It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

arkanrican HB User
Too young for Alzheimer's

My aunt has a very good friend of hers whom was diagnosed with possible alzheimers. The thing is, she is very young, only in her late 30's or early 40's. The problem we are having is that we need help for her. Her mother is an alcoholic and her sister is skitzophrenic (her mom takes care of her sister). My aunter and her 3 friends have been taking care of her, taking her to the doctor appointments and getting her out of the house. She lives alone right now, but seems to be getting worse. She cannot work, and is too young to retire. My aunt and her friends are afraid to put her in a home because she is so young and really physically beautiful. They live in florida. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any trial medications or treatments? Right now we are desperate for help!! Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
(female)

shellbelle HB User
Re: Too young for Alzheimer's

I would suggest that the first step is a second opinion and a full/thorough physical and blood work to rule out any other physical cause for these symptoms she is experiencing. Early onset is not unheard of ... the mother of a good friend of mine starting showing symptoms in her early 40s and it was in fact Alzheimer's. If she is on any medications, they may be causing some of her issues, and her family medical history may be connected to this as well. If it is in fact Alzheimer's or some other form of dementia (or any physical/mental ailment where she can't live on her own and needs assistance) a group/assisted living home may be a possibility. There are many with a wide range of ages that specialize in different needs.
Bless your Aunt for helping her and you for seeking information,
Good Luck!
Shell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

arkanrican HB User

Thank you so much for your response! Actually, she has been tested many times over. She was initially diagnosed with dementia and now they have begun the battery of tests for alzheimer's. It does happen to run in her family as far as I know. The medications she is on are directly related to her treatments for dementia and now alzheimers. My aunt and her 3 friends (the 5 of them have been friends for many years), rotate between her medical appointments, therapies, ect. This way they are sharing the responsibility and not neglecting their own families. I am very poud of them actually. We are a tight nit family (this includes friends), but I know it is killing them to see her deteriorate this way. I appreciate your info. Should you hear of any new treatments, therapies, etc.....please do not hesitate to float the info my way.
Thank you once again!!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
(female)

Janie5301 HB User

Welcome to this site but I'm so sorry for your reason to be here. You had indicated that this young woman had been tested but didn't say if it was in fact dementia or what type. There are medications out there some designed for specific dementias so you might want to check on that. It sounds like soon she won't be able to live on her own so you might want to check to see what services are available to her if she can't work. Possibly social services or a local Alzheimer's Association office could help. Unfortunatley, there is no cure just treatments that could help slow things down a bit. Good luck and keep coming back to let us know how things are going!

God bless,
Love Janie

Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

It is excellent and so very kind that your Aunt and other friends are trying to help this lady. It sounds like they have do everything possible to get a good diagnosis. Now they need to take steps for her long term care. I do understand that early onset ALZ has a more rapid progression.

The care group needs to be sure that somebody has a power of attorney so her financial affairs can be handled. She also needs medical directive, medical power of attorney, and/or living will, what ever is required in your state to take care of her medical needs. You also need to check on her financial ability to pay for the needed care and check with any services she might need. It would probably be a good idea to check with an elder lawyer to make sure all her ducks are in a row.

She is truly blessed to have such good friends and you as well. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers....

Love,,,, deb

Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
(female)

arkanrican HB User

I would like to thank everyone for their input. It is invaluable to know that there is a resource right here with others who have walked before us. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Thanks to all!!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
(male)

duncan1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanrican View Post
My aunt has a very good friend of hers whom was diagnosed with possible alzheimers. The thing is, she is very young, only in her late 30's or early 40's. The problem we are having is that we need help for her. Her mother is an alcoholic and her sister is skitzophrenic (her mom takes care of her sister). My aunter and her 3 friends have been taking care of her, taking her to the doctor appointments and getting her out of the house. She lives alone right now, but seems to be getting worse. She cannot work, and is too young to retire. My aunt and her friends are afraid to put her in a home because she is so young and really physically beautiful. They live in florida. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any trial medications or treatments? Right now we are desperate for help!! Thanks.
Spirochetal diseases such as Lyme Disease or Syphilis can mimic AD almost exactly. Anyone with early onset AD should be worked up for Lyme and Syphilis and should receive 6 months of minocycline even if the tests are negative. Minocycline has been proven to reverse the plaque build up in the brain and to reverse the symptoms of AD, even in the elderly.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
(male)

duncan1 HB User

See page 9 ( 05-19-2008 ) of this board for more information regarding antibiotics and AD.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

you say that her family has mental issues and alluded to a sister that suffers from schizophrenia. I had an Uncle that while most of his life was referred to as the strange one, did in fact suffer from Manic Depressionand Schizophrenia. What was strange was that he held a job with the post office for 25 years before the illness set in so severe that it impacted his personality, etc.

My mother showed signs of things at young age. She never liked to be in rooms by herself. She wouldn't watch TV by herself always choosing to sit through my father's favorite black/white spaghetti westerns and then rag all through it about how he could sit there and watch this stuff. They had other TV's and even though my father would suggest she watch her stuff in another room or my father would go himself to leave her with the one they were watching, she would get mad about being left alone.

I truly feel that she had things wrong and the dementia is just the end result of something going in all her life.

So what I'm saying is that there may be things with this young girl that may be found to directly coorelate to her sister's mental issues.

She is blessed to have such great friends. One needs to be given the power of attorney so that difficult decisions can be made when the time is needed to make them. Until then, she, you, her friends and everyone else posting, has my prayers.

Closed Thread