It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Tooth problem

It is always something. Mom started complaing last weekend about her back tooth irritating her. She complained until sister 3 and 4 made her a dental appointment. The dentist found nothing. Mom threw a professional grade southern hissy fit because they paid that man for nothing. He was blind. Couldn't he see what was wrong with her tooth? Today she called Sister 4 complaining of that tooth again so Sister 3 and 4 took her to an oral surgeon today. This time they took x'rays and found.... NOTHING! Mom threw yet another professional grade southern hissy fit.....

What Mom is feeling is the metal edge of a cap she has had for years because her gums are slightly receded. Once she found it she can't leave it alone. According to Sister 3 she had a pair of scissors out when she arrived today trying to get that piece of metal out of her mouth. Now what do we do? She is ripping up her gum digging at the edge of her crown. That is why the gum was irritated when she went to the dentist. So far Sister 3 got some orthodonic wax and put it on the back of the tooth. A few minutes later Mom was chewing it.

So I called Mom. She was crying and upset about the tooth and the dentist/oral surgeon not finding anything when she knows something is there. I got that much from Sister 3. So when I called I started off by saying I had talked to Sister 3 and I was so excited that they had found out what she was feeling on her tooth. I explained about 10 times that it was the metal band at the bottom of her crown and the only way to eliminate that was to pull a perfectly good tooth... so she needed to keep her tongue busy. She admitted it never hurt, it just irritated her and then said she thought chewing the wax was helping. When I hung up Mom was actually laughing and ready for supper. So I am calling frequently to tell her to put more wax in her mouth. I think chewing the wax, for now, is keeping her tongue busy. I just hope it works until she forgets about that tooth.

Every day is something new and different.......

Oh yeah.... Sister 3 had bought Mom and Dad a plush pumpkin to go outside their door with halloween treats in it. Evidently in Mom's tooth frustration she was on the phone with sister 4. At some point she laid down the phone without hanging it up and nobody could call her. Sister 3 arrived to check out the tooth. The door was locked. When that happens we usually call and tell Mom to open the door. Sister 3 called.... and the phone rang.... you got it.... it was in the pumpkin outside of the door. Guess they were trick or phoning LOL

Love, deb

Last edited by Gabriel; 10-23-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Tooth problem

No scissors! No nail clippers. No sharp objects any kind. No matches, no candles. Think of a 2 or 3 year old ... all such things must be kept out of her reach. She could do serious damage with a scissors poking around in her mouth. Oh what a monumental pain this disease is. How about chewing gum?

M

Old 10-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Ouch!!!!!! Now that sounds painful. Its always something.............your right. Just when you start to breath a little easy.....your on the roller coaster again. Mom has dentures so a sore tooth is never a problem....thank God.
Gram use to have hissy fits. Mom doesn't have them too bad so far. Geez maybe I shouldn't have said that??
The phone thing is a hoot. Mom keeps trying to use her phone as her remote. She will call and say her TV isn't working, I'll explain, then I hear her "push buttons" on the phone.. beep beep.
Good Luck with your Mom and her tooth.
Love Chris

Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
(female)

gemini1961 HB User

I remember my ex-charge, standing on the arm of the lounge, belting the air conditioner with the TV remote. She was SO frustrated .. she knew these little gadets changed things and turned them on and off, but, and I tend to agree with her .. THERE'S SO DAMN MANY !! Her husband, my other ex-charge didn't believe in universal remotes, and she couldn't have learnt a new one anyway.

Cordless telephone found in washing machine.
Cordless telephone thrown at TV.
TV remote found in washing machine
TV remote thrown at air conditioner
Electric Fan remote found in freezer
Electric Fan remote thrown (period .. just thrown)
VCR remote ... hidden
DVD remote ... hidden

I never did figure out why she felt these gadgets had to go into the washing machine LOL

Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Martha, all the sharp objects were removed the night Dad tried to cut his wander bracelet off and cut his arm. When they removed his bracelet... Yes, Sister 4 took that stuff back. Dad clipped his fingernails repeatedly while I was there until they bleed. I removed the nail clippers. I guess I will clean out again when I go back...

I have listened to Mom do the same thing Chris. Tell her to push channel 5 on the TV remote and you hear the phone beep and her frustration because it didn't change the TV channel. She regularly forgets to turn off the phone but Dad always remembers to put it back on the cradle which turns it off. Both the TV remote and the phone have been lost, hidden, and thrown. At least with the new set up at AL they only have one remote and don't constantly call the cable company because they have messed up the setting now.

Gemini, you made me laugh. Only on planet ALZ do remotes connect to washing machines.

Love, deb

Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

AFter finding Dad's remote in the freezer, along with the hearing aides.....my cousin finally figured out how to fix the problem.

She found a bungee cord. Hot glued it to the remote and then she made a loop on the other end and sewed it to the arm of the recliner that daddy sat in. TaDA!!! It actually worked. Daddy never managed to get that remote off of the cord and it stayed in place and he could watch tv again! what a relief!

Now if we only could have kept track of his hearing aids! They were so cold when we found them in the freezer.....

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

And the tooth saga continues. After the trip to the oral surgeon on Thursday Mom seemed satisfied with the explination for what she was feeling in her mouth. We kept reinforcing it was just the natural edge of the cap and it was ok. She was in a good mood during and after my daughter's visit yesterday and never mentioned the tooth.

She just called Sister 3 to tell her that the med tech had looked in her mouth and her tooth was broken. We are trying to get in touch with the med tech to see if it really is broken or if she just told her that to appease her.

If the tooth is broken.... It is most definitely because Mom has "worked on it".

So who weighs in on just pulling the tooth?!?!?! It is a perfectly good tooth with $1600 worth of root canal and cap but it's driving her to distraction. What to do?

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Oh cripes....

Has sistser #4 been over there? Is this a tooth she needs for chewing? I can't remember. IF you pull it, you will need to get to an oral surgeon to have the entire root removed (just had that done) and that's not a great deal of fun and games either. Then wat are going to do? Have a bridge made for that tooth? Or let her go without a tooth? Puree all her food and just chuck it? smack sister 4?

When Mom lost the tooth for her bridge we had to get it replaced to the tune of $1200 as she kep going to the front desk and asking them what they did with her tooth. It worried her immensly and the staff said that she was at them day in and out about where they had put her tooth... for all I know she probably swallowed it...and no, nobody looked through the poo to see if it was there. Who knows when it left her mouth...They help brush but guess they weren't paying too close attention...

I imagine you are going to have to deal with this as it will not go away with your Mom. She is going to go on and on with it. I know Mom didn't give up and she was far more "gone" than your Mother is... So who is taking her to the dentist tomorrow? #4 i bet...

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

And is she likely to work and work her tongue at the hole left by removal and end up getting it infected? Is there any way they could work some substance in around the edges of the cap to smooth them so she won't feel the need to play with it? If you explain the situation to the dentist, maybe he'd be willing to do something out of the ordinary like that.

I hope you can get this dealt with so you can be ready to deal with the next thing!

Emily

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 10-26-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Sometimes I don't make sense even to me!

The following user gives a hug of support to BlueAtlas:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueAtlas For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

No... sister 4 has not been over there. Mom called Sister 3. According to Mom sister 4 wasn't doing anything about it. In her behalf.. she did take her to the dentist Monday and oral sugeon thursday. For a week I have been told it was a back molar with a cap but tonight Mom tells me it is something between her canine and first molar that is metal, round, just smaller than a pencil lead, that is sticking out of her gum at the back of her tooth and is cutting her tongue. So yes.. it is a rather important tooth. As long as I thought it was a back molar I was all for pulling it. Mom and Dad have both had successful extractions in the last few months. Now I don't even know WHICH tooth it is.

I ask Mom if she had worked on the tooth and maybe her gum was just irritated. She said she had done nothing to the tooth. Later I ask her if she had tried to get "IT" out. She told me she tried to push "IT" out from the front but it didn't come out and that she had tried to grab "IT". She couldn't remember what she had used to do those things. So who knows what she has done..

Sister 3 did talk to the med tech and the tooth is not broken and she can't find anything sticking out. She didn't tell her it was broken. I also found out that Mom had been to wellness demanding to see a doctor. They checked it there and found nothing. But she was not happy because there is no doctor there on Sunday night and they are idiots because they didn't find anything.

Sister 3 stopped e-mailing after I ask if the canine or first molar had a cap and Sister 4 announced that she would wait to see if Mom to call in the morning before she did anything.....

Emily.... the oral surgeon did a little fliling on the tooth but really can't find anything even close to what she describes. He also did a panoramic x-ray of her entire mouth and found nothing. He did the little bit of filing to apease her.

I will call again in the morning.... You are right Emily.... as soon as this is over it will be something else

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pull them all, give her dentures and get it over with!Your mom is OC and it wll be one thing after another. She will move on to something else. Next it wll be a cracked finger nail, then the toes, then her hair, then glasses....and the list goes on and the list goes on...drums keep poundin a rhythm to the brain...ladie ladiela ladielaaaa...

Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
(male)

scottyboy10 HB User

try jim humbles MMS. it works miracles on the teeth. read te questions section on miracle mineral . org all is answered on there.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

My sister ask my Mom, "How's your tooth?" My Mom answered, "I had something wrong with my tooth?" The dentist drilled on a small place that might have been noticeable and miracles upon miracles..... it's all gone away.

I did take Mom Sunday, first to her church and then to my Great Aunt's party and she had a marvelous time. I had an especially good day with her. I am truly glad I had this time with her.

I did stay with Sister 4. I was gracious and it passed with out harsh words. Sister 2 did come today and both sister 3 and 4 were cool to her but not harsh. I did suggest we all go out ot eat after the lawyer meeting, which went well, and I perhaps saw a slight thawing.... or maybe I just wanted to see it. Time will tell and I will keep trying but in a new way. I'm not bowing to the drama and no begging.... meet me half way

Love, deb

Closed Thread