It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User
Precious rare moments.....

Dear ladies......
Grandma is more often than not in her AD world, and has been for a long time now. But she does have moments where she "comes back" as I call them. A few months ago, on the day mom told Uncle I was pregnant, Grandma was having one of her "good" moments and was so very happy for me. How could I be so lucky that she would have one on the day of my good news?
Yesterday, I found out I am blessed to be having another little "boy".......I am thrilled. Although grandma had 6 girls and 4 boys, her sons were always "extra special" to her.
So today, I am blessed again that when mom told Uncle I am having a boy.....grandma again was right there to "hear" the good news and was so happy. I know tomorrow she may say "what, what are you talking about?" But at least on the day of my good news, my grandma was there to hear......

I thank God for these moments......

Love, Caroline xo

Old 11-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Precious rare moments.....

As you should be Caroline. What wonderful new for you from both directions. I am glad your grandmother was having a good day and congratulation on having a new baby boy..... blue snuggles for you Treasure all the precious rare moments you can grab hold of......

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Aw, that's wonderful news Caroline! You will always have that precious memory that Grandma knew a blessed baby boy is on the way.

Baby boys are a blessing....they grow up to be bigger than you, but they always have a special bond with you. At the same time, they're very protective of their mom!

Treasure this time in your life with your flutters in your belly. Before you know it, your kids are in their 20's and you can't hold their hand; only their heart.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Congratulations! It's great to have two boys! Pals for life. My two sons live wide apart (on in Florida, one in Germany) but the one getting married in March will have no one else but his brother to be his best man. They keep in touch by phone and email and are very close, although 8 years apart in age.

My daughter also has two sons, now 6 and 8 -- a houseful of boys. I have the privilege of minding them once or twice a week. I wish you every happiness, a safe and enjoyable pregnancy and delivery, and a lifetime of joy with the two lovely sons.

Love,

Martha

Old 11-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aww thanks ladies.....
I'm learning just that, to savour every positive moment I can, and try to dwell more on the positives when they come. It's a little bittersweet as Grandma is in end stages of her illness, somehow I wonder if this baby will be a joy to help in the pain of losing her.....where we lose someone we love but are blessed to gain another......it is certainly a possibility. Grandma raised 10 kids and has taught me many of her old "wivestales" on how to take care of children, I remember all of her "tricks of the trade".......and her words of wisdom and will always remember them.......
Love, Caroline xo

Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

A boy! How wonderful. I have bonds with my sons that are deep and strong and will never be broken. I cherish my boys! You are so blessed to have another little one.

And God knew that your Grandma needed to be with you to hear about the little one...she will remember until she passes. I know that my mother did. She remembered that my #2 son was having a baby until she passed. And she even told me that it was going to be a boy! She told us before they found out.... Tell me how she knew that!

Enjoy the news and the moment and the memories. They are a gift to treasure.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

carsam - reading your post brought a warmth in my heart. I think that's wonderful that your grama was lucid enough to comprehend the news and able to share in your joy! Enjoy those moments, grama will always always be there in your heart, in your life.....with her tricks of the trade and her wives tales! She sounds like a very special lady! Hugs going out to you.....

Old 11-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ibake....thanks for your message dear friend. It is good to have you home.....
I'm sure your mom just knew your son was having a little boy. They just have an instinct when it comes to babies.

Rosequartz - thanks also for your note.....many times I read posts on here that just bring a smile to my face.......yes, my grandma is very special.....

Thanks again ladies...
Caroline xo

Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Goosbumps...just a nice flush of goosebumps! So happy to have you share your good news Caroline!

Isn't it strange how our loved ones surprise us? Even at the end stage (10years), there is a rare moment with my Mom that she seems to realize I'm there with her....you've been needing some gentle snuggly-good-feelins' to come your way..................Pam

Old 11-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

So true Pam, how they surprise us. From all the posts I read on here, everyone's loved ones seem to have these moments, whether they're heartwarming, or just plain humorous, but it's like there are "flashes", when God bless them, they are lashing out at this awful illness and being the person they once were. I know they are few and far between, but I like to think this is their way of saying the disease will never get 100% of them, there are always those moments that it cant touch......moments where their hearts and minds come back to those they love for some brief seconds.
Really and truly, rare moments to cherish.....I'm sure we all do......

Love, Caroline xo

Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

Congratulations on the baby. May he abound you with wonderous tales and beautiful memories.

these bright moments of someone whose mind is far away is a blessing from God so that we remember who they were not who they are.

Enjoy

Take Care

Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

So I am 5 months pregnant now, and unlike my first pregnancy, none of my family overseas even know I'm pregnant, due to the fact that hardly anyone is speaking anymore.
Anyways, my mom finally decided to tell Uncle #2 yesterday, as he's the only one left she talks to other than Uncle #1 who looks after grandma.
So guess what? He already knew!!! And guess who told him? My grandma!!!! Weeks ago, she told him she had a secret, that there was going to be a new "child" in the family.......
Somewhere, 3000 miles away, in her confused little mind, full of fear and hallucinations on a good day.......my grandma is still there. Still being happy for me...and sharing my good news. This both warms my heart and breaks it at the same time. (Tears.....) I was so happy she was able on the days to hear my good news, but for her to be able to "pass it on".......just shows this illness will never take her completely........
God bless my grandma, I miss her so much.....

Love, Caroline xo

Old 11-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

That is so heartwarming!!!
Bless your grama's heart......

Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I can only imagine how heartwarming that news is for you Caroline. How wonderful to know your grandmonther understood. She must have been extremely excited about this little piece of news for it to find it's way through the plaques and tangles and stick in her heart. Bless her, bless you for giving her that moment, and bless the new son that is on his way.

Love, deb

Old 11-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

Caroline...how nice to read a post that brings a smile! We all share our personal challenges and stories here...and sometimes we overlook those glimmers of light that appear!

I love that your Grandma understood this very important event in your life...you must be very special to her...and she realizes a part of HER will continue also. I can just imagine that coy little smile as she revealed her "secret"!

Wonderful little things like this will be the stories your new little one will cherish........sending love....Pam

Closed Thread