It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
I'm so tired

Well I'm on my way to Moms again today. She is more confused lately. I've had her checked for everything I can think of. I'm a little shakey and feeling a little overwhelmed. My sisters have not been able to help for the last 7 weeks. They have problems with their health and kids of course. I'm starting to wear out here. I've been at Moms so much. Need some prayers today and a BIG towel. I'm sitting here putting off leaving the house..............thats nuts I know. I have to do this all day and the longer I wait the longer I'll be there. God bless her. Love her to death but I'm tired.
Oh well, here I go. One foot in front of the other. Geezzzzzz I hate this disease. Big breath................
Chris

Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: I'm so tired

Oh Chris, I'm so sorry.

Here, srap the towel around you. I'll take one end. DEb, no, Martha, grab the other end and help pull Chris up so we can get her going. She needs us to give her a little tug up and out. Deb is busy and tired herself. so she should push from behind I think. Bossy aren't i?

I know how hard it is. Some times you think that if you just sit for a few minutes longer it will go away, or if you don't go it won't be there. But you know that it will still be there when you get up. Funny thing about it, it just never seems to leave.

Do you think that your Mom may have had a small stroke? or is it a UTI?
keep us posted dear...and know that we are standing by with extra towels...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Deb is here Grabbing the other end of the towel and pulling Chris up!! Love your bossiness IBake..... it keeps me motivated.

I do understand your feeling Chris. Been there!!.... Am there??? It just never seems to go away. Not the disease, what it does to our loved ones, nor what it does to our siblings.

Just know you have a whole team behind you with plenty of towels and encouragements. You can do anything you set your mind to today. Then do something for yourself if it is only a long hot bubble bath and a good book.

My prayers are defeinitely with you today.

Love, deb

Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I'm pulling too - although I never read the book and am not entirely sure what the towels mean (except a helping hand!)

We are all pulling for you. Don't give up.

Love,

Martha

Old 08-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

The towel is the most massively useful thing an intersteller hitchhiker can have according the the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxie. More than it's usefulness it has immense psychological value. If you have traveled such distances and still have your towel then you are someone to be reckoned with. It only seemed fitting that when traveling on Planet Alzheimer's, hitchhiking on this disease, it was imperative to take your towel with you. It is a symbol of the resiliance, creativity, and strength we have.

Love the fact that you grabbed the towel instinctively. Says a lot about you Martha

Love, Deb

PS..... it is also a movie but the book is much better.... all 815 pages of it.

Last edited by Gabriel; 08-06-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
(female)

Janie5301 HB User

Chris...we're all here pulling on that towel! What would we do without it? I think we've all had days like this and it's SO hard to do by yourself. It sounds like you need some TLC so see if you can squeeze something in for YOU. I know it may be hard to do, but it sounds to me like you're ready to crack. Lots of prayers and love coming your way...

Love Janie

Old 08-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

The last day I had like that was when I had to take my mom to her neurologist so I know what you're talking about...how you feel.
My insides felt like twisted mush that day.

I heard a statistic today that said 60 per cent of caregivers die before the AZ patient. My sister in law...in California, was getting really concerned about my health so she had me order an Chi Gung exercise tape..it is much like Tai Chi but not as complex. Very relaxing, gentle and slow moving. I got it and played it. At first I wasn't able to move as slowly as the man on the tape. But eventually I got the hang of it..I don't do it as often as I should but what I learned from it is to slow down...relax, breathe.
I found out I had been rushing everywhere, rushing in doing things...I was on auto pilot and everything was FAST. It really has helped...just a little simple thing like that.

So, take my sister in law's advice...slow down and do something for yourself...for your health.

And lastly, I hope your day was better than expected.

(let me know when the towel needs washing..I'll volunteer to do it)

Meg

Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Oh..and one more thing...an old friend of mine lost his mother this week. She was 90, still had her mind, still living alone and driving her car...she died in her sleep. I wanted to tell him how fortunate he was but didn't know if he would understand.

Meg

Old 08-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Thank you all so very much. You can't know what your posts mean to me when I get home from a bad day. I'm exhausted. But Mom was so sweet and needed my help so much that as soon as I see her face I'm no longer tired. She is clean and her hair is done and we even got to her nails today. Did laundry and ironing. Sure got my exercise up and down the hallways. We had homemade peach cobbler and ice cream at the "social " today. There was a man playing polka music on the accordian [sp?] for two hours. Two whole hours........ Everybody POLKA!!!!! NOT, we clapped. She loved it. She requested her favorite song, The Tennessee Waltz. That was so cute to hear her sing. She knew every word. Mom doesn't know much but she amazes me when we talk to people. You would never know that she doesn't know how to do anything anymore. Or remember what just happened 5 minutes before. All in all....Good Day. A few "bumps" nothing major. She justs gets a litle worse every day. But shes here. For right now, she knows me. Thank you friends. Your all so good. I ask for prayers....they worked!!!
Tomorrow is babysitting time with my beautiful grandbabies. Lord help me....LOL Didn't I say I was tired??
Chris
Oh yes, Mom does not have a UTI or pneumonia. She does have a slight colon infection. Started her meds. She has chrohns disease. Poor lady. Thats a nasty disease also. Maybe we'll get a break from the Drs. office for awhile?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the hint Meg. I am working on the same thing... slowing down occassionally. That is one reason I just purchased my bicycle but I have been looking for something to do when it is hot or dark. I may just try the chi gung since my daughter can't seem to get the yoga tapes made.

I hope when it is my turn to go I exit this world just like your friend's Mom did Meg. I wish it was that way with my parents as well. This long drawn out affair with ALZ is..... a nightmare.

Huggies to you Chris and I am so glad your day turned out well. Sometimes it just takes getting up and going to see that it is not as bad as we imagine. I am truly sorry that your Mom has Chrohns and I hope the medication helps the infection. Get a good night's sleep and enjoy your time with the grandbabies tomorrow. Let them take you away for a day and rejuvenate you.

Love, Deb

Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

DEB!!!!

I THOUGHT YOU SAID SLOW DOWN!!! NOT BIKE AROUND!!! LOL...

Honestly ladies. Do I need a stick here to beat you all over the heads with? Martha, I could use a little help here! Slowing down. Slow - think of the turtle. That's S L O W. Now Let's think of DEB on a BIKE. That is not slow, might be a bit of a comic release, but not slow. How about knitting, or crochet, or read a book or take a nap. Or stand in the corner on your head? Y'all are givin me a headache. I think you need to chill by a pool with a glass in hand and worry about what to do. that should be thought process enough...

If only I were closer to you right now.....SIGH.....honestly....you all make me laugh. I think I'll go to work until I can quit laughing and find somthing that is slow enough for you to do....

Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

uhhh Ibake... you have not seem me peddling up a hill.... talk about SLOW hehe. The laughter must be contagious because I can't stop myself.

I love the solitude of the bike.... as I do the solitude of riding my tractor mowing grass. No cell phone, nobody yapping in my ear, no e-mail to read, and a perfect opportunity to put all that worry away for a while. More than physcial rest I need the mental rest. The people in my life tend to exhaust me more than the work in my life.

To accomplish that mental rest today I am headed to the cabin to weed eat the side of a mountain for 2 days. I just sent an e-mail to my sisters that said.... "if I am needed for the next two days you can come find me weedeating the side of the mountain." I grab mental rest where I can get it

I am so glad I found all of you..... You make me smile and laugh. You give me encouragement and good advice. You let me know I am not alone and not insane. You validate me and give me an opportunity to give back. You are my lifeline.

Love you all, deb

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I am also a bike rider --- well, I have to say I am now a tricycle rider --- but I just got back from 35 peaceful minutes, like you, NOT connected to the cell phone and able to think my own thughts ... also, I heard that biking prevents arthritis of the knee ....

Love,

Martha

Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dearest Deb....

Hon, if you are insane, you are gonna hafto - as my younest use to say - stand in line cause I think we're already there. Go and beat the crap outta those weeds.

You know, we're not that terribly far away. Could I come and help? My idea of slow down is to bake-where ever did I get that idea? I make so phenominal cinnamon rolls when I'm out of sorts. And my bread is beyond compare when I am really angry... I only wish the back surgery hadn't put such a crimp in my life.

I am looking forward to my oldest coming home..before he heads to Yakooska-obviously that is a phonetic spelling-Japan. Then there won't be enough towels for me.

Go Deb, go and get refreshed. Come back with a full heart and happy hands and a clear head. We will watch over Chris and keep her safe with towels and help her along..It's the least we can do to a fellow Planet sufferer....

peace my dear..and take your fingers out of your ears. It isn't becoming!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha!

Do you have those streamers on your handlebars and a bell? How cool would that be!

Closed Thread