It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User
Good news unrelated to AD

I'm just so excited that I have to share some good news. When DH was diagnosed, we had two kids in high school and one who was only 10. It's been a struggle and I have been a single parent and sole support of our family for many years now (going through the college admission process, tuition bills, guidance, juggling two in college for the last two years, etc.). Our oldest is graduating from college this year AND HAS JUST BEEN ACCEPTED TO LAW SCHOOL! I'm so proud of this kid! For any spouse who is overwhelmed by dealing both with a younger family and early onset AD, this is proof that we can do it!!!

Last edited by Beginning; 11-22-2008 at 03:58 AM.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User
Re: Good news unrelated to AD

Beginning

It's like having traveled through a long tunnel all this time. Some parts of the tunnel were dark and dreary. Never thought you would make it to the other side. Now you have come through the tunnel and there on the other side is such a wonderful positive event!!! That is Great news. As a parent you must feel so overwhelmed with so many emotions right now!!
That is just wonderful for you and your family. Law school what an accomplishment.

Love Pauline

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Congratulations! Wow, what an achievement. I wish both you and him a bright and happy future.

Love,
Martha

Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Good Job Beginning, You have good reason to be so proud. Well done. Our daughter is a single Mom raising a special needs little boy, Drew. I know how hard things can be for her. Not much help from his Dad. Three children WOW. I'm so happy for you. You have to be a special Mom.

Congratulations to you and your son.
Love Chris

Old 11-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

petal*pusher HB User

What a wonderful reason to rejoice...and how good it is to have you share your good news!

I simply cannot imagine the challenges you...and your children...have had. Most of us gather here because of a parent inflicted with this horrific disease...there is no comparasion to what you've all survived!

How proud you ALL must be...this is a success for all of you! You're doing so much RIGHT in this struggle! Sending wonderful wishes your way, my friend....Pam

Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

That is absolutely phantstic news Beginning. A big congratulatins to him for all the hard work he has put into his education. His future is bright. A great big kudo to you. You are doing so much right and your children are the proof. You are handling an impossible situation in an amazingly right way. Thank for so much for sharing the super news. Sometimes we surprise even ourselves when we set our hearts, minds, and souls on a mission.

Love, deb

Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

That is great news. I know the proud-ness you feel because I feel it each and every day I look at my kids, where they are in their lives, what they're doing with their lives.

I cry, scream, and hit pillows! each time something happens with regards to the need of decisions that would've been done by the two of us and now falls upon me. I can't take it and even with boyfriend, it doesn't always help. He sees things differently than I know my Mikey would've. He tries but its not the same so I cry a lot! for the injustice of it all and the overwhelming times it hits me as a 'single' parent.

My two are working part-time jobs to do college courses at a full-time level. Both my kids have done school with no assistance from student loans since when I file I keep getting denied for some unexplained reasons. We paid and struggled so much to have them in a catholic school because our public school system stunk so badly, that we never had the ability to save for any college needs of the future.

Be proud. For all of us, we are proud right along with you. For our own joy and those of this group that support one another. Give thanks to the Lord and you for your son and his accomplishments. They always say that our children immitate what they see and you and your DH must have set some hellava example. Kudos to you both even though DH isn't aware of it.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:48 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User

Thank you all! I can't share my happiness with DH, and it's wonderful to be able to talk about good things (as well as our troubles) with other people -- especially people who understand how precious moments of happiness are when your life revolves around being an AD caregiver around the clock.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I can identify with that empty feeling when you so much want to share something with your loved one who has passed on. My youngest son, my "baby", is graduating with a PhD in a few months, and after that his wedding - and how I would give anything to tell Mom all about it! He is also her youngest grandchild, and the only one in the whole extended family to ever get this much education -- but I think she knows, from wherever she is, even though I can't direcly tell her ...

Love,

Martha

Old 11-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Martha - You must be so thrilled! You were handling so much with your Mom's illness, and it's wonderful that you had "Mom Accomplishments" at the same time as your son went through the studies and degrees leading to his doctorate. Congratulations!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Beginning, May your child help fight for those who suffer with this disease. May this child fight for funding to find a cure to end this horrid disease.

I am so excited for you. This must be a dream come true. all the best....

Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

IBake&Pray - You can bet on this child working hard for funding for this disease! Through college, this kid volunteered at a nursing home with AD patients on weekends, and was on the speakers' panel for our local AD Association traveling to events to talk about how early onset AD affects families at fundraising events (in addition to holding down jobs, being an officer of an honors society at college and helping with Dad). When selecting law schools for applications, the oldest looked for schools with health care concentrations or certificates.

Middle kid is on track for a career in a medical field (A-s in organic chem and calculus, which amazes me). Youngest wrote an article for an Alzheimers' magazine this summer, and already has a few hundred hours volunteering at a hospital. Youngest willingly and with a loving heart carries a very heavy burden of caregiving, helping me with Dad when the paid caregiver leaves and on weekends, instead of going to the mall, joining clubs or school sports, etc.

Alzheimers and aging have affected our family so signifcantly that my kids are totally focused on making life better for older people and patients with dementia. Who knows if they would have become accountants, engineers or teachers if they hadn't lived with AD? I guess life experiences always affect our future choices, so their focus on improving health care and the lives of AD patients is not surprising.

Last edited by Beginning; 11-24-2008 at 02:30 AM.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am not surprised Beginning..... they absolutely learn what they live. My daughter spent a good chunk of her growing up in the LTC facility with me. More than one person told me I should not expose her to such. Yet she is the one that is always volunteering to do something with the elderly and is the one that feels comfortable with Mom and Dad. Compassion is a learned behavior. Your children reflect your caring compassion. They have taken a horrible situation and found a way to turn it into a positive. They will make a difference and for that you can be very proud.

Love, deb

Closed Thread