It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

cyt HB User
Anybody live with a Control Freak?

My husband has a memory problem. As if that were not bad enough he now wants to tell everyone what to do! I can't reason with him. He gets mad and blows up when I try to have an idea of my own. He wants it his way and cares nothing about how I feel. Has anyone else experienced this with a husband who has early stages of memory loss? It's so difficult to have a conversation with him as he will get mad and start yelling and not want to listen to my reasoning at all. He also tells our college kids what to do and how to do it. I'm afraid they won't want to come home as much. If there were anywhere or anyway for me to run away I would. It's just so frustrating and makes me unhappy. He used to be so jolly, laughing all the time and pleasant. Now he's always in a bad mood, oh, and he has started cussing, something he never did before. It's so hard to live with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Anybody live with a Control Freak?

I am truly sorry you are having to deal with this cyt. It must be so difficult for you knowing that he can not internalize what you are saying and on planet alzheimer they are always right. They think they have it all together when you know they don't and you know best at this point. Have you discussed this problem with his doctor. Perhaps there is a mild anxiety medication that will help take the edge off his aggitated outburst. My dad was a bit that way at home and a PRN ativan or xanax worked wonders. My other suggestion is to try to talk to him early in the day rather than later in the day when he is more fatigued and and the daily frustrations have built up. Is there a possibility of getting him a companion for part of the day to give yourself a break. Pehaps somebody with like interest that he would enjoy relating to. I do hope you find a solution.... hopefully some of the other gals will have other suggestions.....

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

Janie5301 HB User
Re: Anybody live with a Control Freak?

My husband did not experience this in his early stages but in reading your post you had mentioned he was in the early stages. My thought is this: maybe he is acting this way because he knows something is wrong and his anger is coming out as his way of dealing with it. As always, Deb has very good suggestions as to dealing with it. Possibly a mild anxiety drug could help him and ease some of his tension.

You'll be in my prayers,
Love Janie

Closed Thread