HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alzheimers-disease-dementia/)
-   -   there is hope! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alzheimers-disease-dementia/622023-there-hope.html)

Martha H 07-30-2008 11:58 AM

there is hope!

I saw some interesting news on PBS last night - in England, researchers think they have found a drug that will remove the tangles in the brain causing dementia. The study is in Stage 2 and they still have to do a Stage 3 study (larger sample population), but for now they have patients who showed 81% improvement. The researcher said this could be on the market within 5 years! It may yet remove the spectre of Alzheimer's from our minds ... I sure hope so!

Love,

Martha

gemini1961 07-30-2008 02:42 PM

Re: there is hope!

Yes Martha,that show was on in Australia too .. it's the University of Aberdeen (Scotland) who have had the breakthrough!!

They interviewed 2 ladies, one who says she's 'back to her old self' and another who says she is improving because "who wants to live like that?"

The 1st one looked perfectly fine ..the 2nd one still had a bit of a haunted look in her face, but as I understand it, like any drug, it will work brilliantly with some, ok with others and hardly anything with a few ...

Worth the risk ? You betcha!

Janie5301 07-30-2008 03:29 PM

I also saw the study too and we can only hope! There are studies going on all over and one day there will be a cure. I'm doing the Memory Walk here in Ohio in September to help raise funds.

Love to all,
janie

zonk 07-30-2008 04:43 PM

I saw this coverage as well
its encouraging to see any media coverage that raises awareness of alz but this has to be the best advancement in medical research for a long long time.
yes martha, there is hope:)
Jo

mentalmum08 08-05-2008 02:09 AM

Hi, The drug is called rember. They have even named the protien that causes the tangles. It is called Tau! I read a full-page article in the Sunday Times last Sunday (Aug. 3rd.) They report that it only delays the onset for approx> 18 months. That's the way I interpreted it. Does anyone know different? Thanks to all who encouraged me. I feel tired, but more resolved to go back up at the end of August. Wednesday is the last day that our mum has her aricept. This will be an interesting period. She has deteriorated since they cut her daily intake from 10mg to five. Now she will be on zero intake. I'm feeling less at sea having you guys to reach out to. Lot's of love from across the pond. xxxxx

Martha H 08-05-2008 04:13 AM

I was under the impression that this drug would remove the tangles for good. I hope so .... wouldn't it be great if your mother could get into the experimental phase of this drug , being in Scotland ....

Hope you have a good visit with your Mom.

Love,
Martha