It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
(female)

mentalmum08 HB User
Thankyou one and all

Didn't think I'd receive replies so quickly, and so many. I thought I could thank you all together.
My youngest daughter(25) came up to edinburgh with me, and she was shocked by my brohers appearance and lack of personal hygiene. I am thinking of asking questions now from the mental health nurse who is attached to the team at the hospital. I feel as if they've just washed their hands of my mum. We applied to social services for help in april '08 and to date they are still dallying!!

I told my sis-in-law about all of you and your troubles. She admires all of you. I know I'm not as knowledgable as you all sound, but I do gleen tidbits from the threads and responses I read. I'd be eternally grateful if someone could enlighten me on the "Towel" scenario? Is it a metaphorical drying of ones tears? Or, have I missed the point?

Unknown love to you all. May god bless you.

XX mentalmum08

Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Thankyou one and all

The towel metaphore is from "Hitchhiker's Guide Guide to the Galaxie". According to the guide, the towel is the most usefull thing you can have for intergalactic travel!! Therefore those of us visiting Planet Alzheimer (from a wonderful book about ALZ caregiving) truly need our towels. It was IBake's incredible humor that grabbed the mention of the Hitchhiker towel and ran with it. Yes, it can dry up our tears. We have wrapped the rocks that little deb's Dad collects in towels and thrown them at those that annoy us. Wrapped rocks don't leave marks. We have laid on those towels in our imaginary wonderland of palm trees and umbrella drinks for relaxation. We have tied up our worries in them. We have waved them in surrender. We have used them to hang on to each other in times of need. We have wrapped each other in them when comfort was needed. We have even popped each other in the butt with them to get their attention. The towel has proven to be most usefull on this trip through Planet Alzheimer and new uses are being discovered daily. Did you not see the string of tied together towels holding you to us while you were in Edinburgh?

So grab a few new towels from the stack and hang on. As long as we have our towels we are one.... one amazing group of strong caring individuals that have the strength, imagination, and determination to see this through!

Love, deb

PS. Douglas Adams, the author of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxie was a fellow Brit.

Last edited by Gabriel; 08-31-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Beautifully said, Deb.

Love, meg

Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
(female)

Janie5301 HB User

I agree with Meg, Deb.....Good luck metalmum...
Love Janie

Old 09-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Metalmum..

Hang with us and we will shore you up when you need it , give advice when we can and learn from one another too..and from your original post the other day, I learned something from you..I hope you don't think I am being flip...but I just loved the phrase...

"copious amounts of foul language"

It is my new favorite phrase.

My son made some travel arrangements a few weeks back and just found out today he made them for the wrong dates..well, he did let loose wtih a few choice words and I told him that he was using "copious amounts of foul language"..it caught him so off guard that he had to laugh and it broke the tension of the colossal mistake he had made.

Here in the states we might say that he was cussing like a sailor but "copious amounts of foul language" ? I just love it.

Thanks for my smile today..
Love, Meg

Closed Thread