It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
One Hundred

This is a sad and nostalgic day for me. My mother would have been 100 years old if she had lived just 9 months longer.

Yet, she was so very ready to go. Her quality of life had deteriorated, she had no joy in life, no memory, confined to a wheelchair. It was time, it was good. And yet I am thinking of her today - in between reports from my son in law about my daugher's condition (he took off today and tomorrow so I am not needed to stay there as planned, not until Friday.)

Mom was born on this date in 1908 -- just think, it was a totally different world back then. No cars, no phones, no airplanes, no pre packaged foods. They were dirt poor farm workers in Germany, lived practically on potatoes alone. Mom was the first child of an unwed mother, a scandal in those days. Later my grandmother married and had 3 more kids, but my Mom was always looked down on as 'illegitimate.'

Yet, she emigrated to America, learned English, got jobs, supported herself and helped her mother and siblings to get here, married and had 3 children, all of us graduated from college. At 67 she retired (worked for the NYC police dept as a school crossing guard) and went to college herself and got a bachelor's degree. She learned to drive at 69 after my father died.

Indomitable spirit, good hearted, loving, caring, sharp, active, swam until she was 97, took care of her great granddaughter when her granddaughter was sick. A wonderful woman, my role model.

I will remember her this way, not the way she was in those last few years.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 10-22-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: One Hundred

Thank you Martha, for sharing an insight into what an amazing lady your Mother was. One of her crowning achievements was you and your brother. Remeber her today.... remember the good that was in her and the wonderful things she accomplished. Remember your feather and that she is watching over you. Remember and feel her love surround you....

You will be in my thoughts and prayers today...

Love, deb

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Dear Martha,
You had a wonderful, caring, giving mom! And she apparently passed that on to you!

I hope you will make the anniversary of her birth each year a day to celebrate her. Have a few ladies over for lunch (when we first moved here and I knew only a few people, I had a lunch for my birthday. I was the only one who knew it was my birthday, but it was so much fun. It was my little secret reason for the lunch. Sounds weird, I know, but I'm not one to announce that others should congratulate me), or plan that day for a visit to one of your children who knew her and will celebrate with you. Set that day aside for something special, even if you do it alone. Maybe go someplace or watch a movie that you and she shared in the past. She sounds like a woman who is well worth remembering and celebrating for a long time to come!

I hope you aren't too sad. I know you miss your dear mom. The Lord bless you today.

Love, Emily

Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Dear Martha, Happy 100th to Mom. I say happy because she no longer is in pain or confused. What an amazing lady. You have her spirit. As long as there is someone to remember our loved ones they are never completely gone.
She really did have an amazing life. Didn't she? Wow, what a lady.
Bless your heart. I know you miss her. One thing about you Martha, no regrets, you were a very good daughter. She deserved that blessing, she had you to love her.
Love to you,
Chris

Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MARTHA"S MOM! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MARTHA'S MOM! I hope you live your life as long as hers, just not burden with the horror of hers......we love you just like you are!

Closed Thread