It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

Kady123 HB User
Are There Tracking Devices for Alzheimer's Patients

Hi, I'm new here and my mom has AD or some type of dementia. She loves to sit outside on the porch. Today she went out to sit on the porch while I was checking the mail. I fixed myself a cup of coffee and went out to join her and she was gone. She has never done this before, so it really shocked me and frightened me. I have already changed all the locks on my doors to key entry and exit only. But I really hate to keep her locked inside. We both enjoy sitting outside but I don't want to have to worry or make her come in everytime I want a cup of coffee or have to use the restroom. Does anyone know if there are any type of tracking devices that would set off an alarm if she got more than 25 feet from the house. My mom is incredibly sweet and just loves to hug people and tell them she loves them. Everyone that meets her just falls in love with her. She is 80 and she is beautiful. She remembers that she had a house and she gets it in her head that she is going home. I would appreciate any advice I can get and thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Are There Tracking Devices for Alzheimer's Patients

Welcome to the board Kady. You came to the right place. There are great caregivers here with loved ones in all stages of dementia. They have been my sanity over the last year with great advice, real experiences, strong shoulders, and good listening ears.

To answer your question....Yes. There are several things you can do. If your porch has a railing you can put a simple intruder alarm on the open area. It is nothing more than a light beam that sounds an alarm when the beam is broken. Medical Alert Systems and some other companies have wander alarms that are necklaces or bracelets that go off when you get a certain distance from the monitor. A web search for wander alarms should give you what you want. You could also take a baby tv monitor with you with the camera left in an area beside her.

It is not unusual for someone with dementia to wander. It has happened to most of us here. My Dad does have a wander bracelet in the AL he is in. It is comforting to know that if he does goes out the door, again, an alarm sounds.

Again..... welcome to the board.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
(female)

gemini1961 HB User

Quote:
I have already changed all the locks on my doors to key entry and exit only
That's a bit of a worry in case of fire!! There are lots of alternatives for you to take. Remember the ol' stable doors? They worked well in a hospital I visited once for their Dementia patients, as well as bracelets, anklets and necklaces.

Do a web search on your local Alzheimers chapter and they may be able to help you, or at least Alzheimers in your state/country usually provide a great deal of help. Mom can also wear an ID bracelet that identifies her in case she still beats the *system* (I know of TOO many people with dementia who have STILL managed to sneak out .. talk about cunning!! LOL)

Goodluck!!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
(female)

Raffeer HB User

At the ALF my husband is in they use individual motion detectors (battery powered, size of a baseball) by the beds. This would work if you were to put one by her seat).
Also while my dh was still home I had the doors equipped with buzzers after he went "for a walk". Now that I'm alone here I haven't disconnected them. I feel more secure knowing when a door is opened.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
(female)

Kady123 HB User

Thank you everyone. I found an alert system at Radio Shack that I think I will try. It detects movement and was highly rated according to the reviews. I have posts at the exists off the porch that I can set this system up on and if mom steps off the porch it will sound an alarm in the house. It works by radio frequency. If my husband thinks it is a good idea, we may pick it up today (if Radio Shack has it in stock). If this item works as well as I hope it does, I will be sure to let you all know so that others will benefit from it too.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccr View Post

I loved the way you described your Mom. 80 and beautiful.

I noticed this little sentence too...it brought a couple tears. Each of us have cherished memories..........p

Old 11-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

The packet I received from our local alzheimer's association had an ad for MedicAlert's Safe Return program. It's not a bad idea to have something like that just in case she does manage to "beat the system."

Emily

Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I think you found the right answer. I was not smart enough to know there was such a thing - I spent many months sleep deprived, expecting my Mom to get up and leave the apartment, and wander around in New York Ciry (Queens) where we lived. I had both a lock and a chain on the door, but Mom had no problem getting everything open and disappearing in a flash. However, in the daytime, she did not know how to get the chain off and complained about it a lot.

Once she got to the NH they pinned a device to the back of her wheelchair ( by then she could no longer walk) and an alarm went off if she ever got beyond a certain point. Walking patients had the device on the back of their shirts or jackets or blouses. I guess putting it on an arm or leg made it too easy for them to try to get it off. Behind their backs they forgot all about it ...

Good luck. My Mom was beautiful too ... at 99 she passed away as a result of this disease and old age. She had snow white hair, blue eyes, and a happy disposition. Disregarding all the bizarre things she did during the many years with Dementia, she is still my role model ...

Love,

Martha

Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Dad wander decive was a bracelet but it was permenantly attached and he could not get it off. He tried!!! It alarmed when he went close to any outside door or stairway door, other than the dinning room door that went out into an enclosed court yard.

Love, deb

Old 11-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Mom had that bracelet also. After she was found out on the street by someone coming to visit another patient. The worst of it was that they didn't know how long she had been gone. They did know how long they were on the phone with me! I can talk a very long time without breathing! We used to say that mom was banded for migratory flight patterns..she was also found in the truck that delivered the meds. The driver was a little surprised to see Mom in there. Then she escaped with the delivery driver that delivered the produce for the home..she was very fast.

The wrist guard was great at keeping her in and safe.......but a little expensive for home use.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
(female)

Kady123 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Are There Tracking Devices for Alzheimer's Patients

Hey everyone, I said I would report back if the motion detector that I bought at Radio Shack worked. It works great. I also noticed that at the drug store they use the same device to alert them when someone drives up to the window. The device has a base unit that is setup inside the house and the detector part is put outside (or inside) where you need it most. I have mine setup so that if anyone walks near the porch entry, it buzzes. You can purchase several detectors to go with the base unit. It only cost about $50 for the base unit and it comes with 1 detector and you can purchase extra detectors if you need more than one. It has helped me keep mom from wandering when she decides to just take off. As a matter of fact it has alerted me every time she's tried. So if you have an AD parent living with you that tries to slip off when you're not looking, give this device a try.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Excellent Kady... I am glad it is working for you and I am sure it will be helpful for others. Wandering can be such a scary thing.... it's nice to know that there is a product out there that can help.

Love, deb

Closed Thread