It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
(male)

Chris26MI HB User
Mom had a seizure - in hospital over a week now

My Mom, age 62, is in stage 7. She doesnt talk, was on pureed food at the nursing home, and cannot walk. Last Sunday I was out on my boat and received a call from the NH. My Mom had a seizure and wasnt responding well afterwards. She dislocated her jaw during the seizure and it was stuck "wide open". She couldnt swallow because of this and aspirated, developed pneumonia.... Its been a bumpy ride!

She was admitted Sunday, Monday was in rough shape - couldnt breathe very well, O2 levels low. Tuesday was so bizarre. They had her on 2 strong anti-biotics since she got their sunday, but tuesday was a "day of clarity" for my Mom - she talked! It was amazing. She was looking at me and smiling, I joked with her about my hair falling out (I have male pattern baldness) and that I was going to get a toupee' with a pony tail.. I was just trying to get a reaction out of her. She laughed a good 5 minutes and said "you're funny" in a sarcastic way. It was sooo cool. Then my Dad had to go home, she was looking around the room. I told her Dad had to go find spaghetti (my dad has eaten spaghetti every day since before I was born) and she laughed and said "spaghetti!". Definately a big status change (in a negative way) with her alzheimers though since the seizure.....

But, since Tuesday, she went back into the fog. No talking, just whining and staring at the ceiling. Her temperature is now fine (was 101F when she was admitted). They figured the seizure was caused by an infection somewhere. Her white count was 20,000+. Supposed to be under 10,000.

So I dont post often, but I wanted to update. I want to urge everybody to get active (if you arent already) with the Alzheimers Association. We've participated in the walk last year, I am this year too, and Im going to sign up for the bicycle ride fundraiser event too. Watching my Mom is more than I can take.....

Last edited by Chris26MI; 07-21-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Mom had a seizure - in hospital over a week now

Dear Chris,

I'm sorry to hear about the huge scare you went thrugh. It's good that you had that one lucid day with your Mom when she laughed and seemed OK again - before going back into the fog.

I wish you all the best. It's a great idea to put our energies into prevention and help for others who are there .. it puts some positive energy into this otherwise negative experience. Good luck!

Love,

Martha

Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am truly sorry for your scare with your Mom but what a blessing to have one day of clarity with your Mom to hold on to. I totally agree that we all need to put some positive energy into finding a cure and a way to deal with this horrible disease not just sit and watch. It robs so many of so much. Not just those that have it but those that have loved ones, family and friends, taken from them. We all need to walk, ride, run, talk, and search for a better understanding and possible elimination in honor of those we love.

My thoughts and prayers are with your Mom, you, and your family...

Love, deb

Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Dear Chris,
I'm sorry for your Mom. It's not pleasant is it? I lost my mom to it last year. If there was one disease that we should irradiacate, I would get rid of this one. No one should suffer from this.

I'm glad that you had one day with your mom. Lock those memories away where you can pull them out to remember....they will hold you in good stead in the days to come..

YOu are in my prayers......

Old 07-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Oh Chris...glad you shared these recent challenges with us...so very sorry you have to go thru this.

I think every person's post here helps someone understand they are not alone in this terrible battle that has no victory.

Aren't those fleeting times when our loved one seems to recognize us a gift?!? After 10 long years with my own Mom (she hasn't really known me for over 5 years!) a tiny glimmer still might appear every few months...and I treasure them.

One of the hardest parts of this disease for me has been accepting what I cannot change...and you, my friend, are doing a good job of getting both you and your father info to help. I sure agree about the Alzheimer's Assoc. They were a Godsend to me also.

Please know my thoughts are with you...and post often...there are many going thru similiar stuff to share with...........Pam

Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
(male)

Chris26MI HB User

You know, I always wonder exactly "what" shes thinking when shes looking around the room or staring at something. Do you think late stage alzheimers sufferers have random running thoughts and just arent able to verbalize it?

Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

You know Chris, My mom always said that the people in her NH didn't say please and thank you enough. And the gang here could relate several of the stories that I passed on about Mom and her please and thank you bouts...

But when we were sitting at her bedside when she was dying, and not letting go, the thing that she was waiting for, was for my hubby and myself to say our "please and thank yous." Thank yous for all of things she and daddy had done for us over the thrity five years we have been married. And please now let your guardian angels take you home to daddy. You could feel them in the corner of the room waiting for her to let go. And Chris, that was what she was waiting for. Within 10 minutes she was gone. We had been there 4 days-and when we realised what she was waiting for-she was gone.

So yes, I do think that they have thoughts that they are cognizant with. It just takes us time to figure them out somehow. There isn't a manual for the Planet Alzheimer, but we sure could use one....

Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I had one last phonecall with Mom before she died. I told her my granddaughter was here for Christmas and we were all getting together that night. Mom said "I wish I could be there too." In many prior phonecalls she did not say anything that coherent. When my brother and sister in law visited her the day before she died, they found her sitting up and eating and speaking rationally. They told us all that she had beaten the odds once more (having been nearly dead the day before) and went home happy. The next day she passed away peacefully. I think they all get a beam of light before the end.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 07-23-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

In the 7 to 8 years I worked in long term care it amazed me how many times clarity preceided the end. I remember one sweet lady who had not spoken in months singing every verse of Amazing Grace and then talking to her daughter as if all was well. Another lady "woke up" and spoke with her sister. The list goes on. Each time I would marvel at the blessing the family received. Sometimes it was weeks or perhaps days or perhaps hours before but it was a final good buy of sorts. I marvel at the will of the human spirit.

Love, deb

Closed Thread