It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User
Yet ANOTHER question...

Ok, y'all. Let me begin by saying that I swear this has been answered before, but because it did not apply to my situation, I did not take the info, fold it into an origami swan and put it in my pocket. I should have, so I apologize if this is redundant.

Dad has no apparent "appestat". He does not know what "hungry" is. He does not know what "full" is. Case in point: I fed him his usual Cheerios, milk, juice and coffee for breakfast. Two hours later, he ate a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, 6 chicken nuggets, an order of fries and a cup of chili with a Coke for lunch. Geez. That's a lot. Then at 4:30, he ate 2 Chalupas (tacos made with a fried flour shell - they are huge - I eat one of them) and about 1/4 of a Cinnabon Apple Pie with about 1/2 c of vanilla ice cream, a root beer and a cup of coffee. That is a LOT of food! This is why his weight is holding steady, but...

Yesterday, I made him an apple salad. It's a family recipe consisting of 6 peeled, cored, diced apples, 3 bananas sliced, about 2 c of mini marshmallows, a 1/2 c of black walnuts and about 2 c of whipped cream - all mixed up together. He used to eat that back on the farm when he was a kid, and my mom made it for him, so I have continued the legacy of the Apple Salad. It's a real favorite of his. And let me tell you - it is deLISH! Anyway, this makes a HUGE bowl full of salad. Ladies, he ate the ENTIRE THING between breakfast and lunch today! Clearly, I cannot give him any more than a serving at a time.

It makes me nervous. Seeing as how he will clearly eat all I put before him, should I not wait for him to signal he is satiated? If I get enough to eat, I know it, and do not keep eating. He apparently does not have that signaling working anymore.

Do I feed him a ton of food because he'll eat it? Or regulate it some? It seems like a dumb question, but he still enjoys food, and says, "MMMMMM" when he bites into something quite delicious. I hate to deprive him of the only thing that brings him pleasure, and his weight is still low (5'8", 145#)...

What to do?

...lil' deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Yet ANOTHER question...

[COLOR="Navy"]Lil Deb,

as long as his weight is holding steady, he's healthy, his poo is good, and you can leave well enough alone....leave well enough alone. He is lucky enough to still have the metabolism of a young man. Don't we all wish that we did?

My Daddy still had that same metabolism until the day that he died. He was 6'1" and maintained his weight at about 185-190. When he put on a couple of pounds, he would say, "Oh, my skin is tight.." and rub his tummy. Stop eating cookies with his tea, and within two or three days the five pounds was gone. GRRRRRRR. I did NOT inherit that from my father... My oldest son, who is the spitting image of Dad also has that metabolism..GRRRRRRRR in fact it is even set a little faster on Collin. He is 6'2" and he sits at 136 lbs. And yes, He eats like a garbage disposal that is stuck on...

But what you are going to dofor Daddy, is to put the full plate in front of him, knowing that it is sufficient for him, and when it is gone, it is gone. DO NOT keep filling it up just to see if he will throw up...or burst, or clean out the fridge! You are not feeding him just because it is his only pleasure left in life...yeah I can see those wheels running in your head and it's warped track they're on dear! You need to consider his health first, not his "only enjoyment in life". dear lil deb...Go to bed. You need to consider this when you aren't tired because you let your emotions override your good sense! I love you dear...now take care of Daddy the healthy, right way.

And we used to add coconut to the apple salad! and sometimes raisins. And it is good! I can eat the whole thing myself. BUT you could make it with coolwhip and save a whole lot of calories for him that he doesn't need! If you toast the nuts it really brings out the flavor too![COLOR]

Last edited by ibake&pray; 10-24-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I'm with IBake little deb. My Dad has the same problem. He forgets he has eaten and just keep eating. We have declared his "full button" broken. When he was at home, he would eat a full breakfast, then he would be back in the kitchen before the dishes were cleaned getting himself a bowl of cereal. Then he would head for the ice cream. He eats almost anything you put in front of him. In AL he gets his three meals, drops by the bistro and picks up bananas or muffins, goes back to his room and eats ice cream, and supplements it out of the candy or cookie jar. If he sees food.... to goes in his mouth.

Be glad your Dad is eating. So many get to be picky eaters and don't have an appetite. So what you have to do is put in front of him what he needs to eat. Hefty portions are ok but not rediculous amounts. Instead of taking the entire apple salad to him... just take him a gracious portion. Then take him more later. If he wants to eat often then reduce the portion sizes and give him half now and half later. You are in control

FYI.... I make apple salad with apples, pecans, and raisins with mayo. I will have to try your variations...

Love, deb

Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

At this point I see no reason why not just give him whatever you/he wants... as you know this phase will also pass so might as well see his enjoyment for awhile longer...as long as his weight doesn't become an issue but if he begins to gain then I would decrease it a little. Although he ate all that salad it was over a period of time if I read it right. I am sorry you have to deal with any of this so if the food isn't compromising his health then enjoy his enjoyment. take care of yourself.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
(female)

gemini1961 HB User

When my ex-charge decided to eat and be unsatiable we figured her eating switch had stuck onto the on position.

A professional in Dementia likened it to a baby bird. They will eat, and eat and eat and eat if the food is offered. If not offered, they won't eat. It's that simple. My son was like that as a baby when he discovered solids, and would eat and eat and eat until he threw up or fell asleep. WE didn't know any better at the time, and it explained his colic when we were informed.

So, yes. Give him a FULL plate of food. Give him a dessert. You know in yourself that is sufficient. If he starts loosing weight, then bulk up his meals, but until then, you are in charge. Remember, this man can't really make decisions anymore and needs you to do it for him.

Cheers

Old 10-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Hi friends, I make mine with mayo also - and raisins, and no whipped cream. I love it. Any kind of nuts, walnut, pecan, or cashews.

My Mom always loved to eat and one of the saddest parts of her Dementia was how she lost her joy in eating. Let him eat. Soon enough that too will be gone.

Love,

Martha

The following user gives a hug of support to Martha H:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Martha H For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Hmmm....now where's my pencil...I have to add apples and walnuts to my grocery list for tomorrow!

I think you should let him have whatever he wants also...in fact, at the Alzheimer's facility where my Mom has been for the last 10 years...all clients are very much encouraged to eat-eat-eat!

Years ago, when I first noticed and asked about this, I was told that the time comes too soon where our loved ones cannot or will not be able to eat, so the idea is to "fatten 'em up".

My MIL who passed from Alz. just before Christmas, stopped eating several weeks before. She weighed under 70 lbs...it was difficult to see this, but we understood there was no going back with this disease. The Medical Facility my FIL resides in (Alz. also) has the same standard to allow them to eat all they can...........Pam

The following user gives a hug of support to petal*pusher:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to petal*pusher For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
(female)

gemini1961 HB User

Yes, eat eat eat, but not gigantic proportions! It will make them ill! Nursing homes DO encourage the eat eat eat process, but they do not encourage big meals.

Lots of littler meals is fine ... pre-breakfast cup of tea & biscuits. Breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, early dinner, supper ...... but make them normal proportions !!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to gemini1961:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to gemini1961 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

And here Little Deb thought she had an original family recipe... nope. But it's really good! we toast the cocoanut if we have time. and OH, put a couple of marachino cherries cut up in it also. My hubby was never a great fan of it, but we always had it for desert Sunday after our big meal after church. Yum. And Mom never made too big a bowl because Dad and I would just keep eating until it was gone....nad you don't really need that much whipped cream, do you? WEll yes we do, but that's beside the point!

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

You girls and not good for my waist line.... I had to make apple salad tonight after reading all the apple salad post

I also have an apple caramel pie in the kitchen. I had to use those other apples since IBake wouldn't take them!!

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

The tree kind or the two legged kind?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I can't fool you at all I made pies out of the tree kind and I guess the two legged kind as well.... and they are both DONE! hehe

Love, deb

Last edited by Gabriel; 10-27-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Closed Thread