HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alzheimers-disease-dementia/)
-   -   Good news :-) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alzheimers-disease-dementia/643753-good-news.html)

brokenhearted2 10-22-2008 06:22 PM

Good news :-)

Just wanted to let everyone know that my mom is doing great since she has returned home from 2 months in rehab after suffering from a broken hip. We can't believe it! In rehab, we were having to feed her, she was wearing a catheter, she was mostly in a wheelchair, she was very moody (we thought due to ritalin the rehab put her on), and we were not sure that my Dad was going to be able to handle her. She has been home about 3 weeks now and she is feeding herself (she is eating 3 meals a day, but still sort of picking), the catheter is out and she is using the bathroom (mostly by herself-we walk her there, but the rest is her). She is walking up and down stairs (assisted) and has even gone out to restaurants to eat and out for visits to relatives!!!
Her primary care has taken her off ritalin. Her moods are calm. She is doing wonderful.....well, as wonderful as can be expected, with her mind only half there.
Just thought I would share the good news. So far, so good!! Only issue is that she has only gained back 1 lb. out of the 12 she lost in rehab.
After 2 months of major stress, I feel like I have a bit of a reprieve...and so does my Dad.....so although it may not last...we can take a breathe.
Have a good nite and for all those who may not be having an easy time tonight....you are in my prayers.

BlueAtlas 10-22-2008 06:53 PM

Re: Good news :-)

Wow, that's just wonderful! I'm so glad for you! Enjoy this reprieve. And who knows? It may last longer than you expect.

:) Emily

Gabriel 10-22-2008 06:58 PM

I am so very happy for you Broken. That is amazing and wonderful news. I do hope it stays that way for you, your Mom, and your Dad. Enjoy the good times and don't look back.... only forward to better days :) Thanks for giving us some good news today!

Love, deb

sunnydaze1 10-22-2008 07:54 PM

That's wonderful news! You're mom is so lucky to have you and your Dad to watch over her. Hope things settle down soon and life gets back to somewhat normal for you.

DrewsG 10-22-2008 08:31 PM

That is amazing. I've heard of only a few people coming back this well after a broken hip. You are so blessed. I'm so glad for you and your parents. I hope this lasts for a very long time. Now take a well deserved good rest. :)
Chris

Martha H 10-22-2008 08:46 PM

This is wonderful news. My Mom never recovered from her broken hip and never got back home. Directly from rehab into nursing home. Never walked again, never was continent again, lost more and more memory and enjoyment of life.

Wow, this is great news. Everyone says that a broken hip is a death sentence, but they are wrong!

Love,

Martha

ibake&pray 10-23-2008 08:25 AM

[COLOR="Navy"]What good news! I hope that she can regain some more weight. She has really made great strides...That is more improvement than alot of people make. She will be in our prayers....I hope she continues to improve......

Now you can take a small break too!:)[/COLOR]

Gabriel 10-23-2008 12:49 PM

BTW Broken, if she's gained a pound and she's eating well then don't worry. The weight will come back. A pound a week is a realistic goal. Two is wonderful. So give it six week before you worry and see what happens. Watch her appetite rather than the scales for a while and give her nutritious high calorie foods both at meals and snacks. Again.... I am go happy for you and your Dad that she has bounced back so well.....

Love, deb

jagsmu 10-23-2008 01:33 PM

its amazing how little things that happen in our loved ones make us sooooo happy, with me it was after my mom lost 40 lbs and showed no signs of wanting to eat, she then for some reason beyond us started eating peanut butter by the spoonfulls, and slowly the weight came back, not all of it but at least she stays around 110 now for the last 4 or 5 months,,, she used to be 140 for years and years... I about cryed the first time she stood on the scale and she had gained a pound. I would have cryed but it would have upset her....congrats on the upward swing, may it last for awhile..

judy

Gabriel 10-23-2008 03:31 PM

And I have the opposite problem. The food where Mom and Dad are is excellent plus snacks in the room.... and my Mom has gained about 25 pounds in the last year. She doesn't understand why her clothes don't fit any more lol. Dad has gone from a 36 to a tight 38 pants. Some dementia patients forget to eat.... my Dad forget to stop eating. We laugh about his "full button" being broken. I know my day is coming so I am soaking up all that is said :)

Love, deb

brokenhearted2 10-23-2008 07:09 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing w/ me re. my mom! I think I have even gained some weight because I tend to suck down the fat foods when she leaves it behind. We are feeding her some delicious "high" calorie foods. I guess everyone is right...a lb. is a good way to start.
I am feeling so much more relaxed myself. Just hoping it lasts for a bit. I thought my dark circles would be on my face forever. (well, they are still there, but fading some)
Thanks for all the kind words....you are all in my thoughts.

brokenhearted2 10-24-2008 04:37 PM

Spoke to soon. Mom fell out of bed last nite(even with the guard rails up). I got the call at 10 pm. Dad called 911. I rushed to the hospital and after several hours and after all the x-rays and cat-scans.....no damage except a dime-size avulsion to the back of her head. Thank goodness. How scary!!!! AND......this morning....she doesn't remember a thing. :-)
How can one stop a fall like that....slid right out the edge ...between the top and the guard rail. ugh! I think she needs to be put in a bubble world. :-)

Gabriel 10-24-2008 05:16 PM

Broken I am truly sorry that your Mom fell yet pleased that she was not hurt.

That's why I am not a great fan of guard rails for anybody that is ambulatory and able to get out of bed..... with out some kind of soft restraint system. You need some sort of alarm system that will let Dad know when she is out of bed rather than trying to keep her in bed. There are bed alarms that signals when she gets out of bed and laser/light type burgler alarms that signals when she is moving around the room. A large set of wind chimes in the door way would alert him to her leaving the room.

I am truly glad that your Mom was not hurt but I know it made a long night for all of you. I hope she rebounds from this latest set back and continues to do well......

Love, deb

ibake&pray 10-24-2008 06:18 PM

[COLOR="Navy"]Broken,

Thank heavens for small blessings. When Mom was in the locked unit, they had foam rectangular covered pieces that they placed under the sheets that formed a "nest" that did nothing except make it more difficult for the patient to get out of bed. Then they also had like kindergarten mats that they put on the floor so that if they did get out of the cocoon, and happened to stumble and fall, there was a matt for them to fall onto.

You might want to look into those foam tubes. They would help your mom stay in one place enough that you could get some rest. Oh, the other thing that the home had was an alarm that when the unit was pulled out of the base it went off. One end was clipped onto her garment, and the other end slid into a slot on the machine that braced either on the bed or the wheelchair. They are designed to keep the elderly in their seats. noisy as all get out, but it might help you keep track of her at night-and it can be set loud enough to wake the dead....

Good luck...and we'll be praying for her and you...[/COLOR]

brokenhearted2 10-24-2008 07:31 PM

Sooooo.....you all think that the guard rails are wrong to have on the bed and that it is better for her to be able to get up????????? She is very mobile! It makes sense. She squeezed herself between the rail and the top of the bed. If she just got out...she probably wouldn't have fallen. It was the nurse and PT or OT that suggested or demanded upon leaving rehab that we had that bed (hospital) in the room.
My dad is looking into an alarm tomorrow a.m. She had that in rehab. Also a baby monitor system so he could hear movement if he is awake which he was last nite.
Every thing seems like a learning experience, but somethings we learn too late. Any suggestions or help ...please give. When you were talking about the pads to make it harder to get out of bed....where would we get that? And, just a mat around the bed?? Has to be sort of firm, right? in case she does get out and starts to walk. She is a very determined lady, so if her mind says go....she is going, I think.