It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User
Who are we?

I imagine this has been done before, but...

I don't figure I will ever get a chance to ever meet you all. Oh, how I wish we COULD all gather in Cabo for an all-inclusive week of sun, cabana boys and foo foo drinks with umbrellas in them, but...we have too many responsibilities - each one of us. But I double-love each of you, and want to feel like I know YOU, not just all that we all do. So, I was thinkin', how 'bout a proper introduction? And I will start:

My name is Deb, and I will be 54 in 10 days. I have a DH, 30 yr old daughter, 21 yr old son and 12 yr old son. Have one dog (a beagle) Maya, and a cat, Minga. Had another daughter that would be 31, but she passed in 1996. I take care of my father, who has dementia, and I am his full time caregiver. I USED to be a successful insurance agent, and loved my career. I love this one, too.

We live in Denver Colorado, where we moved from Oregon in 2002. We moved here because our daughter lived and worked here, and we all just missed each other too much to be apart. We moved dad here following mom's passing in 2004. Dad lives next door to us, and has a stupid fat dog, Mitzi. Oooooh, how that dog annoys me. Anyway, he is 82, and has no idea he's 82.

I am 5'3, carry a bit too much weight (a bit? Oh, how I DO go on...). I have red hair (thank you Clairol), still a lot of freckles, and my hobbies are cooking, baking, sewing, acrylic painting and gardening. I am active in my Church, and am currently working on a food drive to feed hungry families here in Denver.

So how 'bout it? I would love to make y'all's acquaintance....

...lil' deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Who are we?

What a wonderful idea! Nice to meet ya, lil' deb!

I've been a stay-at-home mom; domestic goddess; whatever you'ld call it since my first son was born in 1982. I worked part-time here and there; now and then during those years, but for the most part, my job is mom. I was very much a PTA mom and held the job as Treasurer of my kids' school...a big job as a volunteer, but, I have my Lifetime Member pin!

My name is Diane and I'm a strawberry-blonde (natural...with some gray hairs now) Oh well, I turned 53 two months ago so I suppose it's expected! 5'2; hazel eyes; and pleasingly plump.

Married to hubby for almost 27 years; two sons age 26 and 21 who still live at home....and our Golden Retriever, Maggie, who is two. I call her my little girl! What can I say, she's the little girl I never had and helped me cope with my hysterectomy by just being my baby.

Most of my time these past 7-8 years have been tending to my mom; and her sister, my aunt, with their health related problems.

My mom is now in a nursing home with dementia. I'd say she's at stage 6 and seems to have leveled off...just have to keep her physically healthy.

My aunt will be going to the same facility for rehab from hip-replacement surgery in about two weeks. So I'll be running double duty over there. Luckily, she does not exhibit any dementia at her young age of 82. Hopefully, I'll have her back in her own home within a few weeks and she can get back to her very active life.

Needless to say, being POA of them both and all the other stuff, can get overwhelming.

So, I will take my aunt to the surgeon tomorrow for consult; Thursday I see my mom and listen to another adventure of how she went here and there...she even goes to NYC in her travels! Amazing how the imagination works in a dementia patient.

That's enough about me for now! Anyone else?

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 10-14-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Hi Ladies,
I will take my turn now....I think this is a wonderful idea!

My name is Caroline, I am 39 years old. I have been married for 8 years, with a 4 year old son, and am currently expecting our second child. (I am 14 weeks along). I was born in Ireland where most of my family still lives, but we live in Toronto, Canada. I am an only child.....

I work full time, have worked in the same Marketing job since I was 17 years old. Would love to be a "domestic goddess" as Sunny calls it (I love that).....but sadly, I would have to win that big old lottery!!!

I come to this board in support of my grandmother who has dementia, and is in late stages. She is 95 years young. I come for support for my Uncle who is her sole caregiver, god bless him, and for my mom who desperately tries to do all she can from a long distance.

I am 5'5......strawberry blonde hair.......and my weight well lets just say I'm pregnant, so for the next 6 months it cant be held against me!

For my past 7 or 8 years......since I turned 30, I have seen alot of illness and death in my family. It's been a rough road, but I'm struggling to rise above it and look to the future since I am about to bring another little life into the world.

I dont really have any hobbies.....I like to shop of course (I'm a female).....I like to cook, unfortunately for my family as just because I "like" to cook, doesnt mean I'm good at it! I like to read when I have a chance, and I love to travel with my family and get away from the "routines" of life.

That's about it for me girls......

Love, Caroline xo.

P.S. Dearest Deb.....I had no idea you had lost a daughter.....I am very sorry....((((big hugs))))))

Last edited by mary09; 10-14-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Great idea little deb......

My name is also Deb. I am well into 57 and loving it. I have light brown/blond/gray hair and it's natural. I am 5'6 and weigh 65 pounds less than I did a year ago. I have just finished donating all my old clothes and replacing them with size.. 10!!! Yes, I am proud of myself and ride my bicycle as often as possible to keep me this way. I have been married for 35 years to the same engineer and have a 28 year old daughter that is the light of my life. She is a senior in college (better late than never) and supporting herself while she does it. My only disappointment is that she decided to do it 5 hours from home. She has a long time boyfriend of over 5 years and I think it's permanent without the paperwork.

I have three sisters, some of which drive me nuts at times. There are 5 nieces (three married), and now 3 great nieces and nephews to love.

I have always lived in NC and spent four wonderful years at NCSU. I spent 7 years working in HR until my daughter was born and we moved to the Charlotte area. When my daughter was 3 I started working in a long term care facility as Assistant Admin/Social Worker/Financials/Peronnel/ anything else that came up. It was a new facility with 100 nursing/rest home beds including an ALZ unit and 30 apartments. When my daughter was in 2nd grade she was diagnosed ADHD. I could not work 24/7 with all the responsibility I had and do what was right for her so I went part time at LTC. My hours reduced to 40+ so I eventually found my replacements and left. One of my good friends was a teacher and she talked me into subbing for her class while she went on a trip. Once signed up I was hooked. I spent the next 13 years subbing in all subjects in all grades but ended up mainly at the high school. During that time I spent years working daily with the high school marching band as well.... being an old band nerd myself. I was VP and fund raising chairman for the junior high and marching band fund raising chairman as well. I enjoyed every minute of it. As Dad and then Mom became progressively worse, and my daughter ventured into other areas of her life, I worked less and less until I left for good not long before Mom was diagnosed. Now I just ride the roads between here, Mom and Dad, and my daughter's. I also take care of all Mom and Dad's financials, insurance, taxes, etc... including the farm that Mom has with her sister, their home and their mountain cabin.

About the same time Mom was diagnosed my FIL fell over his walker petting the cat he had just stepped on, toppled over head first into the dresser, and broke his neck. He spent about a year in the hospital/rehab with a halo brace and PT but he is back home. Hubby was astounded the last time he visited his parents because his Mom didn't remember his previous visit. Yep, here we go again....

I love my bicycle and swimming in my friend pool, enjoy reading and music, and I am addicted to my computer and the friendships I have developed here. I enjoy working outside in my flowers, my koi pond, and mowing our acres. I put up lots of food in the summer. I love hummingbirds and feed them right outside of my window so I can watch them. I have a best friend, the kind you talk to several times each day, and we try our best to keep each other semi sane. When I have the time I enjoy sewing, smocking, and other crafty things.

That's more than I intended to write so I am going to stop....

Next!!

Love..... deb

Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh my gosh! I had no idea that this would be this terRIFfic!

I am might glad to make y'all's acquaintance!

I think that we all (ok, maybe it's just me) get all wound up in what we DO - and for all of us, that is a lot - and we forget that we are human beings, women, and individuals. I wanted to bring that all out - for MY benefit (cuz I wanted to know you), and for our individual benefits.

Deb - I know you are a wise and generous woman - but I never knew you had a Koi pond! How wonderful is THAT?

carsam - I didn't know you worked in Marketing! How interesting! And do you know the sex of baby #2 yet? (Just whisper - no one will hear...)

Sunny - You work with TWO ALZ dementia patients? Good grief. You are superhuman!

And I would like to think that I can address you all by name now. But my memory fails me waaay too often.

It's nice to know about stuff that makes you all tick. And again...

*deb shakes hands all the way around * Nice to Meetcha!

NEXT!!!

...lil' deb

Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

Aloha,

About five years ago my life became different in so many ways. I had a major change in my work and personal life. I made a decision to change careers and at the same time I chose that, the long term realtionship I was in decided he no longer wanted to be in the realtionship. I found myself in a new job, new home and broken hearted. I am currently working in the Medical Field. I had been in the Early Childhood Field for 27 years. I was the Director of a preschool in the Boston area. Loved what I was doing but reached a point in my life where I felt I needed to experience some thing different. I am currently working at a hospital in the suburbs of the Boston area. I work in the Admitting Dept. I have been there now for 5years and not so sure it is what I want to do the rest of my life. I am 53 years old and still searching for the career/job that I can feel passionate about like when I worked with the children in preschool. I will let you know when I find it? I moved back into my parents home four years ago when I found things here were getting very difficult and overwhelming for my Dad taking care of Mom all alone.
When I am not working I spend most of my time taking care of the day to day things here for Mom and Dad. Yard work, Home projects, I just finished staining the deck this weekend. I love to keep moving with some type of project going on. I used to be a big reader. I find now I am more apt to come home and turn on my computer as opposed to reading like I used to. I love to visit my younger brother and his family out in a town called Loveland, Ohio. He moved out there about 5years. He has two children Logan & Chloe 2 and 4 years old. I also love to travel. My ex and I used to go to Hawaii every year for our vacation. It was my favorite place in the world. I haven't been there for over 5 years now. I do go to Maine every year. I generally travel with my niece who lives near by. She is 17 recently got a boyfriend so I bet I will loose my traveling companion soon!! I am also a big runner I have been a runner from way back even though I don't run the miles I used to 6 miles a day 5 days a week. I am still so thankful I can do the 3miles I do every night. I have a favorite place I run its called Jamaica Pond. It is a paved walkway that is a mile and half around a very pituresque pond. Its my santuary away from all the home stuff that goes on. I still every day no matter what, come home change from my work clothes to my running shoes and step out and love it every time.
Glad to be part of this wonderful board and great people.

Love Pauline

Old 10-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I have to condense this, it's far too complicated. I am 69 years old, yes, going for that big Seven Oh in March!

I escaped from an abusive and adulterous husband 8 years ago. We had been married 36years.

My grown children, 2 boys and a girl, are all in their 30s. I have 3 grandchildren so far, and with the younger son getting married on March 7 there could soon be more. I also lost one daughter in a late miscarriage. I have a sister who has been difficult in her perceptions of Mom and who blamed me for most of Mom's dementia symptoms. I also have a wonderful brother who has been a rock for me in all the changes I went through.

When I left my husband, I moved from a tiny village in West Germany to New York City, my home town, and moved in with my Mom in her small apartment in Queens. At that time she was 91 and I was 61. Not getting any support from my ex, I found jobs,(teaching 2nd grade, then teacher in a pre school, then teacher/director of that preschool), got a NY drivers license (the German one was not recognized, I had to take a written test and a road test!) and took care of Mom. She was already getting forgetful, but no one called it Alzheimer's .. everyone thought, well she is OLD!

After a short hospital stay for heart failure she was put on 6 drugs and within 3 months was totally confused. I stayed with her for 5 years, working and being her caregiver. In June 2000 my brother took over her care and I retired from teaching and came to Indiana to live near my daughter and her 2 boys.

I love to read, attend book discussions at the library, knit, do needlepoint, walk, swim. I go to Curves for exercise. I have a close circle of neighbors and friends here in this 20 apartment complex; we are having a block party this Saturday. I go to church, sometimes teach Sunday School, mind the grandsons at least once a week (6 and 8 yrs old), go for long walks in a nearby park/forest which I can see from my LR sliding door, and I ride around town on an adult 3 wheel bicycle.

I love my life and am very happy. I thank God every day for all my blessings. After Mom died she left a sign here in my apartment letting me know she is alive and well on the other side. It was a red feather I found on a doll I had named after her.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 10-15-2008 at 03:58 AM. Reason: fix punctuation

Old 10-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Well, it must be my turn now that I'm back.

I have a real name- Jill Michelle...

I lost my father one year ago to Vascular dementia with an aortic abdominal anuerism. He was in the same ward as Mom due to an evil head nurse who didn't like patients who caused any work so she moved Dad into the locked ward where Mom was. They were in the same room when the anuerism burst. Daddy died sitting in his wheel chair looking at the woman he had married 65 years ago, the love of his life..

In two weeks it will be the one year anniversary of my mothers passing to this horrid disease that left me an orphan. When we buried Dad I came back to the home and told her that daddy had passed and she just looked at me and said "no no nooooooooooooooo." and rocked back and forth. She knew. The staff put her on a 3 week mercy watch as they call it. She was quiet and withdrawn but seemed to be coming round. No, she was just deciding when she was going to join Dad...So, now I am an orphan-having been an only child.

I have been married to the same wonderful stubborn man for 35 years. We have two phenominal sons who have given me the 2 daughters that I waited so long for. We have one delightful grandson that is named after my father. The little one belongs to my youngest son-the one who isn't talking to me and wants no nuts in his baked goods..the child who has been 45 since the day he was born....

Our oldest son, is in the Navy and is the lead trumpet player for the 7th Fleet Band stationed in Youkouska (spelling needed here!)Japan, for three years. When Daddy passed, Collin played taps at his funeral. This is the son that looks like my dad and walks like him. and thought the sun rose and set in him. How he managed to do it is beyond me.

I am 5'9" tall and am the lucky recipent of two 15' titanium rods and 20 screws in my back after back surgery that went awry. What started off as having three discs replaced ended up with a broken back that the staff got me up to walk with for a week because they didn't listen to me. Surgeon out of town so the fact that I was dragging my leg and the pain was off the chart didn't matter. When the surgeon came back into town and heard my tale of woe he turned a funny shade of pale, took an xray, found the broken back...and the rest as they say, is history. So I am now fused from T9-which is about mid shoulder blade to my sacrum. I don't bend but I do live with pain for the rest of my life. What a treat! Oh, and I set off alarms at airports. but not all airports. This has definetely put a crimp in my life! but I have such good posture now. snicker snicker..I keep my weight down because of the back surgery and the metal in there.

I am 3 years into a 4 year therapy program to see if I can regain full use of my left leg. I have a wonderful walker named Ella-you can get anything a la cart.(get it?) Ella and I go every where. If this walker got frequent flyer miles she would have a free ticket by now with all the trips I made home to Mom and Dad before they passed..I am a conneseur of nerve pain medicine and have a wonderful stoic face.Most of you wouldn't know how bad the pain is unless you can read winces in eyes. I've learned to control my reactions to the nerve pain and aches reaaaallllllllllllll goooodddd!

I am an EA to a Deputy Director who has four managers that work for him who have a total of 66 people under them. So, at the moment, I have 70 people that I support, which makes me very busy and most days I'm lucky to see the bathroom only in passing. Right now we are hiring like crazy and I can't keep up. I am the "floor mom" to the masses on top of being the corporate history for the oraganization. I adore my boss, and the feeling is mutual which is a great way to work. And he's gotten over the shock of seeing me lay on the floor to rest my back so we do well together.

DEB, I knew we were sisters. I was head chaperone for the HS band for two years while the boys were active. The kids loved being on our bus cause we were the best chaperones. I also sewed for the guard. From the flags to the plazzo pants to body suits to marrimbo covers..DH says my forehead flashes sucker in neon colors..... I adored that gig more than any others. but even volunteers have to retire from that! We also ran the concession stand for 7 years grossing 17K for 11 hours of work 1 Saturday a year when the band hosted a band cometition. Oh the agony and the pain......

I bake for recreation and for relaxation and for stress reduction.I bake for fun and to give away and to play and for oh-I don't know why. I guess cause my mother did. She taught me with love and pride. She ran 161 bakeries in 11 states and didn't start that career until after I went to college!

I enjoy crafts and hand stuff and sewing and being home. I'm bossy and have a temper that has taken years for me to learn to control. I have two dear, dear friends who I met when we moved to Virginia. Oh I guess I should have told you that I'm a military wife, Hubby is a 20 year career AF officer. We got duimped here in VA because he was stationed at the Pentagon as his last assignment of his career. We have lived alot of places that we don't want to go back to! LOL Isn't it funny that something that was the main focus of my life should enter in so far down in my explanation? We lived in Germany for three years-got our oldest son there from three bottles of wine! Spent time in AZ, TX, NC,FL,southern VA..moved every 3 years...I was responsible for nailing down our roots and up our pictures...Hubby was in the Pentagon the day before 9 11 and his office was hit....

My eyes are blue and my hair is auburn with golden highlight that help cover the silver brought on by meds..and oh- I'm only 24. Mom said she never regreted being pregnant with me 21 years ago and that was three years ago so that makes me 24, right? My oldest rolls his eyes and my youngest just argues with me... I'm actually let's see, I was born in Feb. of 1951, that 2008 take away 1951...that means I'm 57. right? What really bothers me is that my oldest is 30. How he got that old is beyond me...

I believe in angels and I know my parents are watching over the grandson. It's why daddy passed so soon after we found the AAA. He has kept that little one from falling waaay too many times already not to be there for him. Our DIL is fey and has smelled Mom's perfume in the nursery and has felt her brush by the crib. So I know they are close by. But dear Lord I miss them so much. I feel that if I can help just one of you stop chasing those bunnies, then my pain will not have been in vain.

Nice meeting you. I''m rather shy and retiring, in case you can't tell....

Last edited by ibake&pray; 10-15-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
(female)

flyingcuda72 HB User
Smile Re: Who are we?

hello all, i am new to the forum. it is nice to find a place to learn share and vent. i am 40 years old, i live in canada. my role on this lovely planet is...daughter, wife, mother, grandmother and now co-caregiver to my in-laws. my father in law showed signs of this nasty life robbing from all involved disease a few years ago, unfortunatly we all thought it was just age..he was self employed until about two years ago. he will be 87 in december. we only caught a clue last year...not sure if we were all in denial or just didnt know enough about it. i have a 22 year old daughter who will be making me a granny for the third time in a couple of months. i also have three children at home still....12,10 and 9. we moved my in laws in last year. what a ride it has been!!! i wont go into any of the stories just yet...maybe i'll do it in spurts. it shames me to say that i am only now getting back to the caring, understanding and tolerant kind human being i used to be. it has been a very hard ordeal to walk through. i felt like the situation was robbing me of my family... i had to spend too much time and energy on dad in law and wasn't able to be the full time mom to my kids. but somehow along the way i realised that this was an opportunity for me to show my kids the valuable traits that would make them be better adults..such as patience, understanding, a strong sence of family and so much more. they will see that you don't just walk away from family when things get unbearable. i know there will come a time when we will have hit the point where we will not be equipped physically to be able to provide the best care for him, so until that time comes we will continue to strive for those happy moments that appear after so many bad ones. unfortunatly i did not choose this life...it chose me, i don't know if i will ever hit the point where i will not complain or whine about it but i can certainly aim for it. the thing that does get me through the rough times is remembering that this has to be 100 times harder for my husband and his mom. to all of you who have been chosen for this task and feel that you are not strong enough...remember you were chosen for a reason to take care of and be given the few precious moments of these souls lives. there may not be a plaque or heros welcome at the end...but i have to believe that the heart is much stronger than we can ever understand, and that these once loving caring parents who would stop at nothing to protect and raise us, will know it in their hearts, and when they move on to the next journey, they will have that as their power to move on. wow..it's amazing..kinda like shopping...you only meant to pick up a few things but leave with a cart full! i only meant to say a few words. be kind to yourselves and remember...you are filling someone's heart!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

OK ladies here I go.
I've been married for 42 years. We got married while I was still in high school. My sweetie was headed to Viet Nam and so of course being young and in love we got married. Can't imagine how Mom let me do that?? Different times then. We lived in California until my hubbys time was up. He was and still is a Marine. You know the saying, Once a Marine, always a Marine. Anyway we came back home. Just across the river from St. Louis. We live "on the bluffs". as its called. Our first son passed soon after birth. We have a son who is 39 and our daughter is 35. Can't believe that time has passed so quickly. Good kids. If I do say so myself. ......Three grandbabies that we completely adore. We are still in love. Don't ask me how we survived being married so young? Hard work and patience. So if you do the math I'm 59 and holding.....
I have two sisters that I'm very close to. Of course my Mom. Lots of neices and nephews. We are a close family. I've been a caregiver most of my adult life. We owned a day care. Sold it. We owned alot of rental houses and apartments. Sold them. My back is shot and I'm tired of working too hard. My hubby is taking an early retirement in December. He has earned his rest. I loved to "flip houses". Loved to do all of the old woodwork. Can't do that any longer.
We have a lake house that we escape to whenever possible. My sisters and 4 of our friends have places there also. Good times. We've had it for 20 years. We took our motorcycle there. No more. We now have a golf cart. I loved our sea-doo. No more. Now I love our pontoon. Are you getting the picture?? We just look at each other and laugh. Our husbands actually race golf carts now.......how sad. LOL
I love to read. I love to crochet. I can no longer work in the yard with my flowers. Like I said my back is shot. I'm 5'3" and I'd love to lose 10 pounds. Green eyes, brown hair (golden highlights) to hide my gray of course. I'm soft hearted, good daughter, wife, mother, sister, friend and last but not least I'm a good grandma.
Mom raised us by herself so we didn't have much. She went without to give to us. I think thats why I appreciate what I have now. We built our home here and we love it. We finished our basement two years ago and thats where all of the family gatherings are held. Now why did I do that??? Just kidding. Christmas is huge. I love that time of year.
I could go on and on. But thats me ladies. So far at least.
Love to all, I love this thread.
Chris

Last edited by DrewsG; 10-15-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Ladies,
I just wanted to say how much I am so much enjoying reading this thread.
Lil Deb....thanks so much for starting this. I have been talking with you ladies for a long time now.....and really feel now I know so much more about you all. This thread is like a good book....every time one of you posts...I cant wait to read your story. In doing so, in all you've all gone through, I see what makes you the wonderful women you are today!!! I think I will come back to this thread often and reread it.....

I am so blessed to have met you all.....

Love, Caroline

P.S. FlyingCuda - welcome to this wonderful board.....hope you will post often!

Last edited by mary09; 10-15-2008 at 03:50 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mary09:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to mary09 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I cannot believe how terrific this is. To KNOW you all is so enriching! It seems a lot of us are about the same age, too. That doesn't surprise me especially - we are the sandwich generation, after all. We have kids, grandkids, some of us have late-in-life children, and aging parents.

It says a lot about every one of us that we are immersed in this quest to "raise" our demented parents, or care for loved ones. It isn't like we didn't have enough to do...it's just that God saw fit for us to do the job. Sometimes, I wish He didn't trust me so much...

I have told you all a lot about myself, mostly in bits and pieces. Of course, I left a lot out. It feels safe here, though, and when the not-so-pretty parts come oozing out (yes, I am on my third marraige, but this one is forever, I believe - how is it I am the caregiver for my father when he never really gave a damn about me when he was in his right mind - why does my brother get to skip out on this whole process, why do I lie to myself and tell myself that my DH understands when he clearly does not - etc), I feel like I am among kindred spirits. I read what you all have been through (Martha, I am talking to you), how many of us have lost children, how many of us have had such hard times, young marraiges, raised kids alone, been unloved, and I am amazed that there is enough of us left to do this job.

It's cheap therapy here. And I have never in my whole life met a bunch of people that make me feel more accepted, more cared about, more understood than you amazing ladies. And somehow, seeing the fins, feathers and fangs make it all the more wonderful.

I love you all...

...lil' deb

The following user gives a hug of support to skimps46:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to skimps46 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
(female)

quetzalmom HB User

I am a 51 year-old flower farmer. I used to write code for submarines, but the Russians quit and I adopted a special needs child. I had three other children, one is 26 and has two children with a sociopath who often does not let them spend time with our extended family. Two of the total four children are at play in the fields of the Lord. I've been married for 26 years to a great guy with a weird job that frequently calls him away. I am my mom's only relative, other than sisters on the other side of the country. Mom may or may not have dementia, but short term memory is gone. She was always somewhat shallow, now we add the insanity dimension. Sometime I have to wander about town with the crazy child and the crazy Mom. I love them both, but I get tired. I can't believe I used to have time to work. I love church, sewing, cooking, and reading. I drink chardonnay, cook with a lot of butter, and annoy local government on a regular basis. I'm here because I've had a great experience with online support when I was pregnant with a child with a rare heart defect. Like someone said, cheap therapy. It's also very effective therapy, as we find that folks from very different backgrounds have the same concerns, desires, and sometimes pain. I also appreciate the fact that we are all average, normal, everyday folks, and each in their own way quietly extraordinary. Love to all,
Q

The following user gives a hug of support to quetzalmom:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to quetzalmom For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Quietly extrodinary...I like that. Not that I have ever been called quiet...You know the saying God never give you more than you can handle? Sometimes I do think he over estimates our abilitythough.either that or he must have me mixed up with someone else. <<<shaking my head>>>. My hubby is having lunch with the #2 child who isn't talking to me this week...this is the one who is closest to me in temperment so we butt heads the most. I once told him if he would have been my first not only would have been my last, he wouldn't have made it to his first birthday! Although I adore him, he is on my least favored child list.

I am humbled to be part of this brilliant group of women. We each sparkle with our own color of light. When blended together we fuse into a beam of white hot color that shears off into beams of brilliant hope and help to those who need it most. Press on dear ladies. Hold tight to those towels....

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

I am humbled to be part of this brilliant group of women. We each sparkle with our own color of light. When blended together we fuse into a beam of white hot color that shears off into beams of brilliant hope and help to those who need it most. Press on dear ladies. Hold tight to those towels....[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Now you see there ibake this is why I missed you sooooo much. Your humor and your beautiful writing. I envy you. I know how special we women can be when we are called on to be caregivers. I've been doing this for about 25 years starting with Grandpa. Then Gram for years and now Mom for the last 18 years. All the while raising my children, making a home, working myself too hard until I'm worn out and trying not to forget about my husband. Now my grandbabies. Just like all of you have been doing. We really are brilliant beams of hope. Aren't we?? Mom said once "Its sad when no one needs you". I try to remember those words.
I'm holding on tight to those towels. I've just finished my 4th phone call from Mom who can't figure out where she is yet again. I'll be there all day tomorrow. Today is Drews birthday. Family dinner and party for Drew. And "yes " ladies I'm actually cooking. LOL Today I'm staying HOME.
Love to all,
Chris
Sorry Lil' deb. I should have posted this somewhere else. This is for introductions. Or not? Whatever, my meal is burning.................

OK, I saved the roast. Thank God. I must pay more attention. Mom has me all befuddled today. Is that a word? I don't know anymore.
Bye again.

Last edited by DrewsG; 10-16-2008 at 12:04 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to DrewsG:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to DrewsG For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread