It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

semc61 HB User
Pics Disease

My best friends husband has been dx'd with Pics disease. He just turned 50. Rapid progression of the disease over the past 6 months. Is there a discussion group or support group available for a care giver in this age range??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User
Re: Pics Disease

Hi semci...I have found interesting information on many different things by simply typing in the word in the "SEARCH" box in the left upper corner right here.

I did try "picks disease" and several things came up right here on these pages. Hope this helps....p

Last edited by petal*pusher; 09-28-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
(female)

gemini1961 HB User

Picks Disease is one of the Frontal Temporal dementias ........ rapid decline, intense behaviours .... VERY hard !!!!

Symptoms include Primary Progressive Aphasia (reducing the knowledge of words and finally, the inability to speak anything legible other than babble with the occasional yes, no, 2, 2 3 thrown in)

Behaviours become uninhibited: Public masturbation, increased sex drive with anybody, minimal sympathy (eg: grandchild hurts knee, Picks person cannot console and will more than likely laugh, hurt more or just walk away), eating inappropriate things (not always food, and may now eat foods previously disliked), comprehension of what is said to them, public incontinence, violent outbursts at anybody who crosses them in any way (yes, I've been punched for just standing there doing nothing) and sadly, this disease can be hereditary.

It's a very fast decline: about 2 years from noticing the symptoms (thereabouts) There is a support group in Philadelphia (not much use to me in Australia)

How do I know all this? My ex-charge has it. Nasty. nasty. Nasty.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
(female)

semc61 HB User

Thank you for your help and info. This is a very sad and harsh disease.

Closed Thread