It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Now I've gone and done it!!!!!!!

Good Morning Friends, Well I've messed up real good. I fell at the lake last weekend. Twisted my knee. Long story short, I broke my kneecap and tore my minuscus (sp?) The MRI results came back and now I have to see a ortho-surgeon. I'm in a riduclous brace, in pain unless I have it on.
Now for the good part. I'm getting Mom today and keeping her until Tuesday. She is having alot of trouble seeing. Her eye specialest is closer to me. We have a 8 am apointment. The only one I could get until January of 09. We are neither one in good shape early in the morning. So it should be interesting. Tuesday is both of my sisters birthdays. For several reasons we can't get together at their homes, so it was decided that we all should meet here for the day. Mom looks forward to our birthdays. We have always spent them together. Mom and her girls...........Mom and I are one day apart in August.
I think I'll be taking her home Monday evening after my husband gets home. Then my sisters can bring her back when they come on Tuesday.
I'm just so angry and discouraged. This is not a good time to hurt yourself. Two big holidays coming up that I really enjoy. I was so looking forward to BIG family gatherings.
Now the fact that I was holding a "margaretta" at the time has nothing to do with why I fell. My husband loves to say "She was protecting her margaretta when she went down on her knee". Its starting to annoy me now. LOL We have huge trees all around our place some of them drop the biggest nuts I have ever seen. We call them "ankle busters". Anyway I'm rambling, sorry.
Wish me luck with Mom. It should be interesting. The last time I had her spend the night she got up and said I had her in a coffin room...........WHAT??
She has been doing much better, health wise, the last two weeks. I'm hoping she won't be as confused as before.
Love to all,
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Now I've gone and done it!!!!!!!

Bless you Chris. I am glad to hear that your Mom has been doing better health wise for the last couple of weeks. Hopefully that will continue.

I do understand the "ankle busters" and also understand protecting the margaritta. I am truly sorry you did real damage to your knee. I am sure the next few days will be "interesting". That's the word I use when I don't want to be negative!!! I am sure you will manage. Remember... we can do anything for an hour, a day, or two days, IF we know it will end.

Is there a way one of your sisters could come the day before to help you with the appointment? It is usually easier when you can tag team. If not then let the sisters do the work for the birthday. You do what you can but remember that the first priority is to take care of yourself, and your knee, the best you can. You have to get better first to be able to help others to your full potential.

Perhaps this will be a stimulus for you to slow down and truly enjoy the holidays. My daughter has a great saying she throw at me often when I get "worked up" about something I have not managed to do. Mom.... is it really going to matter in 10 year??? Will anybody even remember??? Most time she's right

So.... do what you can, get the help you can, and don't sweat the small stuff! My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family for the next few days

Love, deb

Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I am so sorry you fell and hurt your knee.

Now, Chris, let me ask you something. Do you know how to use that little word, "no?"

You can barely take care of yourself right now. You will most likely need knee surgery to repair the torn miniscus. It takes a long time to recover. You will not be driving. You probably should not be driving now.

So, here is one solution: call the sisters and say, "I can not take Mom right now, I have a broken knee."

When they say "BUT you are nearest to her eye doctor! You have to!" answer, "why did God create cars? You girls get yourselves to her and take her home, and get her to her eye doctor." If someone picks you up you can celebrate the birthday together, otherwise you miss one year. You may prevent MONTHS of worse damage to your knee by NOT driving, not having company with all the concomitant preparation, and not taking care of your Mom...

Think about it. You, with a good, recovered knee will be able to do far more than if you damage it for life by doing too much this month.

Just my opinion -- but your doctor will probably agree...

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 11-09-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: sp

Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Well Mom is asleep and all is well for now. She got a good shower and alot of lotion all over. She loves that. Hubby was alot of help and all of the kids came to see her today. Sister #1 is very sick right now and sister #2 has two grandkids until tuesday morning. So its me or Mom doesn't see the Dr. and her eyes are so bad. Sisters are bringing the food Tuesday and I'm going to get their cake. It should be fine.
Spending the day with Mom was sweet. She tried to keep up with conversations. We tried to keep them simple. But I see that "stare" like no one is there. She just zones out. You know, that blank look? She loves to just watch the kids play. All in all a good day.
My knee is OK as long as I keep that stupid brace on. I'll have to wait and see what the surgeon has to say. Its my left knee. So driving isn't a problem. I just have to be careful when I get out. Thank God I have a Jeep so its not low to the ground. I understand what your saying Martha. But I'm always thinking that we may not have a "next year" with Mom.
Thank you for your concern. I appreciate it. I'm going to bed now and rest up for tomorrow.
Love to all
Chris

Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Glad your day with Mom went well. I hope the night and doctor's appointment tomorrow goes just as well. I am glad hubby and other's are pitching in. Remember.... take care of you!!

love, deb

Closed Thread