It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

lunalu HB User
Husband is freaking me out!

My 83 year old, very active physically and mentally has been acting strange. I have a wind chime that our daughter painted and we put it out in the tree. It was beautiful. He decided it was sending him flashes and causing headaches. He was really freaked out about it so we took it down. It's now been 6 months and
I found this precious item to me in the bushes all muddy. I asked if I could just hang it on the porch for a while and if it bothered him I would put it somewhere else. He actually cried and said that I needed to take it down because he just knew something really bad was going to happen. I am quite a bit younger than him, 54, if it matters. He has always been concerned about getting alzheimers. Does this behavior make anyone think of Alzheimers, or??? It is scarey.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Husband is freaking me out!

Being afraid of the wind chimes in and of itself is not dementia. It is paranoia. The reason could be any number of things. Are there other behaviors that make you think it is ALZ or dementia? Is he having trouble remembering? Is he repeating himself frequently? Does he have difficulty with numbers such as balancing the check book? If not, did something happen when he was younger the was tramatic and involved wind chimes? Has he had a medication change? Could the side effect of one of his medications be paranoia?

If I were you, I would get him a complete medical check up with bloodwork and a review of all medications he is taking. Mention the anxiety created by the wind chimes and see what the doctor determines.

I hope it is something simple and fixable.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I hope also that this will be something treatable. Alzheimers is not a good thing. But if you have to deal with it, you can. There are people who can help - frm geriatric physicians, to assisted living and nursing homes. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

lunalu HB User

Martha and DGab, Just saying "nursing homes" makes me cringe. I hope it never comes to that, although I'm sure in some cases it is the only answer. My grandfather had and uncle has ALZ. My husband is taking Topamax for severe cluster headaches and that may be causing paranoia and mood swings.I need to broach this subject with him when the time is right.
Having an older husband does make me worry about long term care of which I am not insured for. That in itself makes me paranoid. Where can I go to learn more?

Old 09-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Hi Lunalu..

My mom's first signs were ones of paranoia before she was diagnosed.

What we did was talk to her doctor about it first and then when she had her next appointment with him he was the one who brought it up..not us..so she couldn't be mad at us. She now lives in a protected environment and is realtively happy, enjoying other people of her own age and activities that she can participate in....

I know how scary it is to not know..maybe even scarier when you find out but at least you know what you are dealing with and can get proper atttention paid to his problem.

Good luck..
Love, Meg

Closed Thread