It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
(female)

jenngarr31 HB User
alzheimers and urine retention?

the lady i sit with sometimes only urinates 2 times ina 24 hr period, sometimes only 1 time in 18 hr period.
the family fixes all her meals and drinks for the day. so, i am the one who is in charge of feeding her and making sure she gets her fluids for the day.
i would say she gets 4 16 oz glasses on fruit juice and tea in one day.
but only eats samll amounts of food(pureed).
i was told when i began working at this job a lil over a year ago, that she has had this disease for almost 10 yrs.
she is now at the point where she has no control over body functions, no longer walks, or talks. she doesn't eve know to have bm's..we have to give her suppistories a few times a week.

my main concern is her not urinating like she should.if i tell her family,they just act like it is nothing to worry about...is there anything i can do??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: alzheimers and urine retention?

Sorry you are put in this dilemma by the lady's family. They should have her tested for a UTI (urinary tract infection) which are extremely common in dementia patients and almost usual for incontinent patients. This infection can make urination infrequent, while it build up acids in the bladder and the kidneys and leads to even worse confusion and even death.

Try again - ask the family to have her tested for UTI, and if they refuse, maybe they ought to take care of their own Mom for a while.

For you I would suggest working for a home health care agency. Then your 'boss' is not the family of the sick person but an agency with its own nurses, rules, etc. If you report this symptom to the agency, THEY will light a fire under the family to get this patient medical help.

Good luck to you and the poor helpless old lady. My Mom had this symptom frequently and was always given antibiotics, and more than the usual 8 glasses of water .... cranberry juice is also good.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
(female)

jenngarr31 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenngarr31 View Post
the lady i sit with sometimes only urinates 2 times ina 24 hr period, sometimes only 1 time in 18 hr period.
the family fixes all her meals and drinks for the day. so, i am the one who is in charge of feeding her and making sure she gets her fluids for the day.
i would say she gets 4 16 oz glasses on fruit juice and tea in one day.
but only eats samll amounts of food(pureed).
i was told when i began working at this job a lil over a year ago, that she has had this disease for almost 10 yrs.
she is now at the point where she has no control over body functions, no longer walks, or talks. she doesn't eve know to have bm's..we have to give her suppistories a few times a week.

my main concern is her not urinating like she should.if i tell her family,they just act like it is nothing to worry about...is there anything i can do??

she has a nurse that only comes out 2 times a month, they try to self diagnois and treat her.. no doctor has seen her since i have been workiing there.. a lil over a year.
and yes, she is bloated all the time, the family says she is just getting fat. not even when she fell and hit her head and shoulder on the floor.( day time girl left her alone on chair).

thanks for the information..
the lady i sit with is already drinking at least 3 glasses of cranberry juice a day. and no water. i had already asked ofr home health to do any uti test and family says, its not needed... maybe some other authority does need to steep in and speak to the family.. i myself consider this abuse..does anybody else agree??.

Last edited by jenngarr31; 08-05-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add info

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

It is hard to lable something abuse when all the facts are not known. Has this been a persistent problem that has been investigated before? Is she bloated which might signify renal shut down which does sometimes occure before death? Does she have regular visits from home health, hospice, or a doctor?

I am assuming that you are an independent caregiver caring for a patient in their home. You have previously informed the family of your observations and you should talk with them again if you are not satisfied with their response. They may have legitimate reasons for what you don't understand. Perhaps hospice would be a good option to suggest to the family because it does sound like her body is shutting down. (lack of urination and bowl movements) Letting an ALZ patient die naturally is not abuse. But if you suspect abuse, then you have an obligation to report it after exhausting other avenues to understand or correct the problem. If they are supplying food, hydration, and 24 hour care it is going to be hard to prove neglect. If you are not satisfied with the care she is getting then you have every right to turn in your notice and tell them why.

I am sorry you are in this situation and hope you find resolution soon.....

Love, ded

Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
(female)

jenngarr31 HB User

she has a nurse that only comes out 2 times a month, they try to self diagnois and treat her.. no doctor has seen her since i have been workiing there.. a lil over a year.
and yes, she is bloated all the time, the family says she is just getting fat. not even when she fell and hit her head and shoulder on the floor.( day time girl left her alone on chair).

Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Have you talked to the nurse about this problem? What is her opinion?

Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Ridesthewind HB User

Please tell the family or suggest she see her physician. She sounds late stage and I am assuming she is full care. Her systems seem to be shutting down which is normal near the end. Does she still have an appetite when you feed her? Is she having any swallowing difficulties? I am concerned about the bowel dysfunction and the lack of urine output. You may be a little deep in the water here and need additonal professinal advice. Feel free to contact me as I having been doing this type of care for a long time. Hang in there. I love that you are such a caring person!
Laura

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
(female)

jenngarr31 HB User

well, home health came in today, gave her the b-12 shot and we talked about her not urinating, and the fact that she is beginning to close her lips shut when we feed her.
she is letting her social worker in on what is going on ..

Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
(female)

jenngarr31 HB User

she only has care during the days, family takes care at night.yes, she does refuse food sometimes. , will spit it out or not even open her mouth.. haven't noticed any trouble swallowing, but i have noticed she as alot of acid (she throws up in her mouth) alot.
like i have said, they always self treat her, never take her to the dr. ...use outdated meds...very strange situation...

Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

If the home health nurse is aware of the situation and is going to contact her social worker you have do what you can do for now. You let somebody know other than the family what is going on. Hope something positive happens...

Love, deb

Closed Thread