for you. It is good to be home. Isn't it? I can see the picture of your Dad waiting for you. Now that was a sweet one. Kathy must be one heck of a good friend and a kind person. Your lucky there.
You were missed.
Chris

Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

the picture you painted with words of our dad standing at the end of the driveway gave me goose bumps.... what a wonderfull way to end a vacation or to start the job of looking after someone we love.this is why we do the things we do for our loved one, for that one special moment in time that will be remember always... I am so happy that you got some time away and that it turned out great.....

Old 06-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
(female)

Janie5301 HB User

Welcome home Deb! There just aren't words to express how happy I am that everything went SO well for you while you were on vacation. God bless Kathy and God bless your Dad. How sweet was he to stand at the end of your driveway! Now you know you can leave him and take some precious time that you need when you need to. I hope you are rested and relaxed and had a wonderful time. I have good memories of Las Vegas as my oldest son was married there at the Bellagio chapel. My sweet DH was still well enough to realize what a happy occasion it was and we also had a great time. Enjoy the afterglow and your memories of a blessed time with your family.

Love and prayers,
Janie

Old 06-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User

Thank you, y'all! *deb blushes* Nice to know I was missed!

True to everything you all said, he does not seem to remember that I was ever gone. I overslept this morning (man, was I exhausted!) and was half hour late getting his breakfast. He waited for me to do it, though. Ha.

Interesting side note - after talking with Kathy at length, it seems that in my absence, dad was doing stuff I did not know he could do. He decided that he wanted to send his cable wires into an adjoining bedroom, and by himself, fed it through a hole in the closet wall and wired cable into the room. I had no idea he could do that. Kathy said that she thinks maybe he is stubborn, and wants me to do everything for him even though he can do a lot of it himself. Hmmmmm. Interesting thought. Any insight, anyone?

But he was sweet and happy today, and we enjoyed each other immensely. I am ever-so-relaxed and rested, recovering from my incredible upper respiratory infection (doc says it takes six weeks to recover completely!) and it was a good vacation.

But like I said last night - so nice to be home. So nice to talk to y'all again. So nice to catch up on all the posts. So nice to be back among friends...

...deb

Old 06-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

DEB>>>>

I'm just back from New Orleans and a visit with #1 son. But had to tell you how glad I am that you are back. I missed you and am glad that you went and did well.

Perhaps your daddy isn't as bad as you think he is...like many men of his generation, he expects to have meals and clothes and clean houses. They were waited on by the women..my own father was one of them and it would drive me up the wall that daddy couldn't life a finger to pour a glass of pop, but could build a desk for our #2 son with his eyes closed when the boy asked for it..... He enjoys being waited on..it's his perogative as a man of the house... Don't bother to think too much it only makes your brain hurt...

glad your are back. keep your towels clean dear. you'll need them soon enough!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Glad you are back also Ibake. I hope you had a phantastic trip and didn't run out of towels while you were away. I am still at my daughter's and should be home sometime tomorrow evening. It has been a good trip but I am ready to be at home.

I agree with Ibake about the men of that generation needing to be waited on. My Dad was the same way for the most part. If Mom refused to cook he was doing good if he could find he cereal, milk, a bowl, and a spoon.

I'm off to find some sleep .....

love, deb

Closed Thread