It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

mentalmum08 HB User
Question Wont sleep - help

This is my first time. My mother is being weaned off aricept. She is also taking Paroxitine. She wont sleep, fights it for as long as she can. Walks around the house then collapses exhausted. Our GP wont give her a sedative. My sis-in-law has spoken to their family doctor and it's their policy to prescribel sedatives. I feel I cant menton this without adverse consequences. Any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Wont sleep - help

If your mother lives with you and you are the person being affected by her being awake all night, you MUST mention it! It is standard practice here to prescribe a mild sleeping pill for AD sufferers with night wandering (sundowning). In fact maybe you can get something over the counter (prescription free).

We have quite a few different ones here that you can buy on your own. Natural alternative is baldrian tea or tablets but that takes quite some time to kick in like all herbal remedies. Good luck!

Do talk to your Mom's doctor again. It isn't doing anyone any good to keep her from getting a good night's sleeps, never mind YOU!

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't know what's it's called over there but benedryl, which is an antihistamine, is used in Tylenol PM, a pain med with a sleep aid, is OTC here.
You might try that if it's available in your country.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I agree that you need to discuss the behavior to the doctor. Explain the extent of her wondering and exhaustion and ask what is available. Otherwise I would find an over the counter sleep aid that works for her. It is unhealthy for her and for you to get no sleep. For the health and well being of your Mom (and yourself) don't be hesitant to discuss a situation with the doctor. He has to know to understand and if he doesn't understand the first time then repeat yourself until he does. It is your Mom that is important here.

Benedryl is a non habit forming antihistimine that has almost no side effects except drowsiness. It is definitely something I would try even before a prescription sedative.

Welcome to the forum and hope you continue to return.

Love, deb

Old 07-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
(male)

rekem HB User

There are many sleep aid medications - both OTC and prescription. However, Paxil is very potent and suggest you check with her physician about any drug interactions that could occur with any additional medication.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
(female)

gemini1961 HB User

Many doctors don't and won't prescribe a sedative to a chronic wanderer because it increases the falls risk.

If you've got a chronic wanderer, now drugged wandering, the war wounds are not worth it.

At this stage, your loved one needs a secure unit to reside in where they can wander to their hearts content, rest when they're ready and have adequate supervision whilst doing it all.

Cheers

Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
(female)

Janie5301 HB User

I agree with Gemini. Your Mom needs help to sleep especially if she's living with you. My DH started to wander during the end of his illness and we tried a couple of different meds which seemed to help for a while. It's hard to find one that works because this is usually connected to sundowning. It might be time to look for a secure facility that can allow her to wander to her hearts delight.

Good luck,
Janie

Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

This thread brings back memories, not the good ones....

I lived with Mom in a second floor apartment in Queens, New York City -- and in spite of being 96 and slow moving, it was amazing how fast she got both locks on the door open and disappeared down the stairs, in her thin nightgown ... before I could grab a robe and run after her she was halfway down the street. Luckily I am a light sleeper ....

She always had some reason for needing to go out .... some excuse not really rational.

We never used any sleeping pills ... her doctor tought 6 prescription drugs for everything from heart failure to high blood pressure were enough.

At the NH she never wandered --well, she was in a wheelchair by then, otherwise I'm sure she would have tried it ....

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 07-21-2008 at 04:27 AM.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
(female)

skericheri HB User

Have you tried melatonin? I've heard that 6 mg of the stuff given about 1/2 hour before bed often does the trick as far as facilitating sleep is concerned. Some have even reported such a lessening of aggression that they were able to wean their loved ones off of other medications.

There have been several studies run...Check out the potential side effects. Double check with your mother's doctor or pharmacist. (They are mild enough that many parents of autistic children use this remedy.)

If you do decide to try the stuff...Give it a week or two to kick in. If it works and you notice that eventually it does not work (usually after several months of successful use)...Instead of increasing the dose...Stop giving it for a week or so.

Good luck

Last edited by moderator2; 08-12-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 08-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
(female)

gjg HB User

I had the same problem with my dad. He wouldn't go to bed until 3AM or later and then was back up around 6AM. I had to stay up with him for fear of him leaving the house. I finally asked his primary care for Ambien. I cut them in half and it is enough to get him tired and I can get him to bed by 10:30-11:00. He usually sleeps until around 8AM. He is very woozy but I had to get some sleep. I was getting sick myself without sleep. If the primary care won't give you anything ask one of the other doctors. I would keep asking until you get something. It is a nightmare to stay up all night, I know your pain.

Gloria

Closed Thread