It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

quetzalmom HB User
View from a neighboring planet...

I still don't know if my mom has a form of dementia, or depression or what. We've got a doctor appt scheduled for 10/02 and doctor has been informed what to look for. So I'm orbiting planet Altzheimers for now.
I have been spending quite a bit of time on planet Autism, and I share this story with you, not to illicit sympathy, but in hopes it will give you a giggle, as the whole situation did me. My husband has spent a lot of time in Afghanistan. My autistic 9-year-old, who can neither tie his shoes nor regroup for subtraction, always knows what time it is in Kabul. If daddy is late from work, no matter the reason, he starts telling me what time it is in Afghanistan. My husband has been staying late after work in Alexandria (VA) where his mom is dying. She may have no more than a day or two, so they try make sure someone is always there. I finally explained to my son that his Grandma Rose (who he's only met twice) is dying. He understood, he talked about how Dad would be sad, he even said he would be sad when Grandma (my mom) was "selected back to heaven". I showed him, on the map of Virginia in his textbook, where daddy is tonight. He understood why dad couldn't be home. I felt I'd settled his concerns. Then he started asking me "Well, what time is it in Alexandriastan?" It's now bedtime and I've explained at least ten times that it's the same time there as here! What a strange galaxy we live in.
Love to all,
Q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: View from a neighboring planet...

Just when you think you have it all worked out...... That did give me a smile. My question is...... what time is it in Alzherimistan???

You do have your hands full Q. Hope your Mom doesn't have dementia and it is something that is fixable.....

Love, deb

Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

quetzalmom HB User

Given that all time is relative, and in Alzherimistan there is no fixed point of reference, I think time there is undefined.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Hi Q,

I think time stands still on this planet of Alz. It took me awhile to come to grips that my mom is on planet Alzheimer's...and I'm on the planet of Reality...where things you hope don't happen....do.

Anyway, your son sounds like an absolute gem and I can so relate to the Autism. My youngest has Asperger's Syndrome. I know all about the clocks and machines and how things work. He's come a long way since his elementary school days, so there is hope! He even taught himself to play the piano...unbelieveably beautiful music my son makes when I'm feeling like the world is caving in with all the responsibility in caring for my mom even though she is in a nursing home now. I don't look at a disease or syndrome as a curse, I look at it as a gift...to see their life through my eyes.

Hopefully, you'll get some answers to your questions regarding your mom and her condition. Take care and know we're here for you.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 09-20-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Thank you for that ray of sunshine this morning Sunny.... I can hear the beautiful music in the background and admire you prespective. Thank you again for the uplifting moment of realization that there is always something to be thankful for.......

Love, deb

Old 09-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

I'm sitting here now with my grandson Drew while he is doing "homework". He is in kindergarten. He is autistic and has also come so far in his journey. He is into the how and why of things now. No matter how much my heart is breaking over Mom, "I sure missed you Grandma" is so wonderful to hear. He lost all speech at 18 months.
Anyway, I can so relate. Last week I said "Its raining cats and dogs out there". Of course Drew ran to the window to see them. "I don't see any cats or dogs Grandma"?
Chris
Alzheimers and Autism is my world now.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

One of my nephews was an autistic child. He grew up to have a good job at a bank - yes, there is more contact to computers and machines than to people - and he is happily married (no kids). In his childhood he was very difficult. Autism was still blamed on a 'cold mother' at that time, regardless of the fact that his siblings were normal ...

You are a wonderful grandmother and a great daughter. keep up the good work in both universes, Alzheimer's and Autism ...

Love,

Martha

Old 09-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
(female)

quetzalmom HB User

Who knew there were so many visitors to both planets? Thanks for sharing your stories, I am now not alone 2X. I don't know what my son's future is, but I am so glad that I am his mom. Last week he had the school nurse call me because he complained of a headache caused by the poison in the art room. Mama freaks until it's determined he had not been in the art room since last week. Turns out he remembered the teacher telling them to wash hands after sharing equipment to avoid the spread of germs. So when he felt ill, he assumed it was caused by the art room. I thought he had consumed turpentine or something.

Closed Thread