It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Off to JFK

I'll be flying to NYC via Detroit tomorrow - I'll wave as I pass by.

Will be sorting out my Mom's belongings. Maybe I'll take a few souvenirs home, mementos of her life. No sadness. She had a long life, and it was ever so much her time to go.

I'll be back in a week and a day.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 09-07-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

Janie5301 HB User
Re: Off to JFK

Martha,
I know this will be a hard trip and I wish you well. Do wave as you'll be going by Toledo (sort of) and I live in a suburb. Take the time that you need and remember all the things you must as you go through her things. I haven't gone through my DH's things yet but know that lies ahead for me. I'll pray that all goes well and you'll be home before long.

Take care, have a safe trip and God bless,
Janie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

quetzalmom HB User

May God bless your journey dear lady....a hard thing to do, but absolutely harvest the good memories and carry them home with you. Leave the chaff to blow free in the wind.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

I'll wave and toss you a quick prayer Martha! You must not be too far from both Jane and me.

Sorting thru is part of the healing.........please know gentle thoughts will be with you....Pam

Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
(female)

gemini1961 HB User

travel safely .... :-)

Hugs

Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Wave as you fly over Buffalo!! Be safe in your travels, and I'll be thinking of you as take on this endeavor.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Martha,
Wishing you a very safe journey....god bless, I'm sure it will be very emotional.
Love, Caroline xo

Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Have a good trip Martha. Be safe. I'll be thinking of you.
Love Chris

Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

My thoughts and prayers go with you Martha. I hope this is a healing tirp down memory lane. Remember the good that was and is your Mom. Have a save trip. You will be missed.

Love, deb

Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

We are finished with Mom's belongings, and I will fly back to Indiana via Detroit on Monday.

Now there is nothing left in the dressers here at Bill's house which were in her room ... no boxes in his garage. Two packages will arrive at my house next week, one at my niece's house, several cartons full went to a church with a thirft shop, and a lot went into the trash, collected this morning, including the awful 'commode' (potty) which gave me such grief for years, since Mom would use it without opening the lid ....

I think of her all day long, yet there is definitely closure here. We gave a lot of pictures to my nephew. We gave some costume jewelry to the thirft shop. Some old German medical books are being auctioned off on eBay.

Not much left of a 99 year long life.

It really makes me sit down and re-examine all my values. What is the point of saving thousands of pictures, many of people no one alive today has ever met?

Why save a lot of money? Possessions? What we remember about Mom was her love, her unfailing good humor, her positive attitude even in the NH. That survives.

Love to all , and safety for all involved in this latest horrendous hurricane, Ike.

Love from NY,

Martha

Old 09-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am so glad it went well for you Martha and that you found the closure that you needed. I hope you also enjoyed the time with your brother.

I agree... it is about the love and memories and feelings. These are the important things we take with us. The other stuff is just stuff. Glad the work is behind you, enjoy your weekend, and have a safe trip back home. We all look forward to having you back here.

Love, deb

Old 09-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User

Miss you like crazy, Martha. Can't wait to see you back on...

Your point about saving all that stuff? I am SOOO with you! I don't know why we save every little thing. I really don't. I think it's for our personal legacy. But I no longer care about my legacy -

I want to die living - not live dying. I save nearly nothing. I have no money, but the Lord provides enough plus some. I have a family I love, a God I love, a God that loves ME, memories galore, and little else. And I may be the down-deep happiest person you will ever meet.

Let's all pay less attention to "stuff", and more attention to living, shall we?

...little deb

Old 09-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #13
(female)

quetzalmom HB User

Welcome back Martha, I glad you got it done.
Do y'all realize we are the last generation to have pictures and letters to leave behind? My 26 year old has pictures on computer and text messages. His generation will leave behind a hard drive.
Q

Old 09-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
(female)

Janie5301 HB User

Oh Martha....I'm glad that's behind you as I know it was hard. I think we all have too much stuff too. I'm in the process of downsizing my stuff and it feels so good. I find that living without my DH that I don't need much. I'm blessed and grateful every day for my family, friends and God. He's been in control from the beginning so I just let him lead me where I need to be. Have a safe trip home and enjoy the time with your brother.

Blessings,
Janie

Closed Thread