It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
problem gone...for now

Well my friends Moms problem with "picking " her nails seems to be over. I'm almost afraid to say it but she has stopped picking. She now has some nails there and I polished them. She is so proud of herself. We increased her anxiety meds a little and I guess that did the trick. Today we are having a fund raiser at her AL facility. It will help when we plan parties and outings. Some of the people can't afford extra things so this will help everyone.
When I called Mom this morning the first thing she said was "Do you know that I have nails now"? I pretended that I didn't know. "Really Mom thats wonderful". So sweet.
Just wanted you all to hear some good news from me. I seem to have very little when it concerns Mom. Funny how just growing some nails can make my day brighter!!!!!!!!
Love to all,
Chris

Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: problem gone...for now

Thank you, thank you for the good news. We so understand the little joys that we can get along the way and nails for you Mom is a reason to celebrate. I bet the little bit of anxiety med did help because picking, pacing, and other repeated behaviors can be a sign of anxiety... and they have lots to be anxious about and very little cognitive ability to deal with the anxiety. I am just happen that problem has abated for now.

I got Mom and Dad's AL bill Friday and had to laugh... Mom is feeling better. Now can I tell from the bill? You should see the hair care on her bill!!!!!! Ain't it strange the things we rejoice over....

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Dear Chris,
That's such great news! Little things can make such a big difference!

I hope your fund raiser went well. Sounds like your mom is in a fun, caring place. What a blessing!

Treasure these sweet memories. I know you do!

Emily

Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear Emily, The fund raiser went great. They raised about $600 dollars. That will be used for parties for everyone and for those who can't afford outings we can take them along. Some of the ladies have no one to care for them but the staff. So when they go out to eat these poor old souls can go along now. We just tell them its "free". Mom of course bought "stuff" that she didn't need. She had a good time though. She loves to shop.
It will soon be time to decorate for Christmas. I'm going to have to down size what I take to Moms. I've always stored her Christmas stuff. For the last 20 years. Believe me this woman has alot of stuff. Every year I take it to her, decorate, Sister 3 helps, then 4 weeks later I go back and repack it all and take it back to the basement. I'm frankly getting too old for this entire process. My husband carries it all up the stairs but now thats getting to his back. She may have demenita, but she remembers EVERYTHING she owns. And she wants it there. Not this year, I'm sorry. No can do.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...................Yeah right.!!! Until she gets sad because its not all there. We'll see. OK, I'm done complaining for today. I complain every year. Then I do it. Now I feel better.
Love to all
Chris

Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

!!SMILES!! I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to do it. Ok, I will think about it. No, I can't do it. Perhaps just part of of. OK, a little more. That's it. Ok, perhaps just one more box. Opps, there I did it again!! .... but I am not going to do it again next year.

That would be you! That would be me! That would be most of us most of the time. But it does feel better to vent, whine, and complain a little before we cave in. Eventually, somewhere down the road, in most cases, we will listen to ourselves.... or we will just keep doing the impossible as long as we can Perhaps it is our way of hanging on for just another minute to that little bit of the past that we can hang on to.

Love, deb

Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Gals, keep doing that as long as you can. I now can't do it and I have no idea what my cousins did with my parents Christmas things...some of which I really wanted to have. So cherish these few times that you have left to decorate and listen to their stories..soon they won't be able to remember them and they will be lost....

Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

With Mom's permission I took what was left of the old original christmas ornaments a few years back. Some of them were 50 years old. A friend of mine has a frame shop. I divided them into five groups of ornaments that were as equal as possible. Then I had them shadow boxed. The ornaments hang from ribbons. There is snow (fiberfill) in the bottom with an angel sitting in it that was also part of Mom's christmas collection. Then I included a small plaque with the family name and established the year Mom and Dad were married. Mom gave each daughter a little piece of Christmas on what turned out to be their last Christmas at home. Later I gave all the girls a picture of Mom decorating the tree in a matching frame

That might be a good idea to save those special ornaments...

Love, deb

Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear deb, Your shadow box gift is the most touching idea I've ever heard. I would love to receive something so treasured.
I'm going to keep this idea tucked away for the future.
Thank you,
Love Chris

Closed Thread