It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
(male)

awm1975 HB User
The whole system is rotten

My father is 79 and is suffering from Alzheimer's. He's been in a hospital for 2 months awaiting a bed in a nursing home.

The hospital and I have spoken w/ nearly 40 facilities. Here is what they all say:

1. They don't have a secure dementia unit.
2. If they do have a dementia unit they do not have any male beds open.
3. The ratio of female to male beds is between 4 to 1 to 6 to 1 and the waiting list for males is roughly 50 long.

I searched the web to see if I could read some articles about these issues. Can't find anything.

I'm really upset that the situation is as bad as it is and so few seem to care. I'm not writing for advise, I just want to know if other are experiencing the same issues or is it just my area. I don't understand why it is so difficult to find help for my father.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: The whole system is rotten

I know you stated you don't want advice, but you're probably better off getting an elder law attorney to help you; family physician; or someone that can cut through the red tape.

I know there are plenty of NH's in WNY, Albany is not that far from there...have you first tried to apply to a facility? Most times after an application is on file at the facility of choice, it is much easier to get a resident placed.

Best of luck...I do know how hard all of this is...you learn as you go through it.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 11-19-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

That is terrible. We had no problem getting my Mom into a nursing home - as a result of a broken hip she was in rehab, and when the rehab didn't work, they kept her on in the NH section. This was in New York also (downstate, Long Island) - and in the NH there were quite a few men. In fact the nurses told us they have far more women because women live longer and because husbands are not as willing to be home caregivers as wives are.

I was never told they couldn't take anyone because they were male or bcause their AD was too far advanced, they kept my Mom there untl she died in December 08.

When her savings were all used up my brother contacted an Elder-lawyer who helped him to get all the necessary paperwork together to get Mom on Medicaid, which worked after a 3 month period of 'spending down".

I wish you luck. Keep trying. The place is out there, you just don't have the right information. The hospital social worker can help, also their financial department (it was the lady in the billing office who helped us with the transferral from a private paying patient to a Medicaid patient, and recommended the lawyer to help us.)

Good luck!

Martha

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Since Medicaid beds are awareded by the state there is some limitation on the number. Here the beds are awared based on the need of the area. The application and award process is long and involved. Facilities can add private pay beds without award. As far as Male/Female beds... where I worked the only thing that limited a bed to Male or Female was the other half of a semi private room. We didn't like to mix genders, though we did have a few husband wife couples in a semi private room. We did see more female patients than male patients. I think Martha hit on why... females just make better caregiver in general. We had a relatively short waiting list when I was there. I do understand it got longer but then more beds were added.

Here we have a boom of AL specializing in ALZ like the one Mom and Dad are in. They have AL apartments, a secure ALZ unit, and then actually move them back into a single room with hospice until the end. The residents bring their own furniture and it is a more homey atmospher than a NH. They are designed so the patient can stay there from move in to death.... unless they have medical conditions that require NH. They are not as expensive as a NH but they don't take Medicade either. We have been very happy with the care so far.... and Mom and Dad are as happy as they can be.

Keep searching. Perhaps check with your local Alzheimer's Association to see if they have recommendations. Make sure that you ask to be put on the waiting list at the facilities you talk to. That way they will call you back when they have a room available. Most don't do that unless you ask them.

I do hope you find something soon. Keep looking

Love, deb

Closed Thread