It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User
Mom in Hospital

Hi Everyone
Just alittle update on mom since her fall a week ago. After the fall she was checked out the next day by her PCP and he said she was ok. Well, it turns out a couple days after she started to have very bad chills, shaking and lots of confusion and very low blood pressure. Then her Diabetic foot the one that has given her lots of problems opened up was all red and hot to the touch. So off to the Pcp he said she has a bad infection. Told us to get her admitted in the hospital asap. That was Tuesday night. Yesterday was a very bad for day for her. She was moved to ICU last night while I was there. She was in congestive heart failure, septic and kidney's were shutting down. I sat with her most of the night till they finally gave her a morphine injection and that helped calm her. I finally left and went home only to lay awake all night waiting for the phone to ring. When I finally did fall asleep and wake up and realized the phone never rang I felt a little relieved that she must be doing ok. Dad and I headed in first thing this morning to the hospital . Found her sitting up in bed and doing much better they have her stable.
They are working like crazy to get the infection under control two antibiotic Iv's. When I left tonight she was still holding her own. She has been through an awful lot I hope she has the strentgh to pull through this.
Tonight I should sleep better then I did last night knowing she is doing somewhat better. I will keep you all posted.

Love Pauline

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Mom in Hospital

Please do keep us posted Pauline. I am so sorry to hear that she has had such a difficult time but glad they have her stabilized and that she is doing better. I am sure you need some rest. Take care of yourself so you can take care of her. I will keep you, your Mom and Dad in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, deb

Old 10-24-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I'm so sorry Pauline. I hope she is much better today.

Love,

Martha

Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Sorry to hear about your Mom. When the elderly have an infection they can go downhll very fast. Sounds like you caught this one in time. I know how hard sleeping can be when your waiting for the phone to ring.
Glad she is improving. Get some rest.
Chris

Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

Janie5301 HB User

Pauline,
I will keep you and your Mom in my prayers today...

Love Janie

Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

looking for an update on your mom this morning.. prayers coming your way that she is feeling much better

The following user gives a hug of support to jagsmu:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to jagsmu For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom is doing much better. The infection is getting better. The Chf is stable. The only concern they have is that her Kidneys are not functioning the way they should. They are hoping once the infections completely clears they will start functioning better. Being diabetic Kidney failure is always a concern. I am just so thankful she pulled out of this. Not sure how this will effect her level of confusion and the dementia. Right now she is so tired that its not clear to what degree this could of set her back.
I thank you all for your warm wishes and prayers they must of helped!!!

Love Pauline

The following user gives a hug of support to polina:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to polina For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am truly glad your Mom is doing better. I hope her recovery continues and her kidneys respond. You will know the cognitive set back, if any, soon enough. Right now rejoice in the fact that she is fighting back. I will continue to keep her, and you, in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Deb now that mom is out of the dark and doing better dad is feeling better too. He was very worried. He is also getting a little break from the day to day caregiving. He knows she is getting good care where she is so his mind can rest as well. Tomorrow morning he is going out to breakfast with my brother and his son (dad's Grandson). He is home for the weekend from college. This will be good for him to get out and have a little down time with others.

Love Pauline

The following user gives a hug of support to polina:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to polina For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Pauline,

Glad to hear that your Mom is doing better. The hospital is always such a scary place for AZ patients...and us too! And I'm glad that your Dad is getting a break. It's such a relief for them, as they know that they can take a break and know that care is being given and they don't need to rush right back to check.

We are praying that your Mom continues to climb right back out of the pit and her kidneys respond well.

Hand in there, there is little you can do except smile and pray! Hold onto the towel, we made sure it was a hospital one, that's why it's white-they don't do well with the colored ones, right Deb? Hold tight, we've got the other end so you won't fall...

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
(female)

brokenhearted2 HB User

Hospitals are so draining for everyone and so confusing for the AZ patient. My thoughts are with you. I just went thru 3 months of that. I hope your mom continues to improve.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

There is a silver lining in ever dark cloud Pauline I am so glad that your Dad is getting the break he needs.... and you as well. I hope he has a good breakfast with his son and grandson. He will enjoy every minute of it not having to worry about your Mom for an hour or so. In the mean time... you do something for yourself as well. I hope that your Mom continues to improve.

Love, deb

Closed Thread