It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
vascular event

When it rains it pours... Mom and Dad were finally over the stomach virus, Mom's temperment was improving, and this morning Dad started showing signs of a stroke, TIA, or blockage of some sort. His gait has been getting worse over the last few days and today he's talking garbble and "drunk" acting. He is in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. For those of you in the mix daily... it is just as hard to be out of the mix and be sitting and waiting....

Love, deb

Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: vascular event

Oh Deb,

I am so sorry. It's not just a reaction to meds do you think?(wishful hoping here) But it does sound like a small stroke...that will only add to Mom's distress too. The hill only gets slippreyer doesn't it? I'm hoping for good news and a quick return from the hospital for Dad...

You are in my prayers...Who has dad? Sister 2 or 3?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

Oh Deb. I'm so sorry honey.

I do hope this finds you able to cope. I can't say I hope you find its nothing because I'm sure when someone told you it could be a TIA event, they were probably right.

They always say God doesn't give you more than you can handle but unfortunately it comes awfully close sometimes doesn't it? I know I keep asking why I'm being tested in so many ways.

I'll just give you a towel to hold onto and say prayers for you and yours. All of us here will continue to wish you always the best.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Thank you both. Waiting is the hardest. IBake, I don't think it's med related. His meds have not been changed lately and they are given by staff. We had noticed a decline lately. He recently fell in the bathroom and didn't seem to rebound from the stomach virus back to his previous state. But he was doing much better yetersday and today is definitely a major downturn from every last night.

I just talked to Sister 4, who is at the hospital with Mom and Dad. She was actually in the room with Dad at the time and I could hear Dad in the background... with that thick tongued slur so typical of a vascular event. He had just had bowel incontinence. She also told me that he did not walk to wellness. Mom went down and got help because he was unable to walk down there. He was taken from the room by stretcher.

Sister 3 is home sick with a stomach virus which she aquired because she spent the day taking care of Mom and Dad on Saturday. Sister 4 is with Mom and Dad. I am trying to get in touch with Sister 2 who is evidently in the classroom and not near her phone. I was already scheduled to go Friday so I am trying to get in touch with sister 2 to put her on hold, in case somebody needs to go between now and Friday.

In the mean time there was yet another blow up between the sisters. I was in the process of trying to express my disdain for being invisible. They don't see me or what I do. They look through me to what sister 2 is unable to do because she is working.... and what I do is white washed as nothing more than a cover for sister 2. So the reason for my call to Sister 4 was to tell her I was trying to get in touch with Sister 2, call me if she needed somebody, and I would do what I could. If sister 2 can not go... I will give up my 5th row center seat I have for the TSO concert Thursday night even though they are my most favorite band every and I have been waiting for over a year to see them..... sigh!

And I wait again......

Love, deb

Last edited by Gabriel; 11-18-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Deb dear,

You're whining, and it's not becoming. You can go to the concert you know..and yes, you can fuss you know that. You have every right. You know what I think of your sisters three. But hon...go to the concert, then go to your dad. Let them argue back and forth and be angry and hateful. Then when they are done and the concert is finished, go to your parents. You know that they are going to blame you one way or another anyway..., right?...wait..what is dad's prognosis?

Last edited by ibake&pray; 11-18-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i am so sorry to hear this. i have 1 sibling and i rely on him as much as i can. go to the concert- i realize now there is nothing you can do except wait and wait and wait. take 2 hours for yourself and screw everything else. i know its so easy to say and so had to do. go with your gut. enjoy your life.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes IBake.... I was whining!!!.... and I'm done. Keep reminding me of my resolve!!

I called sister 2, told her she was going if needed, called sister 4 and told her if she needed help to call sister 2. Then I called sister 3 and told her what I had done and told her to take her stomach virus back to bed. I told ALL of them I would be at the concert Thursday night!!

....phone call.....

I just heard from Sister 3. They are checking Dad out of the ER as I type. They did a urinalysis for a UTI and it came back clean. They are going to culture it but don't expect to find anything. The catscan showed old infarctions (lots of them) but nothing they could determine as new. Finding anything new would be like finding a tiny waldo!! So we still don't know for sure but as the doctor said... if it is a new vascular event we wouldn't do anything more than we are already doing.... feed him blood thinners. So they are sending him home. He did get a courtesy visit from his cardiologist who agreed. So we will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for everybody's prayers and wishes..... you are all the best!!!

Love, deb

Old 11-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

You're in my thoughts and prayers Deb! Hope you can go to that concert and just be a normal human being for a couple hours!

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 11-19-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Try to make it to the concert deb. Easy for me to say, Right? I'll be thinking of you........having a great time. Then deal with whatever comes after.
Sisters?? I have two. Nothing else to say. I thank God for them but sometimes....................They're just too much for me. They don't fight like your sisters. They just gripe to me about each other. I'm the middle sister. Not a good place. Good luck. Keep us updated on your Dad.
Love,
Chris

Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am not sure what happened yesterday because I was not there. I only know what I was told. After hearing nothing last night I called this morning and talked to the sitter. Dad was standing in front of the bathroom mirror combing his hear. I also found out that Dad had an appointment with his cardiologist today that I was not told about. I signed on the computer to get yet another nasty gram from sister 3 this time. I have tried to call Sister 3 and 4... left messages on all their phones.... and nobody has called me back yet. I am so tired today.....

Love, deb

PS.... I AM going to the concert tomorrow... They can all kiss my...

Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGabriel10 View Post
They can all kiss my...
hand and kneel before me in admiration. That's what you meant, right?

Emily

Old 11-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you Emily!!!!!! I was at a loss for the right words....

Love, deb

Old 11-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I finally got more information about Dad. He was having Atrial Fibrillation, probably cause by his Coronary Artery Disease thus the Cardiology visit today. That would explain his lack of energy and weakness. He is a fall risk because of his leg weakness. He is on such large doses of Plavid that he bleeds out whenever he falls. Weighing the two issues the Cardiologist decided to take him off the Plavix and no other protocal of treatement. I completely trust Dad's Cardiologist... he is a long time family friend that has treated him for 31 years. We were lucky that he just happened to be in the ER last night stopped to hug Mom. Dad will receive his new Walker tomorrow morning. Let's see how that works

Here is the bizzare part... It was Sister 4 that called me. We discussed Dad's condition, fiancials, and my impending trip to Raleigh this weekend. I was for the most part quiet and let her talk... when the facts were exchange I said good bye... We will see what this weekend brings....

But I do agree that with Dad's current condition, and just going off his Plavix, that it is better to have a family member available. Sister 3 and 4 are going to a BIG football game Saturday so that person will be me. I can be angry with them... but I will never ever let it take away from what I do for my parents. Yes IBake..... I'm still accommodating but that's what I do.....

Love, deb

Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

Deb,
Enjoy your time at the concert. It will be a good night out for you. Sometimes I think we worry and get so emotional involved with our loved ones we have a tendancy to put doing something fun on the back burner. I know I do lately. I am glad to hear things got resolved with what was going on with your Dad. I tell ya those blood thinners can be quite dangerous. That is what caused Mom's major Gi bleed last year. It was the combination of Plavix coumadin and asprin. The cardiologist put her on for afib and after having a stent put in. I am glad your dad is back at home and didn't have to be admitted to the hospital. It is good idea that you'll be there to watch him over the weekend coming off the Plavix and every thing.
Have fun tomorrow night!

Love Pauline

Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pauline, I understand the GI bleed problem. Dad has been off and on blood thinners for years. Bleeds take him off and worsening vascular problems put him back on.... over and over. There is some new research that indicates the combination of Prilosex and Plavid can increase the chance of heart attack... and that is a combination that is used for those like your Mom and my Dad. Just a tidbit of information I picked up from a pharmacist friend that keeps tabs on Mom and Dad's meds.

Sister 2 is with Mom and Dad today. His speach is some better but he is definitely week and sleeping more. That would be explained by the AFib. I am glad I am going tomorrow. I need to make my own assessment and not get information second hand.

Right now I am going to jump in the shower and get ready for supper and the show. Before I met my best friend, who is going with me, I need to find bed risers to lift Dad's chair a few inches so it will easier to get out of and a waterproof pad for the bed. Sister two is washing because under the professional definition of incontinence, Dad is there now. He's definitely on one of those Vascular Dementia fast slides...

Love, deb

Closed Thread