It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
To the Alums....

Ibake, It is good to have you back and read your common sense post that are so filled with your unique brand of straight forwardness and humor.

Martha, It is good to have you still here as well with your experience and caring way. You can tell it like it is.

To both of you... I know your initial reason for being here has passed but your contribution is priceless. We need you and appreciate you staying to help us who come behind you. You have lifted me up so many times and I cannot thank you enough.

To all the other.... you are my sanity and my towel buddies.

Some days it is all of you that keep me upright and moving forward.... and for that I thank you!

Do something nice for yourself today.....

Love you all, deb

Last edited by Gabriel; 11-20-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: To the Alums....

Thanks for posting this, Deb. There have been many days that I've thought the same thing. I come on here overwhelmed and discouraged and go away with nuggets of wisdom and encouragement. Thank you, Ibake and Martha, for hanging in here with those of us who are still in the throws of caring for our loved ones. And thank you to all you other veterans, too, including you, Deb, who have gripped the other end of my towel when I thought I would go over the edge! You ladies are the BEST!

Love, Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

What a wonderful post Deb.......I'm sure everyone will feel exactly the same.
I also thank Martha and Ibake for continuing to come here and share their valuable advice and their hearts and time.
Deb, the same to you......you are like the "big sister" of the group. I for one know I can come here anytime, and know I will always get a response, always!!

And if you guys havent noticed, our group is growing. It's a shame so many people have to find this board, but thank goodness they do. I think the fact that so many people have joined and signed up for their "towels" is a testament to the wonderful and "regular" ladies that are here giving of themselves every day.

Each and every person here is a blessing!!!! I still go back and read L'il Deb's thread "Who are we", because I love to read everyone's stories.....all of them so amazing....I feel so lucky to be part of this group!

Love, Caroline xo

Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
(female)

quetzalmom HB User

I wish to add my thanksgiving. When I came here in need, you wiser ones helped me see that the baggage of past family dysfunction had to be shed, that I was dealing with an illness. Now that I see it for what it is, I can do it. All credit to those who've walked this road, and possess the grace to share their wisdom.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

kenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB User

Oh, what a year it has been. I had been a member here but had lost touch. I was Kenbob before, but lost my password. Anyway, my wife, Betsy was diagnosed with Pick's Dementia just over a year ago. Since then, we've been thru it. I finally had to place her in a nursing home about a month ago. Caregiving had become a 24/7 job. And was just wearing me out.

I finally just came to the realization that I had to make the decision for my daughter (15 now) What's best for the living, not the dying.

Also was let go from my job at the end of June, so there was added stress.

Anyway. Betsy seems quite content at the NH. I go twice a week to check on her. She connects briefly when I first get there, then just kind of fades away. I usually stay only 15 - 30 minutes. I can finally leave there without feeling guilty.

We are doing great at home now. My daughter is much happier...and so am I. We are starting to find out what a "normal" life is.

Thanks Deb and Martha, for all of your support early-on. You all made it so much easier to cope with. Now that I've taken the Express Lane thru most of Pick's, I'm hoping that I can be of help to someone else who may be just getting started.

Have a great holiday. Ken

Old 11-23-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Glad you came back and told us how things are going, Ken. I am glad your wife is safely in a NH now. I am sure it is better for your daughter too.

Happy holidays to you too!

Love,

Martha

Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

kenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB User

Hey, Martha. So good to hear from you again. I thought I was the only person up this early.

Never did I expect for this to go so quickly. I've gone from never having even heard of Pick's to being able to write a book on it.

But I just want to encourage everyone by saying that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Just take it one day at a time, and you WILL make it thru.

Later. Ken

Old 11-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

It is so good to hear from you Ken. I am glad that you have found the light at the end of your tunnel... or at least have it in sight. No I was not up that early in the morning. After spending 11 hours with Mom and Dad and their new problems, dealing with my siblings, and a 3 hour drive home..... I slept in!! But, it was such a pleasure reading your post when I wondererd here rubbing my eyes. It was uplifting and encouraging.

It is amazing how fast the experience can push the learning curve. You learn way more than you ever wanted to know. Perhaps you should write a book. Those penned by ones who have walked the path always seem to be more insightful than those written by the so called experts. And your knowledge is most valuable in places like this. Nothing compares to the one on one contact with those that truly understand from experience. So I am very glad you are back.

Love, deb

Closed Thread