It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Quarantine

When you think it's all good something comes along and messes it up. I found out yesterday morning that Mom and Dad were in quarantine... according to Mom. It took me a while to figure out that there was a stomach virus going around and they had closed the dining room and suspended activities to see if they could stop the spread. Knowing Mom was "stuck in the room" I called her several times yesterday. Each time she was in great humor and we had some good belly laughs over the phone.... especially when Dad said I was married to my sister's hubby.

I was not home most of the day so I decided to call as soon as I finished supper. Mom was in a panic. Dad was so very sick. He had been sick for TWO days. She was worried and had gone to alert the staff but nobody would come. There is a pull cord by the bed but she refuses to use it. I ask when the last time staff had been in to check on him and she said they had not be in at all. I ask what Dad was doing and she said he was asleep. So I encouraged her to walk down the hall and find the caregiver. She did, with the phone in her hand, talking until it lost connection and cut off.

I waited a few minutes and caller her back. She swore she had not found a soul. I was just before hanging up and calling wellness. It was not two minutes until I heard the door open. It was my favorite caregiver. I recognized her voice. She ask Mom how she was and Mom said fine.... no mention of being upset. Then she ask how dad was and Mom said "FINE!" So I said.... MOM, tell her that you are upset about Dad. She repeated exactly what I said. "Tell her that you are upset about Dad." The caregiver got it. She went to check Dad... and Mom followed her and woke him up. It was obvious that they were very aware that Dad was sick and had been in repeatedly during the day.

He is sick. He has the stomach virus. I could tell he didn't feel good by his voice. He was so out of it he started talking about a cat. He was concerned where the cat was. It was out and if it got in somebody else's yard then they would have troubles forever more. Mom's arguing that there is no cat. So I just said... "MOM! Tell him I have the cat and I will take care of it." She repeated that to Dad. He ask if I wanted the cat and I told her to say... no I was just keeping it for him. He was satisfied and laid back down. BTW... my Dad doesn't even like cats!! Then Mom ask me if I minded keeping the cat. It was all I could do to not bust out laughing. The story was for Dad and she fell for it too. So now I have custody of the imaginary family CAT.

I know the staff is aware of the problem. Bless them!!! I made sure the local sisters knew about it and then called Mom back. By the time I hung up she was in much better humor and headed to bed. I realized that she was so upset because she really has NO clue what to do for Dad or if he truly is going to be ok. But I do know that the staff is on top of it and my favorite caregiver babies Dad like he was her own so they are in good hands. I am thankful on days like today that they are NOT home alone

Now I need to know what to do with the cat

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Re: Quarantine

Dear Deb, I think you should keep the cat!!!!!!!! You really need something to keep you busy. Lets face it Deb, you need to be a caregiver to someone or something. Might as well be a cat. Even an imaginary one.
Bless your heart. I'm glad that they are in Assisted Living also. It does take some of the load off of you. Doesn't it? I'm glad Mom is there too.
Switch on.........switch off. They are amazing aren't they? Laughing one minute, in on the joke and completely confused the next minute. No wonder they're anxious. With the rollercoaster ride they're on???? And we are hanging on to them with all of our might. What a ride we're all on. Geezzzz. Cute story by the way. Had to laugh when you said he didn't even like cats????
Love Chris

Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User

Bet you know what my suggestion is....

Introduce your cat (does she have a name yet?) to dad's stupid fat dog!!!!! They can have a whale of a time together!

Every single day of my life, I feed and water the cat, Minga, that belongs to my son. I scoop her litter box and brush her - because the boy HAD to have a long haired cat. (And this is why I vacuum every single day) Two months into cat ownership, he got tired of cat, and cat adopted my DH. Then, I feed and water daughter's dog, Maya. Jodi will only be with us till mid December, then hopefully, dog will leave. She's a sweet dog, but a real flight risk. Any open door is an invitation to zip outa here. Then I go to dad's, and feed and water and brush stupid fat dog, Mitzi.

I take care of 3 animals. Ain't none of 'em mine.

I think your cat is a spayed female, 8 years old, mixed breed, maybe tabby. She is no trouble and just lays on the sofa all day. I think her name should be "Emma". Your dad hated her. Your mom loved her. You tolerate her. Nice of you to take her in!

...lil' deb

Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am so laughing here.... I guess I am stuck with emma the old fat stupid cat that my dad doesn't like. Or perhaps I will just ship her off to little deb's zoo. Or better yet... maybe Chris needs a cat to care for hehe. Emma is no trouble at all ::snort::

love you gals!!! Deb

Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

BTW...the cat has to have meds every day and you need to give them to her in a piece of cheese. and she only like white american cheese!

I'm glad that your dad is doing OK. It's tough when you are connected by a phone cord and not by touch. I woke my cousin up out of a perfectly good slumber when my daddy wasn't feeling well. It was 3 am. "Nette-Daddy isn't doing well. Will you go and check on him? So off she went. this time was the time that they found the anuerism...and no more than 5 months later we lost him... good hands are welcome aren't they?

An exttra prayer for those caregivers who help us out so much...

Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have already called mom today and Dad is still sleeping. I am sure the care givers checked on him earlier because they always do. I told Mom to let the sleeping one stay alseep. He is recovering.... at least nothing is coming out. I could tell in her voice that she was a little distressed when I called but with some reassurance and a few funny stories she was more lighthearted when I hung up.

Yes Ibake, it is difficult when you are only connected by a phone cord. On days like today I am so very thankful for the staff at Mom and Dad's AL. They are so incredibly caring. We are not allowed to give the gifts.... though I can't help it if they pick up candy, cookies, or other goodies from the candy jar we have outside the door. But the facility does have a Christmas party that is funded by gifts from the families so we can show our appreication. That is will a sizeable check!! I also make sure I tell them all how much I appreciate them and also help them when I am there and see the opportunity. I will take Hank back to his room and save them the trip. I will get the drinks for Mom's section at meals. I will help serve during happy hour. I will watch a crowd on the patio and make sure they get in and out of the door as needed. I will hop of the bus and help take patients on and off since I can use the lift and know the locking mechanism. They know I have done this before and so appreciate the help.

Ibake..... I am glad you are back You were missed!!

Love, deb

Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Deb, am still away-just checking in while hubby is doing some work and I'm doing some laundry....

We visited Momma's and Daddy's graves first thing. I didn't do well at all-but I guess I should have expected that/ But the hard cruel marble reality was a blow I doubled over with, and the light snow pelted me and mixed with my tears...your face doesn't stick to marble when you cry though...

just though I'd stick my nose in...i was worried about y'all. We head home on Saturday. Winter is pushing it's way in here. It's cold and nippy and flurries keep trying to swirl around my feet. Trying to tease me into staying....

Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

My heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you IBake. I can only begin to imagine what you are going through. But know my thoughts are with you. We worry about you as well. I hope you found some comfort in your trip that you can take home with you. You parents will always be in your heart..... Glad you popped on. Have a safe trip back home!!

Love, deb

Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

Deb,

I hope your Dad starts to feel better soon from the stomach bug. I hope Mom doesn't catch it next. It must be difficult some days for you to have to do so much via telephone. I am sure it is not easy. Thank goodness they have wonderful caregivers. That must give you some peace of mind knowing they are looking in on them. I know if I hadn't moved back into my parents home with them I would of been doing just what you do calling and checking on them. Then jumping in my car every day to literally check and see how they are doing. Even though some days can be very challenging here with them, it is easier for me to be right here and have control over most situations that come up. Do hope that stomach bug clears up soon for him.

Love Pauline

Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Dearest Deb.....
Hoping your dad will feel better soon.......
I am amazed at how well you handle these situations with the "cat"......talk about diffusing an incident that could lead to upset. I guess you learn through experience huh?

Ibake....big hugs to you dear friend.....what a hard visit, but sounds like also a "needed" visit. I hope you feel all the support from your friends here...you can make it through it...come home safely.

Love, Caroline xo

Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB Userskimps46 HB User

I am so glad to hear from you. I know this visit was wonderful/awful, and I am sure that it did you a lot of good.

Vio con' Dios, mi amiga (Go with God, my friend). Hurry back. You are in my prayers...

...lil' deb

Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dad is feeling better....... and Mom has it now! Sister 4 sent e-mail tonight explaining their illnesses and then said..... since Mom and Dad are eating in the room (the dinning room is closed to stop the spread of this bug) that she thought she would take them philly steak and cheese but since they didn't want visitors there during the outbreak she might just order them a pizza delivered. Sister 2 thought that was a good idea. I just sat on my hands until sister 3... who is a nurse... explained to both of the school teachers that she was glad they didn't care for the sick. I about split my drawers laughing.... and haven't said a word.

Mom's humor was good when I talked to her tonight, even though she felt bad and had been throwing up. So typical... one gets it and passes it on. Hopefully by tomorrow she will be feeling better as well.

Carsam.... you learn to roll with the punches. It's easier to agree than to disagree. Just a little creativity will go a long way

Love, deb

Old 11-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

I hope your Mom is feeling better Deb. How is your Dad doing now? I pray nothing starts going around Moms place. With her Chrohns disease it would be a real problem for her.

ibake.....I know your visit home was necessary. Hopefully it will be the closure that you need. I hate that your hurting my friend. My time is coming I know and I will reach out and hold on to to all of you. As you have done with us. We miss you, take care. Let us know when your home safe.
Love Chris

Last edited by DrewsG; 11-14-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for asking Chris. They are both feeling much better tonight. Mom was rough this morning when I talked to her but was much better tonight... she had a LONG nap this afternoon. By tonight Dad was rambling his nonsense in the background while I was talking to Mom so I know he was feeling better. Mom is a little stir crazy. That is one reason I am calling 2 to 4 times a day. She has been in that room since Tuesday with Dad and then her sick. She's ready to get OUT!! The facility has extended the quarantine until Monday breakfast. They truly do try to squelch these rampant virusus. I hope all of our loved ones have a healthy winter.

Love, deb

PS Ibake... I look forward to your return and hope you have a safe trip home.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, you have got to laugh at this one! Mom and Dad were feeling much better yesterday but... Mom woke up this morning with diarrhea. Yep, the stomach virus is back. She had an accident when she got up and messed up the sheets. Then she had another one. She didn't pull the cord, call anybody, or go get help..... in the appropriate way. She went downstairs to the front desk and threw her messed up underpants on the desk. I'm not sure what she hoped to accomplish but.....

Sister 3 ended going over, despite the vistor ban. They would rather break the rules for one of us to be there than deal with mom when she doesn't feel well. Sister 3 has been there all day.

Tonight when I called Mom was in the middle of having a first class southern hissy fit. They brought Dad a good looking meal and mom got.... the standard diet for gastro intestional upset which included rice, jello, banana, LMAO She didn't have a problem when she got the good looking meal and dad got the rice but she sure will throw a fit if they think she's eating rice for supper lol

Oh well, Sister 3, me, and the entire staff of AL hope she is better tomorrow!!

Love, deb

Closed Thread