It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
my dad had an appendex attack

so this morning it started out quite and it looked like a good day to read a book, the phone rang at 10 oclock and my dad says he thinks he is having an appendex attack, could I get over there to look after my mom while he goes to the hospital.........omg I am now telling my dad to call 911, and as I am talking I am throwing on cloths, of sorts, I am out the door, into my dingy and accross the bay, up the ramp and run to the packing lot and start the 15 minute drive to my parents... through two work zones, the flag people held up traffic to let me go, and when I got to my parents house the ambulance had just arrived... theres my dad sitting and bent over in pain and my mom is stressed right out.... off to the hospital we go and he is admitted right away, all the test were done from eeg's to god knows what else, meanwhile I am trying to ease my moms stress by telling everything that is going on, over and over and over..... at one point she got mad at me because she said that noone told her what was happening...2 hours went by and the doctor came out and said they were running all kinds of test and we should go home for a bit....so off for a bite to eat, back to the hospital for results and another 3 hour wait, finally we went home once more this was around 4.30 and a phone call from the hospital... my dad is calling for us to come get him ??????????????????????????? we get there and sure enough they have discharged him... I cornered his doctor and question this and he said that nothing showed up and the pain was gone and to bring him into the office tommorow...... so home we go.... now I sit here at my home waiting for the phone call that may come tonight to rush him back to the hospital..... anyone want to sit up with me... that was my day today....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Re: my dad had an appendex attack

jags, I'm sorry to be smiling here but I have had somewhat of an exact day. Not today but I've sure had similar ones. Parents...........they can sure be a handfull. Can't they? How could all of that pain be nothing? I'm sure your on pins and needles waiting for that phone to ring. I sure hope you can get some rest. Days or all nighters at the hospital can be exhausting.
Good Luck, I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best. I hope it turns out to be nothing with your Dad.
Chris

Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

That pain could be anything from something simple like gastroenteritis (basically a really bad stomach ach) to something intermittant that may or may not be back (like a slightly inflamed gall bladder or apendix). Hopefully it will not show up again.

I do understand the anxiety when a parent has a medical emergeny and it is compounded when the other parent doesn't understand what is happening.. I have been there done that and it makes for a LONG day or days. You probalby need to get some sleep. The phone will wake you. just sleep in your clothes. Youwill not do your Mom and Dad any good if you are exhausted.

I do hope whatever it was, was a one time deal and will turn out to be nothing major. Keep us informed..... and get somer rest!!!!

Love, deb

Old 10-23-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I hope you had an undisturbed night - it must have been frustrating for you to have to explain it over and over to your Mom and then be told ''no one tells me anything." Hope your Dad is fine this morning. It could have been just 'gas' or indigestion ...

Sounds like you live on an island ... wow.

When I used to babysit for my grandkids as young babies, my daughter always told me if there is an emergency call 911. They will get here faster and have the child treated on the way, far sooner than you can get them to the hospital. If this happens again, maybe you could call 911 for your dad and meet him at the hospital later. Getting yourself into an accident will help no one.

Love,

Martha

Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Oh dear, doesn't it suck having to be the adult?

I'm glad that your dad was sent home, but what a long day for you..and your mom...and Dad. Perhaps you need to keep a small bag packed for you take to your parents house with a change of clothes for you and your dop kit.

Then you should also have a bag to take along for your Mom that has a sweater and maybe some light snacks and things she might do. Anything that might keep her intersted in case this happens again. Plus a bottle of water-just in case.

Can you tell we have lived through these things?

Get some rest....you have earned it. and we hope your dad gets better!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Jags, I wish I had other words of wisdom, but these other ladies here are such pros! Every post I read makes me think, "oh, what great advice!" My only words of wisdom are that these other ladies have words of wisdom worth listening to.

I hope today will be a lovely day with your nose in a good book!

Emily

The following user gives a hug of support to BlueAtlas:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueAtlas For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

thank you ladies, and yes the night was uneventful, not much sleep but did not need to go anywhere.

no not an island, but a big boat is what we live on, on anchor in the middle of a beautiful bay called maple bay in BC Canada

as for the drive over to my parents house yesterday, I made myself follow a slow car just so that I would not speed, I tailgated but did not pass even though there was plenty of chances

Last edited by jagsmu; 10-23-2008 at 09:25 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to jagsmu:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to jagsmu For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Oh my goodness jags ........... I looked up your Maple Bay !!!!!!!! How absoutely beautiful. My husband and I are hoping one day to visit Canada and I'm always just "looking". We may never be able to go but I love to look at possibilities. How lucky are you lady to live in those beautiful surroundings?
It looks and sounds like heaven. Just wanted to say your home is beautiful.
Glad you had an uneventful night.
Chris

The following user gives a hug of support to DrewsG:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to DrewsG For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chris if you ever make it out this way consider this a stop, there is plenty of room here on this old boat for company.....

luyingjie (01-24-2012)
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

How is your Dad today Jags?

Boat... hum... I can feel myself getting seasick already. Can we visit on land?

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

I called my dad and he said he was okay, not right up to par but okay, his appointment for the docs, is at 11.30, I am not sure what they will look for but perhaps this is just a follow up. so things have calmed down. An yes I have packed a bag to grab with my things, that is an excellent idea and I do have cloths at my moms, but yesterday there didn't seem time for such things, so most of the day I spent without undies and bra less,) oh well who cares in this day and age.... not that I have anything to bouce around anyway.....

luyingjie (01-24-2012)
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have a great image of Jag in her wet suit sitting in the lobby. I do know how you feel Jags. The night Mom called me in total confusion telling me Dad had been admitted to the hospital with a stroke.... I grabbed a few things and thew them in a bad before I jumped in my car with a pair of sleep pants and a t-shirt on. I knew I had a 4 hour drive. When I arrived I flew into the hospital as I had jumped out of bed. Then I had to go shopping to fill in the necessities that were not in my bag. Underware.... I had NONE!!!! Not on or in my bag. Not even my sisters know this story so shhhhh!!!! I did manage to get on a bra... I have bouncy knee warmers

I am so glad your Dad is doing better today. I hope it stays that way!!!

Love, deb

luyingjie (01-24-2012)
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

well I am sure that the hospitals have seen a lot of strange things, good thing they didn't take you for one of their escaped patients..... I do think that the dress code for us caretakers can slip now and again and waist warmers and knee knockers should be an accepted style...but the pantie thing....................... just don't get hit by a bus and have to go to the hospital yourselve in this state of undress

luyingjie (01-24-2012)
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know I know I know.... Mom always told me to wear clean underware in case I was in an accident.... You have just made me laugh THANK YOU!!

Love, deb

luyingjie (01-24-2012)
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

YA, know we have some rules around here.... a thong at least ladies,..... harunmmmmmm

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread