It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Question new problem

I noticed a new "thing" with Mom yesterday. Actually it started last week. She is picking at her fingernails. She is slowly "picking"a at them until they are getting sore. They use to be a bit longer but I have been clipping them because of hygiene problems. If you get my drift?
I ask her about this and she said she doesn't realise she is doing this until it starts to hurt. Two of them were bleeding.
We took her "fake" nails off awhile ago. Couldn't keep them clean enough. Maybe we should put them back on????
Chris

Old 07-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: new problem

Mom doesn't pick but my Dad does. He spent his life in the sun and his skin shows it. He picks at every little rough place on his skin until it bleeds. He has done this for years and we have found NOTHING that makes it better. We try to keep medicated lotion or vasoline on the offending spot but we can't keep ahead of him. He finds a new spot to pick. Even if you stop him in mid scratch he swears he is not doing it and wonders why he is bleeding. I truly do not know the answer....

I think getting rid of the fake nails and keeping her nails cut is a good idea. You don't want her catching something from her own fingernails. If it is the cuticle she is picking, you may want to get her a good manicure to keep the rough edges around the nails taken care of. Perhaps you can vasoline her hands and put gloves on while you are there to soften it so she will not find those hard places to pick at. It can be a pamper moment with a purpose. If it is the nail itself then be sure they are filed really smooth. Otherwise I am not sure what you can do..... except hope this behavior doesn't last too long.

Good luck with this one.....

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

What if her nails she is using to pick were too short to scratch with? I did this with one of my babies decades ago - he will be 40 this year (gasp) but as an infant he was always scratching his face. Keep the nails so short he cannot scratch, said the doctor. I was a first time mother and unable to come up with this myself ...

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 07-12-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks ladies. She picks at the nails. Hard to explain. They are so short now. There really isn't anything there to pick. So she is starting to pick at the top of the nail itself. Making it thin.
Talked to Sis and she said putting the fake ones back on was not an option. They were always gross. YUCK!!!!! I forgot how dirty they would get. Go figure.......I forgot!!!! Can't keep up with all of Moms little "things".
I can try the gloves at night with lotion. Her aide can do that for her. This is a small thing to some but Mom sure loved her nails being done. She looked forward to her hands being pretty. She worked in a factory until she retired and her hands were always cut up and rough.
Oh well, can't change it. Wish I could.
"Think I'll eat worms and die". Something Mom would say when we would "whine" as kids.
Love Chris

Old 07-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

.....Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I will eat some worms and die. Big fat slimy worms, icky icky wiggley worms. Ucky ucky yucky yucky worms. And when I'm gone, you just wait and see, you are going to be sorry that you picked on me!!!!..... Yes!!! I have heard that all my life as well. Wonder what response I would get back if I returned the favor and said that to Mom during one of her whine episodes?

I did find a possible cause of Mom's good mood. She received mail from my daughter with new paper clipping and a note. Hope the stopped up toilet doesn't turn the mood around. I know..... hope for the best

Love, deb

Taking my hand towel and getting read for a night out with friends. I need this evening! Chris.... take some time for yourself today? You need it and earned it

Old 07-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deb, Have a great time..................I'm headed into the Imaging Center for tests. YUCK!! Think of me and enjoy yourself.
Chris

Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had a great evening with some wonderful friends. I hope all went well at the imaging center and that all the reports come back with good words. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.....

Love, deb

Closed Thread