It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User
Back to the hospital

Hi everyone.
After the first 72 hr hold on mom it took me another 10 days to find somewhere for her to live. Thought I found somewhere nice, the place is for 5 women only. While she was in the hospital the first time they didnt put her on any behavior meds, even thou she was having problems with behavior. The first few weeks were ok and then she started having problems, it got to the point that she was breaking things and being very abusive, so they had to call the sherriff and take her back to the hospital. They have started her on respital(sp). I talked to her today and she seems alittle calmer. She says she doesnt want to go back there, but the only other place now is a NH in the lock down part. I hope she will mellow enough to go back to the Alz home. The hospital said she wont be leaving there untill at least Monday, hopefully by then she is regulated on the med and she will stay calm.

Just when I think things are going to smooth out this happens.
Sorry if this doesnt make sence, my mind is spinning out of control.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Back to the hospital

I hope she will calm down enough to go back to the home, where you say she was doing well. I really hope this works. On some kind of calming medication, she could be quite happy there, and it's easier than starting over. Good luck. I'm thinking about you. Get yourself a good night's sleep now.

Love,

Martha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I do hope you are on the right path with this medication. If not there are other medication options. Hopefully your Mom will calm down and you will be able to take her back to where she was. Don't give up hope. Monday is a life time away on Planet Alzheimer I will keep you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers!

Love, deb

Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

I talked to hospital staff today. They think mom has a UTI. Also found out that she is flushing her food down the toilet, or throwing it up, the same with her meds. She has lost a great deal of weight in the resent past and her memory problems have gotten worse. I told them to put a DNR on her. She doesnt want to live like this and I dont want them to try to keep her alive if her quality of life is this bad.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

The UTI would probably explain why your Mom was doing well and then it all went down hill. It totally amazes me what a UTI can do to an elderly individual. She will bounce back after a few days of treatment with antibiotics. I totally agree with the DNR. Mom and Dad have living wills and medical directives which include DNR orders. I do hope it all works out for you. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers......

Keep us informed...

Love, deb

Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

Mom doesnt have a UTI, all her test came back normal. She did tell a nurse that she doesnt want to live any more, she wants to go to and be with her husband. Shes on a "bathroom" watch now. They are going to try to keep her from flushing or thowing up her food and meds.

My heart aches so bad for her.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am so sorry Craft. I do understand how you are feeling. It is so difficult to see our parents so miserable. Hopefully the medical staff will find a solution. Mom has had periods when she expressed the same desires. She is on anti depressants as well as her anti anxiety medications. The intensity of the feelings deminish but the basically feeling remains..... she doesn't want to be where she is. I wish she was more like my Dad who is thankful for every day, even in his confusion. I wish I could bottle whatever he has and give it to my Mom..... and yours....

Love, deb

Old 09-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Your post brought tears...I'm just so sorry...

I would think your Mom has some realization of what's happening to her...and who here would not have similiar thoughts if it were us....? I sure do understand your mention of.....

She doesnt want to live like this and I dont want them to try to keep her alive if her quality of life is this bad.

My Mom is starting her 10th year in a facility...how this has changed my life along with hers! Both inlaws also afflicted with Alzheimer's...MIL passed just before Christmas...FIL starting 4th year in a facility.....sigh..........

I agree with Deb that trying a different med may help...sometimes it will take a while to determine the exact formula...but it will surely make this horrific situation easier to bear.

When my Mom was first affected, I'd look at each "older" person I'd meet that was NOT in the grasp of any dementia and hope their family appreciated the wonderful gift they had! Now, I find myself on the brink of being one of those "older persons"! Such an awful disease this is..............Pam

Closed Thread