It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Smile A Day of Thanks

On this day of thanksgiving I am thinking about all the good times I had with my Mom. This is the first Thanksgiving Day without her. I have a terrible cold and will not join my daughter and her in-laws for the big dinner - I don't want to infect everyone else, and don't really have any appetite. But I will use the day to remember good times, good memories, happy days. Growing up in NYC we went to the Macy's Parade every year, often in light snow. My baby brother sat on my father's shoulders. Mom was home preparing the turkey. We took the subway home after the parade. My Uncle came with two pies from Cushman's Bakery.

Now I am a grandmother in Indiana and we have other tradtitions and other memories. Cold and snow, a country landscape. But the turkey remains, so do the pumpkin pies ... and thank God there are little ones to enjoy.

I will also pray for Alzheimer patients everywhere and their wonderful caregivers, and also pray for our economy, people like my son who have lost their jobs, and for peace.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Love,

Martha

Old 11-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Re: A Day of Thanks

Thank you dear Martha. I hope your better soon. There is no doubt in my mind this will be Moms last Thanksgiving with us. She is just too ill. But we'll bring her here and enjoy being with her. Keeping my fingers crossed for an uneventful day. I know you miss your Mom and I'll be thinking of you today. ibake is also missing her Mom and Dad. And Janie is missing her much loved husband of course. Thank you so much for staying here with us. We love you.
Yes, Thanksgiving is different now. My grandkids are wonderful and make me smile. They'll help get me through this day with my poor little Mom. Can't seem to stop the tears this morning. I've got to cook and put on my smile.
Take care of yourself Martha
Love to all Chris

Last edited by DrewsG; 11-27-2008 at 05:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Thank you for the wonderful thread Martha and hope you feel better soon. Even with this horrible disease invading my family I have so much to be thankful for. I still have my dad, 31 years after I was told he would not be with us any longer. What an incredible blessing he is in my life. Mom's anxiety has stablilized somewhat. As annoying as my sisters can be I am thankful I have them. And my precious daughter, what a delight she is. I am thankful that my Mom taught me all her cooking tricks. Even though I will grumble I will cook many turkeys over the holidays. I am thankful for my best friend that hold me up and I am so very thankful for all of you. Your caring, compassion, experience, guidance, and love is priceless.

I pray for each of you and your loved ones. My thoughts and prayers surround Martha, Ibake, and Janie as they find their way to new traditions and hold tight to good memories. I wish the best for each and every one.

Off I go to cook turkey for two....

Love, deb

Old 11-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Dearest friends....
Although I am from Canada and have already celebrated Thanksgiving....I hope you'll allow me to give thanks along with you all for all the blessings in my life. For my beautiful son, my other beautiful baby boy on the way, my husband, parents, friends, and my wonderful Uncle and Grandma on this journey we all share together. I am thankful for every bittersweet moment.
And I am thankful for this wonderful group of friends......I only wish I could be even more blessed to know you in real life.
Love and prayers to all, and special thoughts to Martha, Ibake, and Janie who are missing their loved ones this holiday.

Love, Caroline xo

Last edited by mary09; 11-27-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

polina HB Userpolina HB User

Thank you Martha for sharing your wonderful memories of past Thanksgivings with us. I really enjoyed reading about them. Those are memories you will have forever!! This morning as I was sitting drinking my coffee I was reflecting on all the past Thanksgiving Days I have had with my Mom. I couldn't help but think how things have certainly changed through the years. Thanksgiving Day was always my favorite holiday. I enjoyed the warmth of getting together with family and just sitting around the table enjoying a big home cooked meal. I have the best memories of Mom getting up at the crack of dawn preparing the Turkey. Now to this day whenever I see a box of Bell's seasoning I think of Mom on Thanksgiving morning making the stuffing. Today, Dad and I had our dinner with Mom at the Rehab facility where she has been for a month now. Before dinner my brother and his wife and kids came in to visit.. It was a wonderful day for mom she sat and looked around as we all sat around her and smiled and said The whole family is practically here. Even my Nephew home from college was there so that made her very happy. It truely was wonderful day for her. Although I could see she got very tired out early and fast it must of been all the visitors. When I left a t 6:00 she was going to get into bed she was pooped out. I am so gald we had this Thanksgiving Day with her!!!
I hope all of you had the opportunity to spend it with your loved ones!

Love Pauline

Last edited by polina; 11-27-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
(female)

Janie5301 HB User

I too have many wonderful memories of family and friends...thanks to all of you. I am blessed to have both of my sons home this holiday, two beautiful granddaughters, inlaws etc. I guess we all have lots to be thankful for and I for one give thanks daily. I may be living now without my sweet DH but I know I have to go on and live each day with compassion and love for all those who are dealing with much more than I. When I think of it, it humbles me.

Thank you for all the kind words......
Janie

Closed Thread