It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

cyt HB User
The Forgetting on

Sunday Evening @ 8:00pm Central Time on PBS. I hope to watch it.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: The Forgetting on

I watched it before and do plan to watch it again. Thank you for the reminder

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I plan to start watching it (9 PM EDT) and hope I don't get too upset ....

Love,

Martha

Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
(male)

Chris26MI HB User

We watched it by mistake. I was very upset, crying at times, and other times I felt very optimistic.

BTW, research rember. Its a new drug they are testing that dissolves the tau proteins and beta amyloid in the brain.

The one lady on "the forgetting" who had blond hair and was in that walking wheelchair, who moved her eyebrows alot, is very similar to my mom, in appearance and behavior. Thats where I lost it

Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

We watched it..many of our family members across the country did too...we will all be affected one way or another so I thought we should all see it. It was informative, sad, yet hopeful. I'm glad we watched.

Come on studies!!!
Come on cures!!!!!
We're waiting!

Meg

Old 08-05-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I didn't get home in time to see it, but it is due to be repeated later this week.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Right or wrong I had to put on my clinical coat to watch it. Having worked in LTC I tend to slip into that mode instead of dealing with it as a child of two parents with dementia. When Dad was in the hospital with his last heart attack, physically fighting me for 14 hours out of fear because he didn't understand what was going on, I somehow learned to shift into the patient caregiver roll instead of the parent child roll. That was my worst night ever. The mind is an amazing thing. I know this is what I do and this is how I keep my sanity. It truly annoys my sisters when I let my training taken over. They see me as unemotional which is not the case. I am just controlled when necessary and chose to fall apart after the fact when I am alone. The film for me was very informative and part of my job... to be the best caregiver I can be. Instead of thinking, there's Mom or Dad, I thought, there's something that can help Mom or Dad. It is how I deal with my reality that could totally overwhelm me and make be a babbling idiot.

If there is someone that might want a copy of the video it is available, and not expensive. Just go to the producer's web site.

Love, deb

Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
(female)

Lookingout4Mom HB User

It is now able to be watched via internet. I watched The Forgetting today. I would like to know the name of the type of rare form of AD that the one woman had.

It was heartbreaking, and insightful, and also hopeful a cure is found sooner than later.

I simply put the title in a search engine and it came up.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I finally got to see a re-run of it yesterday afternoon. The family mentioned was a victim of early onset Alzheimer's caused by a defective gene. They are getting it at an early age, around 50, and it is terrifying. Imagine being in that position.

Yet I was encouraged by the research being done.

And as always, I was impressed by the loving, caring attitude of families of AD victims, who go on visiting their elderly mother in a coma, who go on caring for their confused and sometimes aggressive wife, who uplift and support each other as one by one the family members get Alzheimer's.

I hope the researcher who said in 5 years we'll have a cure is right!

Love,
Martha

Closed Thread