It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
Can a urinary tract infection mimic dementia?

Hi! I came on this board looking for answers concerning my Mom's memory loss and read this posted by Martha:

Sometimes such things happen for other reasons - one of the most common is a urinary tract infection which can seriously mimic the symptoms of Dementia -- but after a course of antibiotics, it goes away, Dementia does not - it just gets worse, faster or slower.

My mom (82) has been having some memory issues lately. Mostly not remembering where she put something, but she's also legally blind, which I think contributes to her problem. This past week she seemed totally confused over things, what repairman came to the house, why he was there. So much so that it really concerned me and if I questioned her, she'd get very defensive.

But...she's also been complaining of feeling the urge to urinate and nothing coming out, nausea, general ill feeling.

I never heard of a urinary tract infection mimicing dementia. Could this be her problem? (She has a dr. appt later this week to get it checked out)

Thanks!
SB

Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
(female)

gemini1961 HB User
Re: Question for Martha (or anyone!)

Oh My Goodness .. you will be surprised at how the TEENIEST urinary tract infection can send them off into an entirely different planet !!!!!

At the very, very, very first sign of something *not quite right* get a urine sample and get it tested. It's almost guaranteed there's a UTI (urinary Tract Infection) happening. The earlier it's caught, the least amount of trauma for everybody.

Don't discount a medication review either .... a build up of med's over the years can be detrimental as well.

Always cover all bases ........ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodluck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

My Moms first UTI was discovered when I took her for her apt. with her Dr. She was confused, sick to her stomach, just felt terrible. I had no idea that it could cause so many problems. Now thats the first thing I look for. My Mom is 82 and she has had quite a few infections. I would get her to her Dr. as soon as you can!!!!
Chris

Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I will raise my hand and vote for the UTI as well. Don't wait until later in the week, request the urine specimine done now. You can discuss the results after she has had two or three days worth of antibiotics. The first UTI my Mom had was an eye opener. She was completely throw mentally and physically but the infection. A few weeks later it happened to Dad. Now we are like so many more here. If the confusion becomes worse suddenly and they just don't feel good you have them pee in a hat and get the antibiotics by dark. It seems to go away almost as quickly as it comes with treatment.

I do hope your Mom is better soon.

Love, deb

Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Pee in a hat??? Say what?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

oops.... there is a catch basin that actually looks like a plastic hat. It goes in the toilet under the rim. Makes it easy to collect a sample. When I worked in LTC we called it... peeing in a hat.

It usually made the residents chuckle and was a lot less stressful than talking about urine samples. :::shrug:::

Love, deb

Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Its a plastic sort of pan that fits into the rim of the toilet. The urine goes into the "hat" and then it can be poured into the specimen bottle. If you turn it upside down it looks like a "hat".
Chris

The following user gives a hug of support to DrewsG:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to DrewsG For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 08-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Well you learn something every day! I never heard of 'pee in a hat' either, until now!

But, everyone is 100% right about a UTI - that infection can cause anybody to act weird, and for a Dementia patient it looks as if they have progressed to a much worse stage overnight. The worst of it is, they usually can't tell you ''it hurts when I pee'' or ''I am always going to the bathroom but nothing much comes out." The fact that your loved one knows and notices such symptoms speaks against dementia ... so get her to a doctor, with or without a urine sample (they will take one there) and get it fixed!

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 08-18-2008 at 11:06 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Martha H:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Martha H For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Well, I'm glad you cleared up that "peeing in a hat" business.

I was looking at our hats around here wondering which one we would be willing to sacrifice for medical purposes. I voted for one of my husband's ball caps. He said only if we put a big ole plastic bag around it. Too funny. We were laughing about it. Especially while looking at the straw hats...too many holes!

The following user gives a hug of support to meg1230:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to meg1230 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 08-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I duinno. Maybe we'd better have DEB checked out. She seems to be talking a little off today. Personally, I rather like my hat and will contunue to wear it on my head as opposed to peeing in it-thank you very much. LOL........

chuckle for the day......
LIVING WILL: Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."

So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

She's such a *****.

Last edited by ibake&pray; 08-18-2008 at 01:11 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
Bill 1950

Loved the chuckle for the day. Never heard that one before.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would have to go rabid on somebody that unplugged my computer and threw out my wine. What a tragic state of affairs that would be. You might want to check me out IBake. I spent Saturday with my daughter and her boyfriend biking over 15 miles around Bald Head Island, climbing the lighthouse to the top, and enjoying the company of some fellow amateur radio operators while I made a few light house contacts around the country. Sunday was a bike ride to breakfast and back followed by an afternoon on the beach before the rain set in. I was supposed to go home today but needed one more day on the beach and it was perfect. We are biking to my daughter's college campus tonight and I will head home in the morning by way of my niece's to see that special new baby niece of mine. It has been a much needed vacation

So keep your hats on your head Meg and only use the special plastic hats for samples. Isn't it fun to learn something new Martha I hope everybody's day has been a good one. A toast to you all.... with IBake's wine

Love you all Deb

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

And to think that I only spent Sunday afternoon listening to the Beach Boys in Concert...sigh....

Everybody's gone surfing....Surgin USA.......

And does anyone else find these ads in the middle extremely irritating?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Can a urinary tract infection mimic dementia?

YES.......very irritating. But then most ads or commercials are irritating to me. Must be old age with me. Don't have much patience anymore. Headed to Moms today. She has a few "problems" ? I don't care for change either!!!! Too much change in my life to handle. Geezzzzzzz I sound grouchy. Sorry....... Have a good day everybody.
Chris

Last edited by DrewsG; 08-19-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Can a urinary tract infection mimic dementia?

It took me a second to realise there were post below the ads... DUH! See what happens when I am gone for a day?

I actually love the beach boys IBake. My kind of music. Yes, I am jealous!!

Chris, it sounds like you need a great big hug. Grouchy is ok. You earned it. I hope you had a good day with your Mom and were able to work out all the problems.

Sister 4 is at it again. Another series of e-mails telling me and sister 2 how terrible we are. I am beyond caring. I am not sure which is worse, Mom's current constant melt downs or sister 4's rants. Send me back to Bald Head PLEAAASE! hummmm.... towels can be used to strangle can't they

Love, deb

Closed Thread