It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

LeighAnn6 HB User
Another ? Should I let her sleep or put her on a schedule?

Mildred likes her sleep and I have a very hard time getting her out of bed in the morning. She is on medication for diabetes which she needs 3x a day at meals.

Every morning that the home health aid comes, she gets Mildred up by 8 and she's a zombie until mid-afternoon. But on weekends, we let her sleep a little longer and have noticed that when we let her wake mostly on her own--and she won't budge until after 10 a.m. sometimes 11!--that her mood is considerably better.

Do you think we should let her sleep on her own schedule and just adjust her eating/medications times to that? She goes to bed between 8 and 9 p.m. so sleeping until 10 or 11 a.m. is a LONG sleep.

This would give me more time to homeschool my kids in the morning, BUT it would give Mildred less time at the adult day care on those days when we start taking her there. (And it's pay per day, not by the hour)

Any advice? Should she be on a more regular schedule just to keep her blood sugar levels as even as possible? (Yes, I will ask her dr. as soon as we ditch the one we found and *hated* and find a better one. *sigh*)

Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Another ? Should I let her sleep or put her on a schedule?

I just talked to Mom and Dad was in the shower to noon. He had just gotten out of bed. You Mom sounds like my Dad. He goes to sleep around 8 or 9 PM and usually sleeps until 10 or 11 AM. If you wake him up early he is a grump. If you let him get his sleep then he is in much better humor when he wakes up. Yes, he misses his breakfast but for him the sleep is more important. The fact is, he needs that much sleep. As his vascular dementia progresses so do the amount of sleep he requires. We have adjusted his schedule, not by bringing him back to our schedule but by letting him determine what his schedule is. We adjusted his schedule around him. He does get an early medication. They wake him up enough for him to take it and then let him go back to sleep. He misses breakfast so lunch is his first meal of the day. Then he eats an early supper and his third meal comes later in the evening. He is getting basically the same as if he woke up at 8 am but it's shifted back two hours to accomodate his need to sleep. This has worked for us and the AL.... even though Mom still complains that he sleeps too much

With the diabetes you want to keep her blood sugar as level as possible but you can give her an appropriate snack without getting her completely out of bed and then letting her go back to sleep. There is no reason they have to be on our schedule if that is not the schedule they need. The benefit to you is a morning with more time for the kids....

I do hope you find a good doctor. That is so very important, especially when you are dealing with a patient that can not tell you how they feel or what is wrong with them.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

I have found Mom likes to sleep until at least 9:00 most days. There have been days when it will go as late as 10:00. This causes a problem with my Dad because he is an early riser and he puts out her breakfast for her but she doesn't want to get up that early. She is Diabetic too so we do get concerned with the fact that somedays she is not getting her insulin till 11:00along with her morning pills. If she gets up to early then that will set the tone for a bad day. I feel let her sleep till she wants to. It really is a no win situation If she sleeps late then her medication is off BUT she is happier. If she gets up to early she is grouchy yet her medication is right on schedule. You just can't win.

Love Pauline

Old 11-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Our philosophy is "you wouldn't wake a sleeping baby, so don't wake the sleeping grandma!" We do need to adjust her schedule at times, like getting up in time for church and appts, but generally, I feel very blessed that my mother-in-law likes to sleep. I get myself up and together early enough that I have a chance to lie back down for a bit before I get her up, which I need for my back problem. That gets me through pretty well if she goes down for a nap in the late afternoon for an hour or so.

I wouldn't worry too much about how long she's at the day center. I'm in the same boat with that pay by the day, not by the hour thing. I'm not worrying about it. I want her to get as much time there as she can, but not at the expense of our sanity! We'll get her there as early as we can, but we're going to be relaxed about it so she can enjoy her time there and I can enjoy her time not here.

Emily

Closed Thread