It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

UkiahLinda HB User
downs syndrome and dementia

I have my 51 year old brother who has had dementia for at least 1 year that we know of. He has all but stopped eating for the last three weeks and is dropping weight steadily. Since he is almost non verbal I am at a loss as to what is going on. Sometimes he looks at food like he will puke and other times he just tells me he is full. He isn't drinking much liquids. He used to drink pepsi all the time and now he rarely has even one can. has anyone else gone through this and what should I expect? we are going back to the doctor tomorrow to see about something for the halucinations as the pills he has now he doesn't swallow well. They are so small they end up in the glass of water....... thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
(female)

Janie5301 HB User
Re: downs syndrome and dementia

Ukiahlinda,
Just checking in to see what the doctor said about your brother. I don't have any experience with Downs and dementia but it sounded like something was going on and I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you.

Love Janie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I also hope you got some help at the doctor's. Often we have to 'play it by ear' in dementia care. It isn't easy. Maybe a pill can be mixed with applesauce or some other food?

Does your brother live with you?

I am hoping for more news from you. I also have no experience with Down's, but plenty with dementia ---

Love,

Martha

Old 09-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
(female)

UkiahLinda HB User

Doctor gave us some liquid meds this time and I use a dropper and he takes it very well. This morning was one of the best I can remember as he ate more than he has in weeks. Although he didn't eat the rest of the day, but his mood was great till bed time. he gets scared at bedtime and so he sleeps with me now. I appreciate your concern. He lives with me and has for several years, although it has only been about 4 years it has been just he and I.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
(female)

UkiahLinda HB User

thanks for your kind thoughts. this has been quite a journey, but one that I feel we were meant to take together. the doctor gave us some liquid this time and said I was doing all that anyone could do. but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

Closed Thread